Freesoulcaffe

• Vegan
Contact 714-371-0976

191 E Main St Ste 1B (at Old Town Tustin), Tustin, California, USA, 92780

Opened Sept 2010, this vegan cafe provides coffee, tea, and food using natural ingredients. Menu includes sandwiches, panini, day's soup, organic salads, Belgium waffles (mornings only) and oatmeal. The glass case display features muffins, cakes, and various desserts. Choice of soy, almond, or hemp milk for your drinks. Has fresh juices.

Category: Vegan, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by JaimeSue

Great find! - Edit

My nice and I were traveling through the area and found the Freesoulcafe on the Happy Cow app. From the moment we stepped in we knew we had hit the jackpot. The decor is homey and welcoming. Beautiful vegan pastries were displayed behind the glass counter. I ordered the corn grits and she ordered the gnocchi. They were both absolutely delicious! We were too full for dessert, but since it was so tempting we bought it to go. I had a chocolate mousse cake later- and it was soooo good! Also- the bathrooms were sparkling clean. I wish I lived closer to this gem- I would love to try everything on the menu!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice decor, Clean bathrooms

Cons: Too far from where I live!

Great food - Edit

My wife came across this place a few months back and raved about it. I finally got the opportunity to make it down here with her and it did not disappoint.

I've mentioned my struggles with finding good vegan breakfast spots. I do well at home but sometimes you want to go out and this place hit the spot. Monica had the Waffle while I had the pancakes. Both were great! The lunch menu has some really appealing selections as well. We will definitely be returning to try those out next.

The location and decor are very appealing as well and the staff was very friendly. Definitely a must try.

Pros: great food, good portions

jewel in Tustin - Edit

My husband and I loved our dinner here. Everything was very fresh and excellently prepared. Nice that the entire menu is vegan. The Caesar salad and side of cauliflower were delicious. The truffle burger would convince anyone to go vegan! The dessert case is impressive - we indulged in a coconut almond bar which we enjoyed. The portions are not huge but just right to leave room for dessert.

Pros: fresh food, excellent preparation, delicious

Cons: portions not huge, price point slightly high, -

They Did It - Edit

What a great restaurant this place has become. They now serve tasty water in bottles to your table indoors. The food has always been great but the service has improved and now it is an outstanding contribution to our vegan society. Great breakfasts, so gourmet, and wonderful lunches with home made pasta available at night. I wish they did not make the deserts so unbelievably delicious, I would like to loose weight. This place is a true gem in Orange County. Come and be impressed.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 23, 2016

Updated from previous review on Sunday May 01, 2016

Pros: The food, The ambiance, The deserts

Cons: small portions, pricey, awkward floor plan

A little pricey but worth it! - Edit

My mom and I first went here and then I revisited with my boyfriend. Both times I got the Truffle Burger and it was amazing! I do wish it came with other side options, I'd rather have some good garlic fries than a salad. But otherwise it's great, I look forward to going back and trying one of their pizzas!

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Great location

Cons: Expensive

Everything is delicious, and they have breakfast! - Edit

I have been coming here for over a year, and I love it every time. Super friendly staff and delicious food. I haven't tried anything that I didn't like.

Needs more Menu Options with No Sugar and Oil - Edit

Please make more menu options that don't use sugar or refined oil!!!!
Whole grain foods that are sweetened with pure maple syrup or agave or honey are desperately needed at this restaurant!!!!!
No refined oil options are also needed !!!!!

Absolutely delicious - Edit

I went here a few weeks ago and I had a southwestern type burger while my fiancé had a pasta dish. Both were absolutely delicious! We will definitely be going back again. My most favorite part of the restaurant was the out of this world entirely vegan dessert case!!! The only down side about this restaurant is that it's a little expensive for our tastes- we are still students! None the less, worth the splurge!

Pros: Delicious, Fast, Clean

Cons: Cost

tasty cafe - Edit

I went with a large group of people, so we took up most of the seating inside this cozy café. It was easy accommodating a group as everyone ordered their own meal at the counter and got a number. The Portobello Panini and Truffle Burger were the most ordered items. I personally had the Truffle Burger which was amazing. The truffle flavor was strong and divine. To continue the truffle theme, I got the chocolate truffle torte for dessert. Very rich and decadent. The entire dessert display looked fabulous and I wish I could have ordered one of each one. I can't wait to come back and check out the rest of their menu. The service was friendly and quick too!

