Founding Farmers

Contact 202-822-8783

1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20006

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several locations in the area serving American fare. A small "meatless" section on the menu shows the veg/vegan options, reportedly cooked using dedicated equipment. Has cold pressed juices. Open Mon 11:00am-10:00pm, Tue-Thu 11:00am-11:00pm, Fri 11:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 9:00am-2:00pm, Sat 2:00pm-12:00am, Sun 2:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by Sophia B.

wonderful! - Edit

I thought this place was great! There was a long line but without a reservation we waited an hour but worth the wait. I too had the many vegetable loaf with mashed potatoes broccolini and mushroom gravy and thought it was wonderful! I don't live in DC but the next time I'm in the area I will make sure I have a reservation.

BLOWN AWAY! - Edit

Picked this place with a quick search, only to find out the people we were meeting had gone there for lunch. They loved it so back we all went for dinner...long lines should not deter you from taking your seat in the very cool dining area, Devon was our server and she was very upbeat and had answers to all our questions. Although they serve both veg and meat offerings the non-meat area of the menu held a good selection of options. Tried the Butternut Squash Ravioli and Many Veg "meatloaf". one word FANTASTIC! We have been trying to recreate it at home ever since, worth the drive, worth the wait and with the price!

Pros: Friendly Staff , Excellent Menu Options, Fairly Priced / Good portions

Cons: Wait time, A Bit Noisy

Some people (like me) hate it, some people love it - Edit

I went here once when I first moved to the area, and I was very confused that this is popular. It's the worst of all worlds: food not so great, a little too pricey for my cheap eats sensibilities, self-important, and very crowded: you'll likely have to wait unless you got a reservation. And it's not exactly a gold star in the vegan options department. Many restaurants in the area do just as well or better.

The one good thing about it is the location near a lot of touristy things like the White House. But seriously tourist, you can do better.

Washington Post gave it zero stars, and I'm saving this review for the next time a friend wants to go there.

Look, I will freely admit it: I am a hater. I just don't get why anyone goes here, let alone why it's always packed. Other people LOVE LOVE LOVE it as the comments on facebook attest: https://www.facebook.com/foundingfarmers/posts/10154274541031602

But if I can prevent one like-minded tourist from wasting one of their meals in DC on this place, then writing this review is worth it. DC has great vegan food, go enjoy it elsewhere.

Pros: location

Cons: crowded, food isn't good

Few options - Edit

I was just there and there were only 2 vegan entree options. I chose the "Many vegetable meatloaf." It was VERY good, but the portion size was extremely lacking. On the pricey side. Not very friendly wait staff. Definitely need a reservation on a weekend for dinner.

Pros: Excellent Taste

Cons: FEW options, Not super friendly, Need reservation

Hit or Miss - Edit

This is a go-to restaurant for when family are visiting me in DC. It has a fun environment and interesting menu. The menu changes so sometimes I've been happy with my food and sometimes not. I remember during one of my first visits, I had the vegan fish and chips bucket, which was a ridiculously fun and indulgent meal. During a recent visit I ordered the "cauliflower steaks" and felt completely ripped off after paying something like $15 for little more than a few pieces of grilled cauliflower. During that visit, everyone at my table felt bad for me because it was clear there weren't enough calories on my plate. The most recent time I ate at Founding Farmers, I was much more careful with my ordering and asked the server for a recommendation. He said vegetarians seem to like the meatless mushroom swiss reuben, so I ordered that and did actually get enough calories! It wasn't a very complex meal in terms of flavor, but it did satisfy (I seem to remember it wasn't vegan).

Overall, Founding Farmers can be a good place for a mixed meat-eating/vegetarian group, and can be especially good when family and friends are visiting. The food can be hit or miss though, so be careful when ordering!

Pros: Atmosphere, DC Location

Farily good vegan food - Edit

Note- My review is for the Potomac, MD/Rockville, MD location. The DC location has a near identical menu & is also quite crowded most nights.

Make sure you ask for the vegan menu- it is a little separate card that explicitly lists items that are vegan all the time and ones that can be made vegan by request. If it's not on that card, don't order it. That said, the card had a decent selection. I tried the many veggie mushroom loaf, vegan mashed potatoes and grilled broccolini. Filling and tasty - good vegan comfort food. The only thing lacking is vegan desserts. You'll want to make a reservation- this place is regularly packed, even on weekdays - and try to avoid the big dinner hour rush times. Service can indeed be slow during that time. I'd give a 4 for the food, 3.5 for service due to being packed solid w/people.

