Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe

26205 S Talkeetna Spur, Talkeetna, Alaska, USA, 99676

Serves meat, vegan options available. Flying Squirrel is a small, funky cafe in the woods about 100 miles north of Anchorage close to Denali National Park. Has options for vegans and has gluten free choices, too. Menu consists of 50% vegetarian options. Wi-fi.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by veggievet

Amazing pizza! - Edit

This place has a rotating menu, so I sent an email prior to visiting to see what vegan options they might have. I received a very enthusiastic reply back with what they might have that weekend. They had home made hummus, cuban black bean soup, veggie sandwich, and wood fired pizza starting at 4.
We arrived a little too early for pizza, but their panini press was down so we decided to wait it out and I'm glad we did. Their wood fired pizza is amazing! They didn't have any vegan cheese, but I was plenty satisfied with the mediterranean I ordered. Crust was thin and crispy and the toppings were all fresh. They said that they typically have vegan pastries, however sadly this time they didn't. They did have a coconut red current vegan ice cream, but we were too stuffed to try it.
We'll definitely come back next time we're in Talkeetna.

Excellent Bakery - Edit

While in Talkeetna we stopped in and found some great Vegan baked goods. Everything was excellent. In fact, we went out of our way coming back from Denali to get more take home goodies to bring back home. Be sure to look for the Vegan labels.

Yummy baked goods! Sour dough bread amazing! - Edit

We spent the night in Talkeetna on our way from Denali to Seward. We read about this restaurant while on our cruise. This was a great find. The cafe is a bit hidden on the Talkeetna spur. The decor is Alaska new-age quirky. The menu had many vegetarian options, a few (but not many) vegan options. The food was great. Their baked goods were outstanding with some surprises (didn't expect to find ruglach in Alaska!) They had several vegan bakery options which was great but more limited vegan lunch options. We took a loaf of sour dough bread to go to make sandwiches for our hiking.

The staff was very personable and friendly.

Pros: Yummy baked goods, Many vegan baked goods, Not many veggie options in Talkeetna

Cons: Limited vegan lunch options, Many items were high-fat/caloric

Return to Talkeetna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.