Food For Thought Cafe

• ( 31 reviews )

5800 Overseas Hwy Ste 23, Marathon, Florida, USA, 33050

Veggie food cafe, bookstore, and shop located in Gulfside Village Plaza. Around half the entrees are vegan. Open Mon-Sat 8:30am-5:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Breakfast

First Review by saku

StephanieMcGlathery

Points +42

03 Sep 2021

Great cafe!

I had the miso mushroom soup and taco salad and it was wonderful! They came over and asked my 2 year old if she liked strawberry and bananas and then brought her a smoothie while we were eating. We will be back for sure while we are here for the week.

Kittixie

Points +31

21 Jul 2021

Friendly and knowledgeable staff!

This lovely little Cafe in The Keys is right off Overseas in Marathon. There are plenty of options ranging from delicious burgers to delightful wraps. I've yet to have one bad thing here. They have an amazing gluten-free pizza crust that's baked to perfection. The wheatgrass shots are affordable and made fresh pressed. The staff is very polite and more than happy to assist you.

Pros: Gluten free options , Vegan, Market place

Dr.Alda

Points +69

01 May 2021

Best Vegan Cafe!

This is my favorite vegan cafe. The food is so fresh and delicious. The staff is super friendly and helpful. I love their daily specials. This is the only place I can find and purchase different vegan cheeses and sauces. Definitely check this place out!

Pros: Lots of vegan options ask for vegan cheese, Friendly staff, Vegan store

Cons: Open until 5 pm , Pricey but worth it, They can get quite busy, call your order ahead

Ewlnyc

Points +64

01 Mar 2021

Worth a pit stop!

Good food and friendly people. I had the burrito wrap and my husband had the falafel and we shared. We liked both, but one was better, and I can’t remember which one!!!! Arghhhhhhh. Well, a good reason to go back, no?

Pros: Outside seating , Delicious food, Nice staff

hekatelaloba

Points +113

22 Dec 2020

Fantastic!

Got the Portobello Crunch Wrap and it was delicious! I split it with my partner because it was very large and came with a really nice salad. 100% would recommend.

plantbasedgal

Points +357

24 Nov 2019

A Florida Keys Treasure

We stop here on the way to Key West and back. And since we stay in KW for 4 weeks, we will even make a trip or 2. Great, healthy food, made fresh. Good vibes and super friendly service.

Pros: Healthy, not vegan junk food

HealthyinMarathon

13 May 2017

Thanks for the nice review!

BrianHigdon

Points +554

Mostly Veg
12 Nov 2019

Decent food

There's not many vegan options on the keys, but this place was alright. There was some confusion about whether one of the breakfast options was vegan or not. Didn't get much food for how much it costs and didn't have full table service, you order and pay at the counter. Ambience was alright.

Cons: Expensive for small portions.

bnice802

Points +24

04 Jul 2019

Great catch in the Keys

A real oasis in an ocean of seafood shacks.

rxvixen

Points +116

19 Jun 2019

Wholesome vegan options

We tried the portobello mushroom wrap, the burrito wrap and the taco salad. We got them all to go. I needed to add store taco sauce to the taco salad for additional favor for the green. The burrito wrap was excellent but I didn’t receive dressing for the salad that came with it. The portobello wrap was good and it also came with a side salad.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , The 3 meals costed $46, Atmosphere is very homey

jbarrier

Points +26

26 Apr 2019

A vegan desert

I have to admit that I was pretty shocked to learn that there are so few vegan options in the Florida Keys. So glad we found Food For Thought in Marathon. The food is fantastic and the service is great. Located in a health food store in a strip mall it is easy to miss but in this vegan desert that would be a huge mistake. Highly recommend!

thesouthernherbivore

Points +46

18 Apr 2019

Great falafel burger, tons of vegan options

This cafe is tucked away in a strip mall in a little organic market, but the service and food were excellent. I had the falafel burger with side salad, and enjoyed it quite a bit. They have a large number of vegan options and all their food is at least vegetarian. Great spot for breakfast or lunch.

