Fresh Mart - Avenida Ashford

787-999-7800

1310 Avenida Ashford, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00907

Serves meat, vegan options available. The grocery store on the lower level is like a mini Whole Foods. Upstairs is a casual deli serving breakfast as well as takeaway deli style foods with vegan choices. Deli closes earlier than the store and sometimes is out of food after 5pm. Open Mon-Wed 7:00am-11:00pm, Thu-Sat 7:00am-12:00am, Sun 7:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out, Puerto Rican, Non-veg

First Review by blonderoo69

Good Store for Condado, Puerto Rico - Good Selection with Scandalous Manager - Edit

Freshmart, Condado, Puerto Rico : Scandalous Management Attitude.

4:00pm Deli. No Cashier, as she was cleaning the Floor. She saw me and went inside kitchen saying few more minutes!. 10 minutes later no cashier, so I left
4:35pm: went to Deli again: Same cashier – finally ! I placed order for 2 green detox’s

4:45pm still the juice makes hasn’t reached the counter. Two people went looking for her.
4:50pm : she starts washing machine – which is dirt form carrot juice left standing in it since an hr ago?
4:55pm she tells me Green Detox will be without Kale – as Deli has finished it’s Kale. I say pls get it from the store. They do that for me. I have been coming for the last year and half. They always solve their own problem of” NO kale in Deli” – by getting it from the store. They get manager of Deli and Manager of Store . Deli manger a woman says “ I will NOT get from store downstairs”.- it’s NOT my problem! I paid for a Green Detox with kale (5.99) the regular juice is 4.99. Now the Store manager – Sergio arrives -.

He says “ we don’t need to accommodate you”!! all he had to do was get spare kale from the lower floor to the Deli!

I’m bewildered and leave – at 5:05 pm. 1 Hour !! to get no Juice!! No refund !

This experience has made me rethink my need to visit and waste 1 hr to get a juice! It's a good store with Poor repeat experience.

It’s a scandalous management attitude. Employees don’t share the ethical and corporate responsibility. I hope that they get a new Manager for this Condado Freshmart.

Condado's store Manager’s poor attitude is sure to spread like plague in the store.

Pros: Good Selection, Organic, Hard to Source in PR

Cons: Poor Manager , Budget 30 minutes get the most basic thing, Poor Value for Time Needed

Absolutely great for vegans and meat eaters alike! - Edit

I stayed at the Marriott Stellaris for 5 days with my family, I am the only vegan in a family full of meat eaters so I thought this trip would be difficult, think again! Looking at the breakfast menu at the hotel I knew there would be no options for me so I looked up a health food store in the area to see if I could make it work. I came across Fresh Market which was only a 2 minute walk from the hotel, and I absolutely loved it!! I ate there every single morning for breakfast, and got a sandwich to go for lunch everyday so I could keep it in the hotel fridge and bring it to the beach. They are so knowledgeable about what is vegan and everyone there spoke great English which was a help to me since I know little Spanish. I loved their tofu scramble and their tofu sandwiches. Really anything that is vegan on the menu is worth a try. Two of the days a family member came with me to try it out and also loved it, they had eggs and ham which they said were delicious. It was such a quick, convenient, cheap, and tasty option. I also loved that there was a small health food store downstairs which was great for snacks and fresh fruits and vegetables. Overall a wonderful experience, give it a try!

Pros: Extremely vegan friendly, Delicious, Affordable

Cons: Sometimes slow

A Vegan Home Base for San Juan's resort district - Edit

Located on the upper floor of the Fresh Mart their deli counter service is perfect for breakfast and lunch. Having a great tofu scramble with toast for breakfast or brunch. One of the best parts is that the staff knows what is and is not vegan. I saw butter on my toast and asked if it was butter. They responded don't worry we only use vegan butter. Their lunch sandwiches include a vegan Ruben, which I can't wait to try. The price here is half of the price at hotels for a similar meal for two. So the value is excellent. Not to mention that there is a "Whole Foods" amount of vegan food in the grocery store. I highly recommend staying near this location if you are visiting. It makes for a good home base while exploring the city or the island.

Pros: price, staff speaks great English, quality

Cons: still has animal products, slow service

Many great vegan and vegetarian options! - Edit

Stayed at the Marriott Stellaris just up the street for a week. The grocery store on the lower level is like a mini Whole Foods. Upstairs is a wonderful casual deli. It serves breakfast, as well as takeaway type deli style foods. There are several kinds of pizza that you can get by the slice (like, sweet potato and onion not just your usual slice of pizza) - options with regular cheeses or vegan cheeses. You can also order larger sizes. Then, there is the cold salads section with a variety of options - from a wonderful potato salad, coleslaw, black bean salad, macaroni salad and the like. There is also a hot bar with a variety of vegetarian or vegan foods. The rice and beans are always outstanding, and very cheap - under $4 for a main. We ate there everyday for a week. Also, bought picnic food and brought it to the rainforest for lunch as vegetarian/vegan options there are lacking. The vegan combo plate for $8 gives you three choices of and entree and two sides of whatever you want. The staff was outstanding - very accommodating, informed and nice. Ask questions as they were always very happy to explain every ingredient in any dish, and offer you a taste if you wanted as well. Overall, strongly encourage anyone seeking fresh, yummy food to check it out.

Pros: Many vegan/vegetarian choices, Inexpensive, Casual

Return to San Juan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fresh Mart - Avenida Ashford closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.