Fresh Kitchen

02-5611182

4 David Remez (at Derekh Hevron), Jerusalem, Israel

Serves fish, vegan options available. Multiple locations western-style cafe. Menu denotes the vegetarian and vegan dishes as well calorie count; purports to offer health-conscious, fresh food. Variety of hot dishes and salads plus made-to-order shakes, organic coffee, juices. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-11:00pm, Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Kosher, Non-veg

First Review by dkinjer

Doesn't live up to the Menu - Edit

Theoretically, "Fresh" has all the ingredients which should make for a perfect blend of a Kosher Vegetarian restaurant. The menu is a mix of classic Kosher Dairy offerings and healthy vegan options. Fresh is also a concept restaurant, the ambiance makes you feel fresh, the menus gives you the protein/calories/etc of all the different offerings and even tells you what parts of the body each shake nourishes. It has a great vibe and feels healthy to eat there (with the exception of dirty glasses which I've gotten too many times here).

The problem is most of the menu doesn't taste or come out as good as it sounds. An example is the Schwarma which is bland, with an under-average texture. If they wanted to improve it, why not offer it in a laffa? Why not give real Israeli salads with it like the ones you would get in a meat Schwarma place? Instead in an uninspired fashion, they throw some vege "Schwarma flavored" faux meat on a plate with a few pickles and a small salad.

The Shakshuka is bland and underwhelming. The Bangkok heat was misnamed (should have been "Bangkok Bland"), as it had almost no spice or flavor whatsoever. I asked the waitress for some lemon which got a little of the curry flavor out of it. Some of the Salads are pretty good. None of my friends who ordered fish there have been particularly overwhelmed either.

The best thing I've had at fresh is the Asian tofu salad which is really good fusion, has a subtle but great flavor and is a filling portion of tofu, noodles, and goodness.

Overall, I like "Fresh", because its a nice place in the old train station complex, with good service, which has a menu with SOMETHING for EVERYONE. The ingredients they use are fresh quality ingredients. Their menu is imaginative. Unfortunately their execution of their dishes is not up to snuff and the lack of flavor can be disappointing, but its still one of the better places for a veg meal in Jerusalem.

Pros: Great diversified menu, Lots of Vegan Options, Clean, nice atmoshphere

Cons: A little overpriced, Underflavored

Food was OK, could be a lot cleaner - Edit

We ate here about a week ago. I had a vegan dish (the warm green salad) while my spouse had the salmon skewers. (There is no meat here.) The menu is somewhat innovative, trying to have healthy food and indicating nutritional information about each menu item. Vegan and vegetarian items are each clearly indicated. My spouse said the salmon skewers (it's called an Asian Salmon Salad) were OK, but not something amazing. My salad was good, also not amazing. Though they claim they use fresh food, the string beans were most likely frozen (the small whole string beans). But I did enjoy it, and almost all restaurants in Jerusalem that have vegetarian food are dairy restaurants that have fish and very few vegan choices, because the veggie choices are cheese and egg laden, both of which I avoid for health reasons. My big gripe with this restaurant was the cleanliness. The waiter, pleasant enough, was wearing a filthy T-shirt inside out (so I could imagine what the outside looked like) and I even asked him, being so nauseated by it, "don't you have a cleaner shirt", to which he replied "not really". I suggested he get one. The rest room area was also rather gross looking, and considering that this place is not even open all that long (a year or so?), reflects poor maintenance and cleanliness. I don't know that I'd want to see what the kitchen looks like. So, I might go back, but would not rave about this place, and hope that they make note of this review and clean up! It's really not hard to get clean polo shirts for your staff.

Pros: Some good menu items, vegan options, clearly labeled menu

Cons: not clean enough, food was just a bit better than mediocre,

Return to Jerusalem Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fresh Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.