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Great service

Cons: Small eating area

MillerG

Points +79

02 Apr 2019

Great vegan options!

Bought a taco Tuesday meatless vegan taco with cashew sour cream, kombucha and trail mix. Love them!!

Pros: Serves vegan lunch options , Organic vegan/veg snacks

iseeadarkness

Points +61

Vegetarian
01 Mar 2019

Great food in a vegan desert

Lovely place that I would be happy to eat at even if it wasn’t the only option for miles. I wish my hometown had a place like this. The burrito was excellent.

Annebumble

Points +493

13 Feb 2019

Yummy lunch

Had a lovely toasted sandwich with vegan bacon & a blueberry muffin. Vegan Bagels were good too, the menu offers falafel burger, Portobello burger, burrito wrap, vegan meatball wrap, daily soup of the day, salads, Açaí bowls & smoothies

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Vegan muffins

eliza6156

Points +64

20 Nov 2018

Hospitable and fun!

A tip to help you find the location, The sign outside says “organic cafe”, but on the window it says food for thought.
They have outstanding customer service!
The staff is super helpful and personable
You can tell everyone is really proud of their cafe/store.
If you are stuck deciding or have any questions they would definitely help you out.

They have a good selection of stuff; especially for their small store. It’s fun to just look around, there’s lots of interesting things and the shop’s interior is really pretty.
It’s pricey and they don’t have everything; but the store is good for if you’re looking for something the local publix doesn’t have, or want a change of pace from a big grocery store.
They do have some stuff on sale which is nice, you could probably score some nice deals on items that otherwise would be kind of expensive. Just depends what you are looking for and what is currently on sale.
their prices are expensive, but it’s not because they are trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, it’s becsuse their stuff is really good quality.
They have all the staples a vegan would need to thrive.

The food was good and reasonably priced! I got the “meatball” wrap and it was delicious.
The vegetable soup is really amazing!
I can tell they put care into creating the food and making sure it tastes good with seasonings and stuff for their food

At the counter, you can get food for there or to go. Service is pretty fast also, Especially if the cafe is not crowded

Vegan cheese is the default for things with cheese, so it is no extra charge. They have regular cheese, and is no extra charge, but you need to request regular/dairy cheese if you would like it.

Even if you aren’t vegan/vegetarian, I would still recommend this place to add to your Florida Keys must visit list because of their homey atmosphere, delicious healthy food, and super nice employees.

Pros: Super nice and patient staff , Food tastes great! , Unique and fun place to visit

Cons: Not much seating area , Not much space between tables and counter

MarisaD

Points +32

02 Oct 2018

Very good!!

This place was delicious. So many vegan options! We had the vegan grilled cheese and the burrito - would highly recommend both!

SowmyaSwaminathan

Points +30

19 Apr 2018

excellent food, the best in keys

Loved every single thing we ate.. we went there twice while going to key west and back. Lovely food, great friendly people. A must go for vegans 🙂

organicnancy

Points +63

25 Mar 2018

Awesome healthy vegan options

We were excited to see such a great shop and cafe so close to where we stayed in Marathon. We had a vegan buffalo chicken wrap and a huge salad and a great smoothie. Also did a bit of shopping at the market. Great option for the area that is limited for vegans. Really nice people too!

Pros: Yummy healthy vegan options, Great smoothies, convenient market and cafe together

Cons: somewhat limited produce

SusanLister

Points +107

13 Oct 2017

little gem with fantastic flavours

What a surprise this place was. In a small car park with an exterior that doesn't promise much .. . . . . But don't be fooled. We had some lovely wraps, chilli burrito and tomato meatballs. The meatballs were walnut based and tasted lovely. The chilli burrito was also full of flavour. All kinds of juices and milkshakes as well. All the food on the main menu was vegan.
After eating we also did some shopping as they stick lots of goodies.