Pros: Good vegan comfort food, Separate vegan menu card

Cons: Can be crowded & noisy

Terrible service and misleading menu - Edit

I really wanted to like this place. I like farm-to-table, the food sounded creative and interesting, and the place looked cool. But our single experience there was very bad.

Most frustrating was that, after asking about whether several items were vegetarian, we ordered the fried green tomatoes. After we started eating them, the waitress came over and mentioned they were not vegetarian. Very frustrating.

This was but one of many instances of terrible service. So bad that, without asking, the manager came and apologized. But after the apology the service got worse. We were being pretty happy-go-lucky about the whole thing, but in the end it was extremely frustrating.

The food was hit or miss. Some of the dishes were truly delicious and creative, while others were good but not great. Overall, the quality of the food was about what I would expect given the prices, if not slightly underwhelming.

Pros: Good food, Good bar, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Service, Labeling on menu

Founding Farmers in DC on Penn - Edit

Really Popular place and you def should make reservation. They have a meatless menu but this is NOT a vegan restaurant. The sides are limited for Vegan options but you should ask if there are options

Good food, good atmosphere - Edit

I found this restaurant when visiting DC and dining with non-vegans. It was a great success. It is very popular so be sure to make reservations. We did and were seated right away so it wasn't a problem.

Non-shared Equipment: I appreciated that there was a separate meatless menu and that the meatless kitchen equipment was not shared with other dishes.

Options: Yes, there were only 2 vegan options. My husband and I shared the two different dishes and were very satisfied. We are from out of town and eating vegan out usually means a boring pasta-veggies-olive oil so actually having a decent recipe was a treat. There were other vegetarian dishes on the menu--I don't know if they could be adjusted to be vegan but it looked like it could. We didn't ask since we were pleased with the two options. The only vegan dessert was a sorbet. I think they are on the right track and would love to see them expand to include more vegan options in the future.

Drinks: Great quality cocktails and wines.

Pros: Vegan/Veg menu, Separate cooking equipment, Great atmosphere

Cons: Limited vegan options, Make a reservation!

Too much hype - Edit

If you come here, expect to wait or make sure you had reservations. On a Friday night, 2 hours can be your wait time! Why? The food is cooked fresh and made from scratch, and, well, the libations menu is abounding with choices for everyone from young to old!

As for the infamous veg menu, I do not see why vegans find it amazing. Two choices does not make for a vegan menu. There were 2 vegan sides. The salads weren't vegan- how could there not be one vegan salad? A salad is all about the vegetables, so having just one be vegan makes sense, but that is asking too much?

Thankfully, there were so many wonderful drinks from cocktails to beers to in-house sodas to coffees, it didn't impinge upon my satisfaction too much. A drink for dessert is fine when they are this good! The sodas are awesome. No vegan desserts though- if they really wanted to be vegan friendly, that could easily be arranged, yes?

Anyhow, the two entree were a meatloaf that I did not care for and a burger that had a black bean base. Nothing fancy or exciting. If not with others, I would not choose to come here again for food. Drinks? Ok!

Pros: Drinks, Vegan items marked

Cons: Long wait , Small vegan selection

Great for vegans! - Edit

They have a vegan menu and we had two items from it: Polenta with Roasted Red Peppers and Eggplant; and Farmers Artichoke and Chick Pea Gunny Sack. Both were outstanding. Even the sides were delicious: Lemon Arugula Salad; Lemon Garlic Spinach. I will go back and try the other vegan dishes next time I'm in DC.

Nice atmosphere, a very busy place! Make your reservations well in advance, it was booked until 9:30 every night even on a Monday!

Pros: Vegan food, Atmosphere, Service

Cons: Fills up early

Best vegan bacon burger ever - Edit

The vegan bacon burger (burger made in-house with tempeh bacon) was amazing - truly the best vegan burger of any variety I've ever had. I also loved the fact that the veg items are cooked in equipment reserved for the purpose. Must go back to try the other items on the menu.

Pros: excellent food, separate cooking utensils, good choices

Cons: no vegan dessert

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Founding Farmers closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4621 times since Jun 2012.