Franchia Vegan Cafe

• Friend
212-213-1001

12 Park Ave (at Midtown, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10016

Sister-restaurant to the venerable Hangawi (also a vegan restaurant in Manhattan), Franchia offers a casual take on refined Asian fusion cuisine. Decor is traditional Korean architecture contrasts with elements of modernism. On the menu are dishes like vegetable sushi, Korean dumplings, and a selection of noodles, rice dishes, and main entrees. Teas and gifts available for purchase. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 1:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Asian, Korean

First Review by Poundie

favorite in NYC - Edit

Friendly staff, nice setting, every single thing on the menu is delicious - always!!!!

Superb Asian Vege Resto - Edit

We went there in the evening after I did a Google search at the time I did not know about Happy Cow.
What a pleasant surprise, I was celebrating my birthday so I had the vegetarian caviar. It was so real and so good.
I like the ambiance, the decoration, the nice restrooms; the little touches... The staff is very kind and efficient. I wished they could sell some of the cutlery.
The price is right.
I will surely go visit again when I go back to the opera, which is not too far by walk and cab.
What I like is the fact that they put the menu outside because how many times I had to leave a table and the restaurant because I do not like the food on the menu or the feeling of the place.
I am a bit shy and do not like to do that. But, it is my money and my body after all.
Anyway, there is a huge selection to choice from and will please most of all.

Pros: Selection, Caviar, Details

Incredible vegan flavors - Edit

I've been to Franchia twice and I just the variety and flavor of the Asian fusion noodles.

Our favourite in Manhattan - Edit

We have been testing several restaurants during our vacation in Manhattan. Have been at Franchia two times.
Awesome food, friendly service.
Will definitely go there again next time we are in Manhattan.

Pros: Fantastic food, Friendly service

Great asian fusion - Edit

I love that place. They have amazing vegan dishes. Fantastic asian food. I love their soups, they are full of flavour. I like spring rolls too. I always come back.

Pros: Flavour, Selection, Asian fusion

Cons: Pricey

The Takeout was excellent. - Edit

An excellent Vegan restaurant with an exciting menu and a wide variety of tasty options. I visited the restaurant to pick up a take out order and the place was busy - make a reservation. I liked the vibe which was hip and eclectic. I had the Vegan Buffalo Wings which were a 10, very tasty and a great texture. I had the Avacado Asparagus Salad which was a tasty raw option and had the Vegetarian Bibimbap which was authentic and fulfilling. If you find yourself in Midtown, give Franchia a go - you'll love it.

Pros: All vegan, Great menu

Cons: Small place

sad cow - Edit

Walked a mile to get here. Saw a few tables open. Asked for table for 4. They asked for reservations, which I didn't have. He said he could seat us in 2 hours.
Stood there for a few minutes contemplating takeout, and then a table for 3 walked in without reservations and was seated immediately. He said they only have tables for 3 available. Hmm..I would have taken 2 of those tables.
So...not a happy cow right now as I munch a side salad from a local pizza joint.

Crispy Korean Chilli Tofu for the win - Edit

I really enjoyed my meal at Franchia. I had kimchi pancakes for starter, which were nice, but they ended up being overshadowed by the crispy Korean chilli tofu main. The main was excellent, the sauce was spicy and the tofu itself seemed very fresh and had a texture reminiscent of 'paneer' (from pre-vegan days). Because of the sauce the tofu pieces were no longer crispy, but the dish was so tasty it didn't matter. The best spicy tofu dish I've eaten in a long time - possibly ever! Nice décor and staff were helpful.

Will return... - Edit

Everything I ordered was great: steamed buns, kimchi pancakes, salad, citrus tea, teriyaki kebabs...except the sushi. Not much flavor going on in any of the three rolls we tried. Honestly, everything else was so good that I would go back and try the rest of the menu sans sushi.

Pros: flavor, variety, service

Cons: so-so sushi

Really yummy and charming - Edit

We have been twice now to this place. We always go around mid-day.
It is close to where we are traveling when in NYC and we know we like this type of food- casual but a little fancy (my mom's dish had an orchid flower as a garnish) and mostly Korean, but "pan-asian" cuisine. The staff have been very nice and attenttive to us both times. We have gone on a day it was very low traffic and one where it was moderate. We never felt rushed.

