CLOSED: Food For Thought

Contact 020-78360239

31 Neal Street, Covent Garden, London, England, WC2H 9PR

Features a changing veggie menu of baked goods, soups, bread, and more. Crowded at lunchtimes. PER ITS FB LAST DAY IN JUN 2015. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-8:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Take-out, British

First Review by sparkly_ruth

Long time vegetarian restaurant - Edit

The days when vegetarian isn't as hip, cool and people were not so aware of the tremendous health benefits of vegetarian food, these guys have been here making heart warming and reliable vegetarian food. It was a go to place for me, a vegetarian for more than 20 years, to relax and not have to explain what I don't eat. Their quiche, stew, and salads we such a stable. The place is small, and perhaps there are lots more vegetarian friendly places out there. But I gave me a home feeling, always going there at lunch time for a good meal.

They might have fewer choices each day, but their menu change pretty much daily. So I don't see that as a problem.

For those who don't like its basement, or small premises (don't forget, if it isn't so good, and vegetarian in higher demands, it won't be so packed!), I suggest you get take away (the counter is upstairs) for a speedy service. Go sit in nearly lincoln's Inn field, or around seven dials round about.

I would always go either very early or after the lunch rush hour has past. It will always be a place I have fond memories of.

Pros: Tasty Vegetarian dishes, Soup, Dessert

Cons: Limited seating areas, Could have more vegan choices, Close early

Not that great - Edit

I used to like this place. It's still the same it's always been, but I don't really go here any more because it's so dairy heavy - scant vegan options - and the food is uninspired muck for the most part - that is undercooked and lacking in taste. They need to update their chefs. Very "naughties" bland bulky vegetarian if you catch my meaning.

Pros: location, established

Cons: bland, bulky muck, heavy on dairy - very few vegan options ever

Lovely Spot - Edit

The reviews were correct when they say that this place is cozy. The line gets fairly long, too. I had the spinach and lentil masala - delicious! No need for salt and pepper because it was full of flavor! I got the lowdown from a local who's table I crashed...this place has been open, in the exact same location, since like the 70's. However, due to the changes in the neighborhood it has gotten too pricey for the establishment to stay. Unfortunately, they are supposed to be closing their doors permanently in June. Please don't miss your opportunity to eat some really good food and show your support for a place that has been opening minds for decades.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, easily located and not far from Covenant Garden me

Cons: very cozy, closing soon

Pretty good - Edit

Small and cosy place (a little bit too cosy) offering healthy and tasty food. I had mushroom&spinach quiche with salads for £8,50 and the portion was huge.

The menu is not huge but versatile so it's enough.
The stuff was very friendly and helpful.

The only thing I didn't like was the interior, it's a bit small and can be overcrowded. Definitely more for a quick lunch than a long sitting meal.
Old fashioned toliet needs imporvements too.

Pros: amazing stuff, tasty & healthy food, big portions

Cons: small, crowded, ugly interior, old fashioned toilet

Adorable Little Veggie Lunch Spot - Edit

Food for thought was a quiet and tiny basement cafe with a limited menu of warm and hearty vegetarian food. Be sure to make it there early as they tend to run out of options during lunch-time. I had a tasty tomato soup and a filling bowl of stir fried veggies with brown rice. Not as many vegan options as preferable but still a great place.

Pros: intimate and and quiet armosphere, delicious seasonal foods

Cons: limited menu, not a lot of vegan options

Lovely little place and very cheap meals! - Edit

Being perfectly located in Covent Garden, this is a lovely little place to have lunch. I was there slightly after peak time, so it wasn't as crowded as I had expected it to be after reading the reviews here on HappyCow.
Service was super friendly and my meal, a veggie stew, quite tasty albeit of the very homemade, simple style. And you can't beat the price - £5,50 for lunch in this location, and water for free!

Pros: Very cheap meals, Friendly service, Fantastic location

Cons: Meal could be more exciting, Very small

Organic, indian-based yummy food - Edit

During my one week stay in London I've been there three times together with my mom because the food was just sooooo damn good!!! :) It's a very small eatery and does not look so nice but the staff is very friendly and they cook really good organic, nutritious, satiable indian-based food to fair prices! I would recommend this to all people who like indian kitchen with lots of vegetables, legumes etc. It was so delicious!