Pros: desserts, variety on menu, friendly staff

What Can't They Do? - Edit

Whether you go for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or just dessert, FreeSoulCaffé does a great job. I've never had a bad meal here from waffles to panini to salads to soups to pasta to pizza to mini cakes... It's all good. They continue to improve and expand the menu slowly. They try to perfect dishes before releasing them... Then they work on just making them better.

Pros: good variety, well-balanced flavors , great service

Cons: popular, so seating can be limited, boba can run out, nothing significant as a con!

so cute and delicious!!! - Edit

The location is fantastic, along with the overall feel of the place. Service was good, food was incredible. Over all really great experience and if I lived a little closer I'd probably blow all my money on this place. It's slightly pricey, but worth it. Me and my mom split the alfalfa sprout sandwich with the horseradish sauce (I think?) and the mocha cream pie.

Pros: everything

This is what any cafe should be like - Edit

Vegan or not, service is important to any business. Freesoulcaffe hits the mark on all aspects. Amazing customer service, unbelievable cruelty-free food, and great ambience. Turns out my parents had been going to this cafe for years, and only found out that all items were vegan AFTER I told them recently.

There was also a cat who snuck in and begged for attention, so that's always a good sign in a vegan establishment. ;)

Love this place! Highly recommend eating here.

Pros: Excellent food, Amazing staff, Calm ambience

Cons: Pastries were pricey

BLT Heaven - Edit

I've been to Free Soul Caffe more times than I can count and I thought it was time to write a review. This is a clean and unique place with a completely vegan menu (Yay!). You will never have to worry about any animal products ending up in your food. (Double Yay!).
I have tried most of the sandwiches but the best, in my opinion, is the BLT. I somehow always end up going back to it even if I try to branch out and try their other menu items. Its excellent. They also do a great job with their salads which are fresh and plentiful. The only exception to this is a kale salad I tried once which seemed really small and rather bland. The potato pizza is good, if you are a pizza fan (I'm not - so its the only one i've tried). We have also been here many times for breakfast and I always get the waffle with fresh fruit. I have tried a variety of the baked goods. My husband really likes the muffins and some of the desserts are excellent if you get them while they are fresh.
The best part, however, is the coffee. I've tried granites, mochas, lattes, all very good.
My only complaints are that is seems very over-priced and the parking is pretty limited. However, neither of those things seems to stop me from going there.
Its a great place to have breakfast or lunch. The patio has quite a bit of seating and it's got a very relaxed feel to it. I highly recommend checking out Free Soul Caffe.

Pros: All vegan, Good food, great coffee

Cons: over-priced, limited parking

Sandwiches, Soups, Cheescakes, Cookies. Heaven - Edit

My first time here and I chose a sandwich, soup, a cheesecake, and 3 different cookies to go. I went back for dinner, even though I only go to this area once a year and I have other favorites in the area.

Highly recommended! - Edit

We were frequent visitors to Freesoul when we lived in Orange County. This place is by far the nicest spot in the area. The food is 100% vegan and delicious!
Some of our favourites are: Potato pizza, Marinara Pasta, Green Tea Granita, Waffles...and the whole menu!

Friendly staff, beautiful and clean atmosphere (seriously, the staff are always cleaning the place!).

Pros: WAFFLES!, 100% vegan, the only real 'cafe' in the area

Give FreeSoulCaffe a chance - Edit

This place is awesome!!! I go about every other week and always get the BLT. I have tried other things but the BLT is my favorite. The desserts are amazing as well. Very cool atmosphere inside and out and it is in a great part of Old Tustin. If people are weary about trying Vegan food, don't be. This place is excellent. I only wish there was one closer to my work.

Pros: Excellent Foods, Vegan Food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: A little far for me, Pricey

Old Town Tustin Cafe - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and ate here in June 2012. Here's my Freesoulcaffe review.

This place reminds me of Urth Cafe (locations in the LA area) - from the menu board to the desserts case display - except that it's all vegan here. Also the menu is more concise with just a handful of items (sandwiches, colorful salads, chili).

The only mention of the word "vegan" is on the menu. From just looking at the desserts case you would not even know that the attractive assortment of mini-cakes and bars and baked goods are all vegan.

The inside of the cafe is very cozy, comfortable, modern chic. Out front is a lovely courtyard with seating around a small water fountain. The other patrons seemed to come for the relax, to sit outside with their coffee and a book or computer.

