Follow Your Heart Restaurant and Market

818-348-3240

21825 Sherman Way, Canoga Park, California, USA, 91303

Long established vegetarian natural foods market and restaurant. Serves vegan and vegetarian breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Eat at the counter, at tables inside, or out on the front patio. The market sells a wide selection of natural foods products, snacks, supplements, books, gifts, health and personal care products. Lot parking. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by eric

reliable food - nothing fancy, with an associated store - Edit

Cozy, no-frills restaurant with a counter. Everything I've had over the years is good and I love the store. I was there yesterday and had the "eggwich" sandwich, which was tasty. In the store I asked if they had Bee Fee Honee and the assistant said he'd never heard of it. They have their own wonderful products and also Gardein and Miyoko's nut cheeses.

great combo! - Edit

Although pricy, the store has items not always available in other (non-online) stores. Been going here for about fifteen years and the restaurant is great if you stick with the handful of items that are consistently good (Reuben, club, chicken sandwich, eggy sandwich, and scramble). Oh and don't forget the chocolate cake!!

Pros: lots of vegan options, in the valley, the staff, f

Cons: not all vegan, a bit pricy, long waits, coffee isn

Easy Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

Large portions, the Chick'un Pot Pie was great. Very friendly staff. I loved the carrot cake. Wish they had wine/beer ;)

Meh - Edit

Lots of vegan options but there are a few sneaky dairy options that vegans need to beware of. The soup here is thick and flavorful but I often find the main dishes lacking. Perhaps I haven't ordered the right thing yet but so far I have tried the chicken curry dish, enchiladas, burrito, tamales,chicken pot pie and lasagna. Aside from the burrito and soup, everything tasted pretty bland. However, I do tend to prefer food with a little more kick. People really do hype it up a bit too much.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 08, 2016

Updated from previous review on Friday April 08, 2016

Pros: vegan options, vegetarian friendly, Soup samples

Cons: sneaky dairy food, HUGE WAIT TIME, slow service

Big disappointment - Edit

This is a little market that has a decent size restaurant inside. There's an indoor seating location and a patio seating space. Few tables on both of them but there's also a bar section for those who prefer eating alone.
The restaurant has a decent size menu with variety of foods from mac and cheese, to Indian food. They have sandwiches, pizzas, salads, bowls, soups, etc. They also have natural juices and desserts. The market is pretty nice too, it has loads of health food stuff, vegan food galore, but that's where the problem is. As far as I knew, Follow your heart was a Vegan brand. When I became a Vegan, 11 years ago, Follow your heart was one of the few vegan cheeses, vegan mayo, vegan sour cream. I have to admit I never followed their story. When I came to this restaurant, I was asked if dairy was ok in my food? :( No is not ok!! Why would it be ok? Because this is a vegetarian / vegan restaurant! :( you have to specify you want your meal Vegan because they serve dairy and eggs! That was so awful! They also had dairy products and eggs in the store :( Oh honey too. The food was ok. Some of the portions seemed kind of small but once you start eating, you realize it is actually a lot. I did like my food and so did my friends but I am just disappointed at the fact that I was expecting a Vegan restaurant. If that doesn't disappoint you, then you should go right ahead and try this restaurant because it is actually not that bad. They also have their own parking on the side so you don't have to worry about looking for parking. Be warned that the space is limited so you might have to wait quite a bit during rush hour.

Updated from previous review on Monday February 15, 2016

Pros: tasty food, Parking, Varied

Cons: Not Vegan, Prices

Nourishing, Tasty, Like-Home-Cooked Meals - Edit

It's charming, affordable, offers variety, for vegans and vegetarians alike. We love eating here. We love the service, the quality of the food, the prices and the desserts! This is a favorite place, and we drive from Moorpark to dine here, because we can't find anything like it near us. Love it.

Pros: Quality , Service, Charm

Cons: There is only one; wish it were closer.

Heaven on Earth! - Edit

I love this restaurant and the joining food market.
So many of my favourite food items are available for purchase in the store its hard to decide what to buy.

The small but busy adjoining restaurant has a extensive menu and we couldnt decide what to eat! I ended up going for the Nutburger Supreme and my boyf went with the Zorro Burrito that came with a soup of the day (lentil and vege). Both meals were massive and so tasty! Our waitress was very friendly and assumed we wanted vegan(which was wonderful to hear). Both meals could have been made non vegan (with cow cheese), so be sure to confirm vegan, however most everything is easily vegan - and many Gluten Free options!