Pros: all vegan, tasty flavours, fresh juices and milkshakes

Cons: in a carpark

HealthyinMarathon

04 Jan 2018

Thank you, we're happy you enjoyed your visit! Sorry for our appearance, hurricane Irma did a number on the outside of the shop.

VeganOnTheMove

Points +49

25 Dec 2016

Vegan Food Haven

Good vegan food at a reasonable price in Marathon Florida! Food for Thought is a combination café and health food store - just what I needed for a five day stay in Marathon. Predominantly vegan with some vegetarian options. Had both breakfast and lunch there and also bought a lunch entrée for take out dinner (they close late afternoon). There are a few indoor tables to eat there; no outdoor tables. Their location is convenient - right on U.S. 1 (Overseas Highway) in a strip mall.

Pros: Combo cafe and health food store, good vegan options, very welcome option for vegan food in Marathon

XOXO

Points +1570

18 Jul 2016

You can make it in key west

Yes, eat here and you will be ok. Sadly, not to many choices in key west.

MagdaDepa

Points +354

14 Feb 2016

Excellent food

I stopped by this place on the way to Key West. Food was excellent and stuff very friendly.
They try to stick to healthier less junky food.Store has pretty good selection as well. Food was so good I stopped on the way back as well.
I tried their pumpkin soup portabello sandwich and meatball sub. I loved the fact that meatballs weren't just a mock meat that I don't care for. It was done very well and had very good flavor.

EverydayTastiness

Points +2394

17 Jan 2016

worth the wait

lots of people during lunch rush, so they were working hard to keep up. friendly and full of vegan options. had burrito, lunch special (tempeh curry), and smoothie special (goji, strawberry, chocolate, banana)

burrito was really good. the tempeh curry reminded me of potato salad due to the celery.

Pros: friendly

Cons: kinda pricey

SarahKirby

Points +103

14 May 2015

Great Stop Off!

We stopped off at Food For Thought on our Florida Keys road trip down to Key West. The cafe is basically set in a food / health store which is ok & a different experience. The food was tasty & there were some good options on the menu and juices / smoothies. Very helpful & friendly staff! Worth checking out if in area.

Pros: Tasty Vegan food!, Health food store on site. , Wifi

Semiconductor

Points +457

Mostly Veg
18 Apr 2015

Yes, Sir!

We have been there last November two times, for breakfast and for lunch. High-quality food, I would say with a "whole-grain tendency".
I would suggest that raw food diet fans would give 5 starts.

Pros: Quality

KevinMeyer

Points +169

26 Dec 2013

Excellent discovery

We were driving from Key Largo to Bahia Honda and passed through Marathon at lunchtime. Fortunately we saw their sign truck parked by the highway and we pulled in. My wife and I are both vegan and we're not expecting to find anything in Marathon. We we happily surprised by this place. There is a small cafe in the back that features green smoothies and a nice menu with swaps and salads. My wife had the burrito and I had the meatball wrap, both were excellent. My smoothie was also outstanding, as was the raw fudge brownie at the end of the meal. I was so impressed by the walnut meatballs that I asked for the recipe. We picked up some healthy snacks in the adjacent store on our way out.

Pros: Vegan menu, Raw menu, Smoothies

Cons: No big storefront sign

SonjaCPA

Points +5270

16 Mar 2013

great little cafe

We stopped to eat here on the way to Big Pine Key. The cafe is vegan and mainly raw. We shared a coffee shake, the meatball wrap, taco salad and apple crisp. Really fresh and delicious. There are only four 2-person tables, but we had no problem. Friendly staff too. The store stocks dry groceries, beauty products, vitamins and some refridgerated and frozen items. There is also a small bookstore area. The store is not all vegan as we saw dairy, eggs, honey and a couple of frozen chickens. If all vegan, we would have given 5 cows.

Pros: vegan cafe, friendly staff

Cons: store not all vegan

Return to Marathon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Food For Thought Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.