First Review by KimMamaLove

Foodworks works for me - Edit

An excellent health foods store, which offers a vast array of vegan products unavailable elsewhere, especially in the raw foods category. For instance, it carries Living Tree Community Foods nut butters, whose raw almond butter and raw tahini are the very best in the world (really!). The selection of OG produce is limited, but its fresh juice bar, which includes wheatgrass juice, and its freshly prepared in-house takeout items compensate.

Among the food stores in eastern CT, Willimanitic Food Coop ranks number 1, Fiddleheads Food Coop number 2, and Foodworks' two stores in Old Saybrook and in Guilford tie for number 3. (The scantily-stocked Foodworks in Chesire does not compare, and seems to me to be on the verge of closure.) For oldsters who qualify, Foodworks offers a little-publicized very generous senior citizen discount, a whopping 15%. Compare that with Willi’s 5%, and Fiddleheads zero.

Note that the stores both in Old Saybrook and Guilford are easy on-off from an exit of I-95.

Pros: an array of vegan products unavailable elsewhere, juice bar and freshly prepared takeout items, easy on/off from I-95

AMAZING Juice Bar - Edit

I've been to so many juice bars, and this one is my favorite. The store itself is great and I always find what I need there, but it's the juice bar that keeps me coming back. Ah-maze-ing shakes and smoothies. You just wouldn't believe the kind of creations they have. The pumpkin monkey smoothie (pumpkin, banana, peanut butter, agave) is to die for. I come here every time I am in the area, and the frequent customer card for the juice bar is a great deal. I am always stoked when I've earned a free drink!

Pros: Friendly staff, Tons of options, Vegan options all marked

Cons: Expensive

Nice that it's there, but not my favorite place - Edit

The first handful of times I went here, I kept trying to like the store but kept being put off by it. If you need help finding something, they can be very helpful. But otherwise, the staff is smug and very unfriendly. I do go back maybe every couple of months to check out the new vegan and gluten-free items. If I find something I really like, I'll ask my food co-op to order it for me after that. Foodworks II moved to a larger location, is very spacious & airy now, and increased their prices a lot on some items. Parking is easier. I haven't tried out their new juice bar. They carry organic seeds & started plants in the Spring.

Pros: parking is easier, wide selection, staff can be helpful, but ...

Cons: staff is very unfriendly, weird vibe

Return to Old Saybrook Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Foodworks II closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.