We had a fresh carrot & apple juice, a bowl of chilli (beans, spices), an espresso min-cake, and a blackberry mini-cake. The chilli was tasty. The cakes were good, though a bit too sweet for my personal liking. I enjoyed the espresso flavor in the cake. I also had their individual cup drip coffee (no regular brew offered after 11am, but you could get espresso drinks). Moderate prices.

and dessert too!!! - Edit

I'm a first timer & will definitely be back...had the vegan blt & butternut squash soup...both excellent. They have a dessert case that could make a former sweets junkie weep...all vegan!!!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 25, 2012

Pros: great atmosphere, great food, Dessert!!

Exceptional Gourmet Vegan Food - Edit

My husband and I were absolutely amazed to find a place like this little haven in old town Tustin. This place has everything we like about our favorite cafes in Los Angeles and much more! Beautiful ambiance, luscious deserts, homemade soups and coffee that rivals the neighboring "Kean!" We knew once people start discovering it for themselves is was going to be hugely famous in Orange County. We drive half an hour to get there and it's worth it every time. You will not be disappointed!

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 01, 2011

Pros: Delicious Gourmet Food & Coffee, Beautiful Ambiance, Friendly, Conscientious Staff

Cute Cafe - Edit

I wanted to try a lot of the baked goods in the display case, but I ordered a waffle and a hot chocolate. The cafe was clean and in a nice area. There is patio seating.

Pros: all vegan, baked goods, good location

Incredible Desserts and Coffee! - Edit

Their array of desserts is really something! The only thing I specifically remember trying is the peanut butter torte which was very rich and delicious, as was every other dessert I've tried. They have quite a variety to choose from. Also their coffee drinks are soothing, and again rich and delicious. However, I tried one of their sandwiches called the Atlantic I believe, and it was AWFUL! It was just inedible to me, and was expensive to boot. The side salad it came with wasn't great either. However, I went the first month they opened and they may have improved their sandwiches since then, so I would certainly be open to giving it another try. Randomly saw veggie celebrity Milo Ventimiglia there (didn't go up to him, just saw him at a nearby table). This is a lovely, clean, cafe with a cute outdoor patio. That whole neighborhood has a sweet quaint feel to it. I would really like to try their breakfast waffles sometime as they sound delish. This is a great place for an afternoon date, or evening dessert date, or even just to hang out with friends. I hope this place becomes as ubiquitous as other coffee houses, because regardless of them being vegan (which I love), their quality surpasses them all! (Be aware that they are closed on Sundays.)

Pros: Amazingly rich and decadent desserts, Large variety of desserts and drinks, Adorable, Quaint, Lovely Ambience

Cons: Closed Sundays, Atlantic Sandwich

Soup, sandwich & bakery. - Edit

This is one of my absolute favorite restaurants to frequent. I don't dvd order or make soup 'cause it's usually bland and generally unsatisfying. I was soaking up the portable soup with my Atlantic "tuna" panini. The coconut cake is a must have as well. Nice, light, and delicately sweet. Remarkable food.

Pros: delicious, high quality ingredients, relaxing

Cons: i want more locations, or a cookbook!

A blessing to have this caffe in my home town! - Edit

I have been visiting this caffe since they were opened a few months ago. I love their coffee and baked goods. I stopped by 2 or 3 times a week to get my coffee drink. I don't go to Starbucks anymore since I can't buy their breakfast goodies (not vegan). This caffe has all the vegan goodies all you want from muffins, scones, cupcakes, tortes, cakes, cheesecakes, and cookies. The baked goods were baked daily and fresh. The coffee drinks are large in size and very good. I have tried several sandwiches such as panini and smoked ham sandwich. They are good and big. I think to eat their dessert I have to eat only half portion of their lunch. My favorites are pumpkin cake, pumpkin and apple muffin, pumpkin scone, and peanut butter torte. Their peach roibos tea is also so good.

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Nice patio

Cons: a bit pricey, street parking

Delicious Vegan Breakfast and Lunch, too! - Edit

I can't tell you how happy I am to have a vegan breakfast place in Orange County. Tons to choose from, all fantastic. The soups and sandwiches are also very fresh and delicious and inspired creations. Fair Trade tea and coffee - I'm so in love!

Pros: tons of vegan choices, hearty, tasty meals, beautiful outdoor location

Cons: closed on Sunday, breakfast only till 11

Return to Tustin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Freesoulcaffe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8352 times since Sep 2010.