This resturant is wheelchair accessible and has a seating area which are two of our requirements for traveling. The door however is narrow so we have to fold my chair to get in (I have a wider chair 30.5 inches wide including wheels). I am able to walk short distances so I was able to walk to the bathroom and can't recall how easy it would have been to fit a chair inside. The nice pottery and decorative art pieces make me a little nervous with my chair being so large.

The resturant is beautiful, look at the ceiling tiles!
It's not too loud and has a pleasant atmosphere, it is darker as you go up (there's I think three levels and the place is narrow like a lot of NY places).

The ground floor being by the large window is quite bright with some mild lights and the servers have a bar/station right by you so they're easy to call over on the ground floor if you need them.

The food was decent proportions, they make their rice excellent, their veggies are excellent and fresh, even fruit they use is really fresh and vibrant. Some dishes are just a little pricey compared to other vegan places nearby, but they also don't all provide seating.

Taste wise I really have enjoyed the dishes I have ordered. The steamed veggy dumplings were a little unusual, they fall apart and can't be eaten with chopsticks (easily).

The pad thai was really outside my normal pad thai experiences and I didn't like it - it is kind of "fishy" so if you like that kinda of fishy umami taste you might enjoy it. If you are more of a fan of other kinds of pad thai try something else.

I tried the Hainan Seitan rice/veggie bowl and the Mock Duck rice/veggie bowl (bibimbap style). Both were really good, Hainan has quite spicy sauce, but it is served on the side. They serve a bowl of kimchi for the table too (small "kick").

Value wise your bet best may be their combo special for 2(+) people. 2 salads, 2 appetizers, and 1 main dish to split.

Their tea selection is really nice and they also offer sweets but I haven't tried any yet. I plan to go back (lots)!

Pros: Great options for most tastes, Tofu, seitan, rice, and veggies cooked perfect, A nice place to dine and relax in the city (day)

Cons: Prices seem just a little high for some things, Sauces could sometimes be better described on menu

food was cooked well - Edit

I have been here twice and I ordered the same main dish both times. I don't remember if there was a specific name but it was a tofu and vegetable dish in brown sauce. I wasn't a fan of the sauce either time. Something about it just seemed off. It wasn't awful; I finished the dish both times. It just wasn't as great as some other vegan korean restaurants I've been to. The food itself was cooked well. I've had some pretty poorly cooked tofu in my day but this was great. I also had the crispy tofu skin sushi roll and it was great. The atmosphere is nice, definitely a good place for a dinner date. I made reservations both times but it never seemed to be too crowded.

Pros: food was cooked well, nice vibe

Cons: sauce, dark

A little gem with fantastic food! - Edit

On a recent trip to NYC, I had a chance to eat at quite a few vegan restaurants. This was, by far, the best meal I had in the city. A very creative menu and a wonderfully decorative setting. A lot of the places I ate at in NYC were really pricey. I don't know if that's an NYC thing or a vegan thing. But, this place seemed very reasonable by comparison. Certainly not an inexpensive restaurant... but at least the food and atmosphere are great.

Pretty swish place, good food - Edit

Traditional restaurant experience, good food. Metal chopsticks are annoying.

Pros: Lots of options

Cons: Metal chopsticks, Desserts

Nice fresh food - Edit

Food tasted good. Little expensive beer (only Korean beer).

great Korean vegan! - Edit

Wonderful food and service. Somewhat casual restaurant with many options of traditional Korean fare served in vegan style. The tofu dishes are my favorites - along with the steamed dumplings. Reservations are not required, but can be helpful.

Pros: delicious food, attentive service

Cons: long wait, if no reservation

amazing place - Edit

Food was awesome and the attention was great! I really love Korean food and I had the vegan jajjangmyeon ver with kale, it was delicious! Also the Tealatte with non-dairy milk was fantastic! Definitely one of my fav places :)

Lots of Asian Options - Edit

Food was delicious! There were sooo many different options and different types of Asian cuisine which was awesome. Their servers could be more attentive though. Modern vibes and creative dishes.

yummy and delicious - Edit

Vegetarian Bibimbap or Stone Bowl Rice
Noodles
Bodhi Noodles
(sweet potato & gluten free buckwheat noodles topped with mountain greens and vegetables )
I had the Bibimbap which was full of delicious veg on brown rice
And my husband had the Bodhi noodles. Also very yummy.
We shared a veg sushi before which was very fresh .

Pros: very yummy and huge portions.

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Franchia Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.