Fresh Mint

480-443-2556

13802 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 85254

Small veggie restaurant with modern decor. Menu includes citrus spare ribs, black pepper steak, tapioca dessert, and others. The owners were the original creators of Fresh Mint in Paia, on Maui island. All vegan food, but some desserts may not be vegan. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm. Closed Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Thai, Vietnamese

First Review by energie

bland - Edit

We drove quite a while to find Fresh Mint.
Pro: portion size
Con: nothing special, bland sauce on Pad Thai. The 7 Veggie plate was just the pad thai without the noodles. Lemonade huge but too sweet.
The owner is nice and tries his best, his wife is the cook but he thinks a bit too highly of his food and should try to make it more flavorful.

Cons: lacks flavor

dishonest management and staff - Edit

This restaurant owner is serving non-vegetarian food in disguise of vegan restaurant.

All of his bakery items contains eggs and some may contain gelatin based icing too!!!

There is no exclusive mention about this. If you ask they may tell you truth or may not - all depends on their naive staff's mood.

I have met dozens of vegans who complained about non veg items but this owner is out of his ethics. When I asked for clarification he gave me a lame excuse saying "we don't have vegan bakery in Phoenix area!!" Can you believe it??

I have been buying vegan cakes from N number of bakeries in Phoenix from years. He just wants to dupe customers with cheap quality of standards and products.

Stay out of it respecting your dignities and allergies..

Pros: none

Cons: lying management, non veg product under vegan label, over priced

Love this place! - Edit

Service is great. I love that they're entirely vegan, minus a few desserts that they get from another restaurant, and the food is so clean and fresh. Not heavy on oil. The owner is an amazing cook! Their lunch specials are very reasonably priced at $8, and provide a hearty serving of food.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 25, 2016

Pros: Lively atmosphere, Great service, Amazing vegan food!

Love Fresh Mint - Edit

Great food, great prices...

Pros: Good Food, Good Value, Nice Vibe

Cons: Far From My Home

bliss - Edit

Great small traditional thai food restaurant. Fast service, delicious sauces and the veggies kept their integrity(so important to me). I'll be back.

You must try this place - Edit

Try: coconut milk tapioca and stuffed tomatoes.. AMAZING!

Pros: many vegan options, great interior design , great service

Cons: across town

Good, but there is much room for improvement - Edit

I've returned since they've reclassified themselves as vegetarian instead of vegan.
The Clay Pot "fish" and vegetable fried rice are both very tasty. I especially love the flavors of the Clay Pot soy fish dish. This may be my favorite dish. The vegetable fried rice comes with a veggie beef, but for a couple more bucks you can add veggie chicken as well.

I agree with the person who said the Imperial Rolls were different. They no longer taste fresh. I agree that they are probably pre-made, frozen, and re-heated, and the quality suffers greatly due to this. I was so put off by the stale taste that I ended up throwing them away.

I ordered a side of roasted potatoes, which has an excellent flavor. However, I only got 10 little smaller-than-a-tater-tot pieces of potato for $4. With that portion, this side dish shouldn't exceed $2.

They loss an extra cow due to the poor service. They had a teenager, who I believe may be the owner's son, manning the register and taking the to-go orders. He was a rude kid with much attitude and a condescending demeanor. It was very hard to hold my tongue. If they know what's best for business, they'd remove him from the front and add someone with personality and customer service skills.

They need add more vegan dessert options. It isn't hard to find great tasting vegan cakes in the valley, so I do not understand why they're jeopardizing being a 100% vegan eatery solely based on non-vegan desserts.

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 03, 2012

---------------------------------

I have visited twice and ordered the Kung Pao & Black Pepper Steak specials, and the Imperial Rolls. Everything was delicious. I loved the spices, flavor, & the preparation. They even included steamed veggies. There is enough food in each entree to either feed 2 people or last 1 person 2 days.

However, when I asked about their desert I was told that the tapioca was vegan, but the chocolate & carrots cakes may not be. She said that they come from an outside vendor so she wasn't sure.

Well, my thoughts are that if you are branding your establishment as 100% vegan, then everything you sell darn well should be.

