FoMu Ice Cream

• Other Other
  • Vegan
Contact 617-903-3276

481 Cambridge St, Allston, Massachusetts, USA, 02136

Vegan ice cream parlor est. May 2012. Offers non-dairy, nut-based and coconut milk-based ice cream with in cups and codes with toppings plus and frappe, baked goods, and coffee. Small batch, no refined sugar.

First Review by area51alienbabe

Some of the best vegan ice cream - Edit

All of the ice creams are coconut or other nut based, and vegans and non-vegans should come to sample the exotic flavors. I had the cardamom pistachio & bourbon maple walnut coconut milk ice cream. It was so delicious! They also had some items in a pastry case, and I'll be back to sample those!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice vibe

Best Ice Cream! - Edit

Fomu lived up to all my hopes and dreams! I walked in to the shop feeling pretty confident, based on the reviews, and that feeling was justified! Their menu is of a decent size, but don't read the one off of their website and expect the same one in the store. Many of the flavors are seasonal so they change frequently. I had the strawberry and some sort of blueberry flavor. Both were excellent. I could taste a little coconut from the base in the strawberry, but it was barely noticeable. The portion sizes are very generous, and the customer service was excellent! Given that it is completely vegan, I'm comfortable in giving it five stars!

Pros: Excellent ice cream , Good value , Friendly customer service

Excellent vegan ice cream and desserts - Edit

This is on Allston's famed "vegan row," and it's a great place to stop by after dinner at Whole Heart, Grasshopper, or Yoma. I've been here dozens of times and tried a large number of their ice cream flavors (yet they always seem to have something new). My favs are the avocado, mint chip, and strawberry. They are happy to offer samples, so don't be shy.

Pros: Awesome ice creams, Flavor varieties

Best Ice Cream Ever - Edit

Who knew OMG was actually spelled FoMu? This is a truly fabulous all vegan ice cream shop with super friendly and fun service that is only outdone by the variety of flavors and toppings. Did I mention hot fudge? Or pistachio-avocado ice cream? For those who cannot decide what to choose, they offer sundaes and carry-out pints. Best of all, the location is conveniently situated in "Little Vegan Alley" of Allston. Yum!

Pros: variety of flavors, great service, all vegan

I'm in love! - Edit

I've tried quite a few commercial vegan ice creams, and FoMu's is far superior.

I had the salted caramel and strawberry flavors, which were all fabulous.

Pros: Amazing flavors and quality, Friendly staff, Near other vegan restaurants

Cons: Far from downtown Boston

Bourbon Walnut Ice Cream - Edit

5 stars for portion size for $
4 stars for customer service

Not a huge sweet fan, nor eating ice cream when it is 31oF outside, but this WAS delicious. Full of variety and flavors that work, I was able to enjoy a small FoMu ice cream and still take my leftovers home to freeze.

FoMu is the perfect place to stop after a vegan dinner at Grasshopper (just next door).

Pros: Value for $ and quality, Variety , Flavors that work!

Cons: Customer Service, Not a cosy/comfortable environment

You Can't Tell It's Vegan! - Edit

This ice cream is YUMMY! You can't even tell it's vegan (only the uppity vegans will whinge about it but what can you do, that's who they are?!!). It's a fun and welcoming little place and the staff have always been extra friendly to me.

Pros: Yummy & doesn't taste vegan, Cute atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: No milk, Music sometimes too loud

BEST VEGAN ICE CREAM - Edit

I make excuses to go to Allston just to make a trip to FoMu. They have the best ice cream I have ever had. I was able to try avocado ice cream there for the first time, it was surprisingly delicious. They have unique flavors and a lot of options, they're all amazing.

Scrumdiddlyumpous - Edit

Mostly coconut based vegan ice cream. In some of the flavors the coconut flavor is more apparent, but I really didn't find it to be a problem as the consistency is is that of "real" ice cream. They have a bunch of traditional flavors, as well as, some for the more adventuresome ( Avocado, Thai Chili Peanut, Honey Lavender, & Cardamon Pistachio) Really great find and yes they will let you try the flavors before deciding :)

Cute Vegan Sundae Bar! - Edit

So happy to stumble across this vegan ice cream sundae bar! They had a HUGE range of ice cream flavours - all the favourites (Vanilla Bean, Chocolate), plus lots of creative and yummy ones (Pistachio, Mango Chili..)

You can get all kinds of delicious toppings and sauces (vegan cream and hot fudge!). They also serve coffee and other sweet treats. It was hard not to try everything!

Overall, a really great experience - we'll definitely be back next time we're in Boston. Highly recommend going here.

Pros: Sundae bar!, large variety of ice cream flavours, delicious & vegan

decent - Edit

Good place for ice cream. I don't like the coconut based ones as they taste too much like coconut-y but they usually have a nut based one. It's a better place (for me) to stop in for a baked good or cup of hot chocolate. I wish they had soft serve year round!

Pros: great hot drinks, good vegan baked goods, great soft serve

Cons: soft serve not year round, coconut can be overpowering

Pretty good, bad location - Edit

I stopped in shortly after it opened for my birthday. They had many flavors, and let you try as many as you like. The cake batter just tasted like coconut, but I got the salted caramel which was good, although a strange consistency. My friend got the cookies and cream which was good. THey have lots of vegan topping you can try too. There were college kids working, although friendly, they weren't super professional...but I guess you would get that any any ice cream place. I would stop by again, but the place is just so inconvenient to get to!

Pros: vegan ice cream!, vegan toppings, decor

Cons: location, parking

Vegan Ice Cream - Need I say more? - Edit

This place is AMAZING. After being vegan for 4 years, I have gone 4 years without going out for ice cream, as there is no place around that has vegan options. I went to FoMu today expecting to maybe get a bowl of chocolate or vanilla ice cream... not a chance! There were too many other amazing flavors to choose from. Our server was EXTREMELY patient and let us try just about every flavor that we wanted as we were extremely overwhelmed with the incredible selection: Salted Caramel, Thai Peanut, Cardamom Pistacio, Carrot Cake, Chocolate Hazelnut and the list goes on. Each flavor was better than the one before it too! The carrot cake had GIANT chunks of cake in it, which I'd never even seen in an ice cream before, vegan or not.

This place isn't good for a vegan ice cream parlor, it's amazing for an ice cream place in general, and I can't recommend it enough!

Pros: Variety of Flavors, Knowledgeable and Patient Staff, Best Ice Cream I've ever had!

Cons: Parking is tough, but worth the walk

Return to Allston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has FoMu Ice Cream closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1357 times since May 2012.