Pros: Very friendly staff, cheap prices, extremely good food

Cons: small eatery, little space

I died and went to foodie heaven! - Edit

I went to Food for Thought on a holiday in London, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the food!!!! One of the best dining experiences I have ever had!!! Although it is cramped, and a little hard to get a seat, this totally went out of my mind when I was eating my meal! Quick service too! I esoically loved the crumble dessert! I am DEFINATLY going again, and I am planning to get their cook book!

Pros: Great food, Fast service, Good vibe

Cons: Cramped and busy

it's ok but not amazing - Edit

This place is OK if you're in the area and there is nothing else but I wouldn't go there deliberately. It's very crowded, few vegan options, and if you are with your children it's hard bc so little space, if you have a push chair with you better go somewhere else bc you need to go down a narrow staircase to get to the counter where you order the food.

Cons: few vegan options, too crowded

Nice 70s' touch - Edit

I went there last Sunday at lunchtime and it was full of people, but we managed to find a table after a few minutes. Got the hot dish + salad at 8.20 pounds, it was nice and spicy (with a lot of coriander as well).

The place is nice, even though for the main part it's a basement with no windows (there are only a couple of tables at the ground floor close to the kitchen). However, it's full of wood and colourful!

It was nice to find out that the place has been open for decades!
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 25, 2013

Pros: 70s' atmosphere, Fair prices

Cons: Crowded!

old school veggie haunt - Edit

Food for thought has been here for decades. It's a great little spot - it is tiny though and seating is cramped, it's often quite a squeeze. Food is often currys, pasta bakes etc, filling, tasty but quite 1970s era veggie cooking. I had a spinach and chick pea curry last time I was there. They do a range of meal deals - main with salad, main with pudding etc, which offer good value. Do watch out, if you ask for just the main on its own, you often get just that (ie veggie curry, but no rice for instance). Pudding is generally fruit crumble, which is vegan, but they never do any vegan cream or custard. Why FFF? last time my curry was a bit on the tepid side and my crumble volcanically hot, so some vegan ice cream would have been nice.. but nice little spot if you're in town, you're small and you aren't carrying bags.

Pros: friendly, very central location , fairly reasonable considering where is

Cons: it's tiny , vegan crumble, but no vegan cream!

My favorite restaurant in the entire world! - Edit

This is true, I have been happily eating at Happy Cow restaurants in about 32 countries now and I have yet to find a restaurant as delicious as Food for Thought. They change their menu every day, has a very local feel, everything tastes fresh and organic and the dessert is incredible. It's very busy and their hours are a bit hard to manage, but a must eat for any vegetarian in London!

Pros: Food, Local, Fresh

Cons: Busy, Cash only, Weird hours

Good nutritious food - Edit

Absolutely love this place, have been going here for years and years.

The menu changes daily, with a special at night, and there is always a vegan option. They also have cakes, soups, salads, teas etc

You can choose to eat in the restaurant, or to get take away.

Can pretty much guarantee a good meal when I come here.

Pros: Great food, Friendly atmosphere, Good size portions

Cons: Small space, not many tables

Really cosy place with lovely food - Edit

I really love Food for Thought and go there everytime I am in London. The atmosphere is very nice, both the staff and the other guests were always really really nice. Nobody there minds sharing tables as the restaurant is rather tiny and it is usually very busy. Due to this, it is really easy to talk to others and get to know new people.
The food is absolutely great, they serve quiches, soups, salads, bread, cakes and a choice of hot dishes. Most of these change on a daily basis, which means you will always find something new and delicious everytime you go there. All of it contains a lot of vegetables and is really filling and very tasty.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, water for free

Delicious and filling! - Edit

This place is great after a day around Covent Garden or the West End served with a large plate full of fresh veggie dinner in a cosy basement. Very delicious!

very nice place - Edit

we ordered some buisness place I don't exactly rememeber the name of, but it included 3 salads and main hot dish. it was very good and the price was fair.

Pros: fast self service, good food, fair prices

Good food, wonderful service - Edit

We (a family of 5)ate at this lovely little restaurant on a late Sunday afternoon (they are open until 5:30 p.m. on Sunday but you should get there about an hour beforehand). The portions were generous, the prices reasonable. We enjoyed the vegetarian stew and both the quiche and the cheese scone were a big hit with the kids. The waiters or rather servers at the counter were very pleasant and patient in explaning what each dish contained (for our fussy kids). Since we came late there was no problem finding a place to sit. The restaurant is very conveniently located - a few minutes walk from the Covent Garden tube station. Definitely a good place to come back to.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, large portions

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Food For Thought closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.