First Review by thestickwoman

fantastic - Edit

It was a gradual transition, but I now do ALL of my grocery shopping at Food Fantasies (ok, 99% of it). The employees are helpful, knowledgeable and all around great people. Prices are great and it's locally owned. Love everything about it. Also the vegan bakery goods by the checkout - you can't go wrong.

Great selection of specialty vegan products - Edit

They have most vegan specialty products you could want on a regular basis... a couple varieties of vegan mayo, almond yogurt, tofu, seitan, nooch, dried beans, etc. Anything they don't have they can typically find for you or they're just out of temporarily. They even carry Dandies on a regular basis and make a refrigerated pizza dough that's vegan.

They have vegan baked goods in-house but every time I've had them they've been dry. The store is a little cramped but it's definitely worth squeezing through the aisles for their selection.

Pros: Great selection of vegan food products, Staff is helping with finding products., Even have vegan body-care products.

Cons: Small space, Sometimes bulk bins/floor is dusty/dirty

knowledgable staff - Edit

This is a small grocer just chock full of organic and vegan items. They sell stuff that the big box stores have like tofurkey, daiya, and field roast. They also sell lots of locally made baked good and produce. The staff is friendly and knowledgable. They can be a little pricey at times.
Updated from previous review on Monday December 02, 2013

Pros: staff, wide selection

Great store - Edit

I also love this health foods store. While it might be expensive, you get what you pay for. Some of the health foods they have I have seen at the other local grocery stores (like county market or even wal-mart) and noticed that food fantasies actually has the lower price. They carry a lot of specialty products that cannot be found anywhere else in Springfield. They also carry local produce/baked goods/and other products, which is great for the local econmy. The store is kind of like a little bit of heaven in Springfield if you are a vegan. Oh, and yes... smells awesome.

Honest First Impression - Edit

Hello! I am new to the Springfield area. I am Macrobiotic/Vegan and so there are a lot of specialty products that are not available in grocery stores or in Asian markets. I am from the Peoria area, and Naturally Yours is the store I would go on occasion to pick up these products. The pricing is far over-priced just as it was at Naturally Yours, but that is typical with this type of market. I believe if prices were lowered there would be more quantity sold, but perhaps it can't be bought at a low price wholesale.
Anyways, I called before going into food fantasies, and also checked out there website-turns out University of Illinois at Springfield students get 10 % off. Which is great! When I checked out the store, one of the workers was so nice to give my daughter a free apple because she was hungry.
I agree with the location-it's mostly horrible! It should be moved to a nice roomier location. The products in the store seem very fresh, and well stocked. I also like that there are free samples of products and literature in the back of the store. Also very good deals and they do accept SNAP benefits, which I am a participant of this program.

Overall I am very pleased with this store, and am happy that there are other Veg-heads out there so that I don't have to drive all the way to Peoria for things. (please carry more Macrobiotic things though! :) )

Pros: deals, organic produce, macrobiotic goods

Cons: bad location, overpriced, needs music!

good selection - Edit

As other reviews note, this is about the only place to in Springfield that offers a wide variety of vegetarian/vegan goods. It's a small store, but they offer quite a lot for the size. They also run decent sales, so if you're willing to just browse and stock up, you can save money. They also offer a decent selection of bulk that you can't find in the area. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: bulk bins, very friendly staff, locally owned

Cons: small

It could be so much better. - Edit

Food Fantasies has been in the same small store for as long as I can remember. Yes, they're the only health food store in town and you can get lots of specialty items that aren't available in grocery stores (even now that County Market has their own health food section). Yes, the staff is very friendly. But the store is small and cramped, and the variety of certain items isn't great. I really wish they would get a bigger location.

The second thing is, the vegan baked goods that are made there are sub-par. I've tried pretty much all of them, and they're always dry and not that great. Whatever recipes are being used to make them are definitely out-of-date, as most recipes for vegan baked goods don't call for powdered egg replacer (we know better now). Vegan baked goods can be so much better than what is offered.

Along that same line, out of all of the breads that they bake, only one doesn't contain honey (or as far as I can tell from the labels i've read). I often find that the one vegan bread is sold out.

The prices don't bother me because I know they're a small store.

In conclusion, I love Food Fantasies but I think it's time for them to grow and change.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: small store, sub-par vegan baked goods

Ahhh! - Edit

I love the smell when you walk in this store! They have their bulk spices, herbs, seasonings, nuts, seeds, etc. near the door. Their prices on these are reasonable and their selection is awesome! They also have quite a good variety of natural beauty products and things to make your own. I like the store a lot. When I lived there, it was a favorite place to go.

Pros: selection

Cons: price

Great Natural [and Vegan] Food Store Option!!! - Edit

Over this past weekend a friend and I visited this store [he goes here often]. I must say that I was very impressed with what they carried; in fact, I felt that they carried a lot more than most of the natural food stores in St. Louis. Not only did they have your typical Vegan items [i.e. Vegenaise (aka: Veganaise), Tofurkey, Uncle Eddie's, Etc.], but they had local produce, Vegan pizza dough [appeared as if they made it?], Vegan baked goods [the mint brownies made me feel like I was in HEAVEN]. Overall I was impressed, I would even prefer this place over Whole Foods...that's saying a lot because I'm always there! I also felt that the prices were fair if not lower than typical natural food stores [including Whole Foods]...Vegan food is going to be expensive either way, but like I said, this place isn't that bad price-wise.

Pros: Good Prices, Great Selection

The only show in town... - Edit

The aisles are narrow and the prices are pretty high, but in Springfield, if you are after a vegetarian speciality item, this is the only place to go. I've gotten Tofurky, vegetarian vitamins, and various veggie lunch meats here that you can't find anywhere else. They have some fresh baked goods on site too. It's worth checking out, but it's not friendly to a vegetarian on a budget.

Return to Springfield Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Food Fantasies closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2190 times since Aug 2007.