If this restaurant and food market was completely vegan I'd give it 5 stars but I give it 4 because its not.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 27, 2015

Pros: Wonderful selection in the food market, Extensive restaurant menu, Lots of parking

Cons: Offers dairy products

the best!! - Edit

Almost everything on the menu can be made vegan! The vegan chocolate mousse is to die for! There are so many items on the menu it is always hard to decide what to order. The store is amazing and they carry everything vegan you could ever want.

This place is WONDERFUL. - Edit

Everything you could need or want is in their market and its worry free. my favorite are dairy-free ice creams, kombucha, crystals and organic clothing. The restaurant has great food and staff. The market has a wide range of organic drinks, snacks, and even a book shelf. i spend about an hour looking at cool stuff every time i visit.

great vegan options! - Edit

I love all the variety of vegan foods they have to offer. Everything is delicious! And good prices too. The portions are pretty big too :) gluten free options available. And very friendly staff.

coming back here all the time! - Edit

This place is so great! They have really good vegan/vegetarian dishes and the store has a lot of interesting foods. I can literary spend hours here looking at all the items they have.

Great restaurant, great food - Edit

Homestyle vegan and vegetarian food.

It's delicious. Wednesday nights they have a guest chef. I recommend the vegan pot pie. Last time I was there they said they no longer served the dairy dressings.

Get the milkshakes, they are delicious.

Pros: Homestyle Food, Veganizable Milkshakes, Cute Grocery Store

Cons: Small space

Wish it was all vegan; Store is good though - Edit

I love the store here...but sadly the restaurant is not all that people make it out to be. I will say it has character. I had food here twice and both times I thought it was good! But not overwhelmingly delish. I was hoping to see many more vegan options since they make vegan cheese. But they do make many dressing with dairy milk products. Also they arent very organic...soo what can I say? It IS decent. And Vegan options. Store is cool.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 17, 2015

Pros: Store, Vegan options

Cons: not very organic, too much dairy for a company that big.

When in the LA area You have to Visit this Place! - Edit

Friendly employees, funky and fun grocery store, & a variety of vegetarian/vegan foods on their menu. I particularly like their sprout/tomato/avocado sandwich, their potato salad, and their vegan mac and cheese meal. They also make baked goods that are off the chain! I wish that I lived in LA just so I could frequent this place.

The Real Hippy Deal - Edit

This place is a cafe/restaurant located within a health grocery store. Follow Your Heart is responsible for products like Veganaise.

I have been here a few times and enjoyed myself every time. The food has always been good when I dined there and the service has been extremely friendly.

I am also a fan of the story of this restaurant/grocery store and how long they have survived. You can see the authentic story of this place the minute you sit down to eat.

Their soups are always delicious and I love, love, LOVE their sandwiches and their original burger.

The prices are comparable to most LA vegan restaurant/cafes. I usually spend $15 a meal there (but I also get their soups on the side).

There is free parking on the side and behind the building. You pay at the cashier on your way out.

For all you hipsters out there looking for a legit step back in vegan time, this is the place to go.

Pros: Authentic ambiance, Solid food, Service

My favorite Vegan Restaurant - Edit

From the vibe to the food, FYH is one of my favorite places to eat--I can even go there to eat lunch alone without feeling awkward or lonely since the staff is so friendly! The 'Chicken' Pomodoro Panini is a favorite of mine; I've also tried the portobello panini as well as the vegan meatball sub and the tempeh tacos. All of them tasted great. If you want dessert -- which I highly suggest-- try the fruit torte or vegan 'cheese' cake.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Fun atmosphere

Cold Soup - Edit

We ate there a few times, but the last time the soup was served cold and I had to return it a few times to get it reheated. As we are lucky to have better vegan choices, we have not been back.

Pros: Cold Soup

The FIRST veg store ever in LA & it has survived! - Edit

FYH goes back about 40 yrs...amazing! They pack soooo many cool choices in this small store. The restaurant has tons of vegan choices, including soups & desserts. Great people run & work at the store. They also carry cool gift items like unique wind chimes & crystals & scarfs etc. I wish I lived close to this store/restaurant, I'd shop there all the time.

Pros: all veg, lots of variety of items, great restaurant too

Cons: far from where I live!

Return to Canoga Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Follow Your Heart Restaurant and Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.