Pros: large portion entrees, Tasty food, Plenty of parking

Cons: skimpy portioned roasted potatoes side order, needs more vegan desserts

On the decline :( - Edit

Fresh Mint used to be my favorite vegan restaurant in the valley in 2010. I loved their pad thai and their imperial rolls. The man (husband of the chef?) was always so friendly and nice and donned a Hawaiian shirt. But when I went gluten-free, I had little reason to go here. Their gluten-free menu is full of very plain, uninspired dishes, and the chef refuses to alter any gluten-containing dishes. When my doctor required me to eat gluten for 30 days for a celiac test in 2014, I was excited to rush back to Fresh Mint and relive what I had always called my favorite pad thai. Well, it was a huge disappointment. The man who was the face of the restaurant wasn't there the day I went. My imperial rolls tasted like they had gotten freezer burn, and even deep frying didn't remove that taste. The pad thai was the worst I'd ever had, gluten free or not. It literally tasted like ketchup had replaced their once-delicious pad thai sauce - it was overly tomato-y and vinegar-y with no other spices. The dish used to be loaded with colorful vegetables, peanuts bean sprouts, garnished with a fresh sprig of basil or mint and a lime wedge. But on this occasion, there were a few small vegetables, some peanuts, and a lemon wedge. The presentation was a mess - a heap of orange noodles - a big change from their once beautiful, colorful presentations. The only that that I actually enjoyed was the coconut tapioca pudding (their other desserts are vegetarian but not vegan). The prices are still mid-range, but the food is now low quality. It's very sad to say, but I won't be returning. Something major has changed with this restaurant and it's not for the better.

Pros: Variety, Unique, Fun atmosphere

Cons: Declining in quality/value, A little pricey, Dessert menu isn't 100% vegan

Great food, Amazing staff - Edit

This was a great find! We had the Kung Pao Chicken, Mint Fresh Roll, and Lemon Grass Beef, all of which were delicious. The portions were large, and the service was wonderful. We also had the mint lemonade- best lemonade ever!!

amazing food!!! extremely vegan friendly - Edit

love, love, love this place! i can't believe i haven't written a review yet. the first time we came, was right after our friend married us on top of south mountain on 1/12/11. we've been coming at least once a month since then. the food is fresh and made when ordered, so don't expect to pop in here for fast food. this is a family run business and we are usually waited on by the daughter or the dad while mom is cooking in back. the service can be a little odd at times, but we're servers so we're probably overly critcal;-) some of our faves are the spicy ginger soy beef, the spicy lemongrass soup (only spicy if you put the side sauces on it), hot pot, vegetable fried rice, and kung pao chicken. when we first started coming, they would let you bring in your own wine and uncork it for you. since then, i believe their license for that has lapsed. my only wish is that they would get it back:-)

Pros: awesome food

Cons: no alcohol, closed on sundays

loved! almost completely vegan - Edit

Everything I had was delicious. Only 4 items on the menu were NOT vegan. Cute cafe. Super friendly staff. Fresh Mint Tomatoes were a unique dish and completely wonderful.

Pros: almost all vegan, fresh mint tomatoes, delicious food

Cons: none

Delicious! - Edit

Nice little place. Delicious food. Good service!

Cons: The take home boxes are made of styrofoam.

A little slice of vegan Heaven - Edit

We ordered take-out from here for the first time yesterday and it was FABULOUS! Fresh, crispy veggies in flavorful entrees. The eggplant dishes are the best I have ever tasted. Husband & kiddos all devoured the food and are craving more!

Oh and we ordered take-out because we had just got off the plane and were tired and crabby....but I still couldn't find a reason to give the food less than 5 stars!

Now we just need one of these in Boulder please...

Pros: fresh, all vegan, flavorful, colorful

Cons: We live in the wrong State to eat here regularly!

Pad Thai Is Amazing - Edit

I have always loved Fresh Mint's PadThai. I just got back from a 2 week trip to Thailand... expecting to have the most amazing Pad Thai I had ever had while on the trip. Guess what. ...nothing compared to the sauce they make at Fresh Mint. It is my gold standard now. Also love the spring rolls with peanut sauce... great presentation. Their blended coffee is also a super treat!

Pros: Delicious, Consistent, Clean

Love This Place! - Edit

Fresh Mint is a wonderful place to eat. We try to eat there once a week when we are snow birds. We've tried many of the dishes which are so delicious and are presented in an artistic and simply beautiful way. They have a quick, inexpensive lunch menu in addition to the regular menu. The owners are very nice and the service is excellent. The only improvements would be if it was much bigger and they had locations nationwide. But then, it probably wouldn't be as good.

Pros: Outstanding food, Fresh, Many choices

Refreshing Surprise - Edit

We loved this sweet little restaurant. Great food, great atmosphere. Lots of vegan dishes to choose from. Owner was very attentive and presentation was outstanding.

In Love - Edit

Absolutely in love with this place. Very friendly staff and awesome choices. Food is seasoned to perfection.

Pros: large portions, tasty food, wide variety

Delicious, Healthful Food - Edit

My omnivore husband and I loved this place! It had many healthful and delicious options. We loved a tofu curry dish and the Fresh Island Green Salad was huge (enough for 2) and made with this amazingly-flavored, oil-free dressing! It was great to fill up on delicious vegan food without feeling guilty/heavy afterwards. Sure, we love vegan cheese-steaks, but it was really nice to instead eat a light, yet filling meal at Fresh Mint. We would definitely return to this place next time we are in Arizona (or Hawaii, where they apparently originated).

Return to Scottsdale Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fresh Mint closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.