Founding Farmers

301-340-8783

12505 Park Potomac Ave, Potomac, Maryland, USA, 20854

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several locations in the area serving American fare. A small "meatless" section on the menu shows the veggie options. Has cold pressed juice. Open Mon-Thu 7:00am-10:00pm, Fri 7:00am-12:00am, Sat 9:00am-12:00am, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by MsMoore

Down-Home Country Cooking - Edit

Founding Farmers (Montgomery County location) has nicely captured the farm-to-table experience. The flock of sculptural ducks that decorates the overhead space will make you feel as though you’ve been magically transported from the metro D.C. area to the peaceful Maryland countryside for an authentic, down-home meal.

As soon as we were seated, our waiter described the restaurant’s farm-to-table concept and told us that all of the food on the menu is house made. Upon learning that we are vegan, he directed our attention to the Meatless section of the menu and also offered that some of the other selections could be made meat free upon request.

I opted for the Vegetable Mushroom Loaf, which is tasty and well presented. This dish definitely provides the “comfort food” feeling that we’d expect on a visit to the country. It's served with a side of broccolini, which adds a nice splash of color and a bit of toothsome crunchiness.

This restaurant is a particularly good place to visit if you are dining with friends who expect meat, as the menu has enough variety to make both of you happy.

Pros: Meatless section on the menu, Chef's willingness to modify dishes upon request., Farm-to-table emphasis

Limited Options, But Good Ones - Edit

While Founding Farmers doesn't have a lot of vegan options, I've had both the rice and bean tofu burger and the "Many Vegetable Loaf" (a meatless meatloaf-esque which they can make vegan if you ask them to) and they're very good. It's not my go-to for vegan food, but it's a safe bet for good (if not a little bit too expensive) food. It's also a popular choice among non-vegans which makes it a reliable, good option for a group outing.

Pros: Great food, Vegan options

Cons: Limited number of options, Can be expensive

Good food, but few options - Edit

The rice & bean burger with tofu was decent. No vegan menu any more though, so ask your server. He said the only vegan options were rice & bean burger and veggie loaf. Wish they had more options that were clearly marked.

Pros: A few vegan options

Cons: Not marked 'vegan' and no vegan menu any m, Food was mediocre

Meatless Menu - Edit

Last night's dinner from Founding Fathers was sooooo good. I had the mushroom meuniere & risotto with a side of citrus asparagus and fried green tomatoes with an avocado dipping sauce as an appetizer. The mushrooms look like and had the texture of scallops. I actually stopped eating and had to question it at one point because I am vegan. I love that they have a meatless section on the menu. I like that if something was not vegan they were willing to make it vegan for me. Our waiter, Joseph, was very informative and knowledgeable about everything. He was great when explaining dishes and suggesting drinks. His suggestion of the Queens Park Swizzle as a drink was greatly appreciated. It was delicious. I've never had anything like it. My first time was quite an experience. I will be back.

Pros: Meatless section on menu, Will make vegan if dish is not completely vegan., Friendly waiters that go above and beyond the stan

Cons: Pricey but worth it

Return to Potomac Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Founding Farmers closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.