CLOSED: Food for Ascension Cafe

Contact 520-882-4736

330 E 7th St, Tucson, Arizona, USA, 85705

A vegetarian, seed-to-table, community-supporting restaurant operated by Global Community Communications Alliance. Uses dairy, honey and egg. AUG 1, 2015 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY ITS FB AND WEBPAGE. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic

First Review by sarahtarah

be aware - Edit

Although @ first glance it appears they are doing everything right be sure to take a closer look at the organization that you are supporting. The cafe is run by a group that follows Gabriel from narancha. A cult which is fine but they do not believe in equal rights for gays. Don't wish to give them my money
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 17, 2015
thank you for the response and it is great to hear you are doing some good. however, when my wife and I spent the weekend @one of your festivals. we were treated very well but when we asked about joining we were told that we would be welcome but not allowed to live as a couple. sorry but to me that is discrimination. Perhaps you have changed your policy. If so please let me know and I will be in full support of all of your endeavors.

Cons: anti gay

Celinas Ruth Julieoz,
By all means BE AWARE that the Food For Ascension Café is bringing delicious vegetables from farm to table with a willingness to work hard and overcome naysayers who do not believe it possible to have such luscious local foods grown in this Arizona desert climate. The Café is also an outreach to bring to light the benefits of hard work, positive attitudes, and aligning ones thoughts to the greatest good for all. They have been told the Café is a refuge, a safe, supportive place near 4th Avenue, in addition to providing such wonderful food. Those who bring you this dedicated effort follow our Creator as many, if not most, people do. There is no room for hateful discrimination in the hearts of these folks as they hire and legally support the civil and human rights of people including gays. You have been misinformed.

BEST overall in Tucson - Edit

FFA is a movement, it is vegan and vegetarian friendly, using ONLY locally sourced ingredients, most from an organic ecovillage that is self-sustainable, all beverages, teas, and offerings are from garden groups, co-ops, Tucson businesses. FFA also offers classes, seminars, movie nights, collaborations within the slow-food movement...this place is 100% committed to the advancement of our relationship with the earth, food, and one another. Menu changes by season, what is currently available in gardens. Kombucha, raw desserts, coffees, salads, traditional comfort foods, it is all here. portions are huge, staff is extremely knowledgable, attentive, and feel like family, and atmosphere is absolutely tranquil, and updated. I would personally recommend FFA as a first option to those seeking not only a healthy, Eco-friendly meal, but those interested in being a part of a larger community that is dedicated to sustainability, mother nature, and self-transformation.

Pros: Local, organic, slow-food movement, Incredible service and relationships, True commitment to well-being of Eartth

Cons: Not even one!

Illusion - Edit

Definitely not "plant based" nor aware of what vegan is.

Lactose in the menu in beverages and desserts
Eggs are on the menu,
Honey is on the menu,
In their Galaxy are eggs and honey grown from a tree

Plant based vegan menu selections are not isolated or labeled... One must ask and take a chance that staff has any concern of what vegan is.

They are just stretching language to attract customers using modal phrases like "100% vegetarian" and "plant-based"

Cons: not plant-based, Mystery Menu no labeling

Amadon DellErba Hi DanimalPanda,

I would like to correct some incorrect statements in your review: We have no claims that we are a "vegan restaurant," but rather that we have "vegan options," which is actually about %75 of the menu.

We have clearly stared on our website: “We do good food: not good vegetarian food, not good vegan food, not good raw food. Good food is good food and that is what we do. We accommodate people with most dietary preferences, needs, and restrictions by focusing on plants.” This can be viewed here:

There has never been animal diary based cheese in our café. We have the usual vegan “cheese” substitutes.

Our goal is to have a restaurant the serves healthy food to a large variety of people and we have no claims that we are not strictly vegan.

I think the confusion may lay in the assumption that we are a fully vegan restaurant when that is not our claim at all. We have a few dishes with eggs, and honey options for our coffee bar and tea drinks.

I hope this helps clear any confusion up.

Excellent lunch spot in cool neighborhood - Edit

All-organic, mainly local food, much of which is grown on their own farm south of town. My root and seed burger was delicious and satisfying, with a freshly made, seeded bun, roasted garlic aioli and a fresh spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette. My spouse's calzone had a crisp, potato-bread crust and was filled with fresh vegetables cooked the right amount -- still crisp. Excellent coffee, too. Friendly, attentive service. Attractive interior with high ceiling, lots of wood, and art on the walls. Subdued, relaxing atmosphere. In the heart of the lively and fun Fourth Avenue neighborhood.

Pros: Good food, well-prepared, Friendly, attentive service, Attractive place, peaceful atmosphere

Who knows when they serve food... Rude! - Edit

I've tried contacting the restaurant at least three times regarding how rude they were to my husband and I, but they refuse to respond. So, here is your warning: No one seems to know when they are actually open and serving food. Just because they are "open" doesn't mean you can order anything. We drove 45 minutes to get there expecting to try a new restaurant, only to be told quite rudely to leave. Ugh! We'd even double checked their hours before going there!

Plus, barely anything is vegan anyway and I'm not convinced they know what vegan means (not something I'm willing to risk). I definitely will never go back, especially since they have been extremely rude and still refuse to post accurate serving hours. I have been telling all my friends to never go there. With all the vegan options available in Tucson, why bother with a place who can't even post accurate hours?

Pros: Location, Relatively pretty interior, ?

Cons: Rude servers, Refuses to post accurate hours, Doesn't appear to know what vegan means

Only Deserves One Cow :-( - Edit

As others have mentioned, cheese, honey, and eggs are prevalent, menu items aren't labeled as vegan, and servers aren't always familiar with what's vegan. Owned by controversial spiritual community that raises farm animals and veggies for their community and cafe. Not the sort of organization I like to support.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Creepy Ownership, Food Not Labeled, Servers Not Knowledgeable About Vegan

Amadon DellErba Hi Amarello,

I hope this helps clear any confusion up.

A wonderful new vegan option right off of 4th Ave. - Edit

This food is fresh! I was able to get a delicious vegan meal without concern. Chef has a wonderful attitude about food. She has relationships with farmers and gets the food directly from them. There's much to boast about. I'm excited about this place and wishing them the best!

Pros: freshness, atmosphere, food will change with seasons

Lovely space but double check what is in food - Edit

The renovations on the space are lovely, the food is all right. But - they claim dishes are gluten-free on the menu and then serve them with gluten-y bread. They told me dishes were vegan and then when I inquired about specific ingredients - which caused the server to have to check with the chef - the server determined that the dishes weren't vegan. A bit too much trouble to have to second guess the menu and server - a restaurant that touts it's plant based approach should do much better.

Pros: Atmosphere , Location

Cons: Need to use caution when ordering

Return to Tucson Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Food for Ascension Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3182 times since Nov 2013.