First Review by cwalsh

Good and cosy cafe - Edit

Stopped in here for a lunch, and tried one of the veggie paninis. I would have hoped for more veggie/vegan options, since that's what this cafe is seemingly about (vegan menu promoted outside). The food was really good and the staff was very friendly, but the food was definitely more expensive than I thought it should be. The portions are not huge, but enough for someone who's not a big eater. Might be back, I'm still curious about the vegan shepherd's pie.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive

Is what it is...comfy cafe with some vegan options - Edit

I stopped in for lunch. I liked the cafe and its atmosphere. The people working there were really friendly and helpful too. Although there are limited vegan options these are clearly marked. I had the shepherd's pie and some salads, which was nice enough. For a cafe in Galway trying to appeal to a diverse range of punters I think it does well enough. Would be nice to see some vegan cakes in there.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 07, 2014

Pros: Vegan shepherd's pie, Friendly cosy atmosphere

Cons: Needs vegan cakes

Very Friendly. ..safe And Healthy - Edit

Small family owned vegetarian bistro with very friendly staff. Best instore menu with very clean marking for all menu items. Its a typical small Galway business who works hard to provide tasty and safe food. Good choice with vegan options including salads...vegan soup and vegan shepherds pie.

Pros: Staff, Menu, Location

Cons: Size

charming - Edit

charming little bistro, delicious food and nice people. I had the vegan Sheperd's pie (It came with a nice side salad) and I thought it was super tasty. They also have a variety of vegetarian dishes and you can get any coffee specialty with soy milk :D
The prices are okay (for Ireland ^^) We paid about 7,50 Euro per dish.

Pros: vegan food, many vegetarian dishes

Cons: range of vegan food is limited

not a fan - Edit

have eaten here a few times as galway offers surprisingly few decent options for vegetarian dining. however, after giving it a fair go i won't be going back, the food is alright, nothing special, nothing out of the box and the portions are a bit measly for the price.

Pros: vegetarian options, vegan options

Cons: pricey, boring, a bit bland

Too expensive - Edit

Food for thought is a quiet place in the center of Galway. It serves a lot of vegetarian food, but prices are very high and portions are really small...

It is probably the best veg-friendly place in Galway, though.

Pros: Location, Vegetarian options

Cons: High prices, Serves meat

Uninspiring - Edit

I was told by Tourist Info it was veggie and indeed on the sign it does say "vegetarian and wholefood restaurant", which is more than a stretch of the imagination. The only vegan options are baked potato or shepherds pie, so of course like everyone else who has reviewed, I went for the shepherds pie. It came with a garnish or three choices of salads for €1.50 extra. There were only three vegan salads, so I chose those. The salads were very uninspired: sliced peppers with no garnish; cold yellow rice with small bits of pepper and a mixture of tinned chickpeas and tinned sweetcorn. All portions were small; the shepherds pie was microwaved and bland. Staff were friendly, but the guy didn't know if the potatoes were vegan or not - he said "I would eat them, but I'm not vegan."

Pros: clearly labelled vegan options, friendly staff, um...

Cons: few vegan options, small portions, bland food

Cozy Place - Edit

Food For Thought was a quiet, homey sandwich bar where people come in for a bit of food and tea to get out of the rain. It seemed like the perfect place to do some reading or homework.

I got the vegan shepherd's pie with side salad. The pie tasted a bit like a breaded ratatouille to me. I really loved the soup and it was so great for my cold. This place changes their menu daily in order to try out new things for customers. I really loved Food For Thought!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/09/vegan-ireland.html

Options - Edit

We just got back from a long holiday in Ireland and visited as many of the veg restaurants as we could find. To be clear about this place, they had just ONE vegan option, the shepherd's pie, and it was really expensive. We ended up going elsewhere.

Tasty, comforting but average - Edit

I had the vegan shepherd's pie. It was tasty and filling but nothing too amazing. I also thought that it was slightly overpriced for what I got.
I like that they are aware and interested in veganism and hopefully they will expand their menu. They're taking a step in the right direction.

Pros: Labelled its vegan option, Central location and nice atmosphere, Promotes Irish language

Cons: Vegan option overpriced, Vegan options limited

Loved it - Edit

I'm vegetarian and the restaurant had a good number of options. There was also a large number of salads.The meal that we had was very good value and the atmoshpere was great. There seemed to be a large number of locals in the place which is always a good sign

Pros: healthy food, good value

Return to Galway Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Food for Thought closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3416 times since Aug 2007.