Flying Apron Organic Bakery

Contact 206-442-1115

3510 Fremont Ave N, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98103

Bakery specializing in organic, vegan, wheat-free, and gluten-free baked goods. No refined sugar used. Product ingredients displayed. The only non-vegan item is dairy milk option for coffee. Also serving a vegan lunch menu that is all gluten-free: soup, salads, bean spreads, pizza, flat breads. Seating available. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by mystereys

Baked goods plus pizza and lasagna - Edit

As a long-time fan of Flying Apron's packaged treats (blueberry and coconut scones, Peanut Butter Bar) at Silver Cup Coffee, and at Whole Foods (Pecan Cinnamon Roll). ((Oh, goodness, though, what are the calorie counts on these items?)) and of Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book by Jennifer Katzinger (beautiful photos and great recipes — the Indian Curry Apron Pockets even withstood my unskilled ministrations — delicious!) — I was delighted to finally step into their Fremont shop.

The baked goods were wonderful as expected — however, the savory items were the big surprise. Their vegan lasagna served in a double-sized portion for about $7— spinach-y, oregano-y, tomato-y goodness with cashew-ricotta filling — could win the lasagna awards (is there such a thing?). The veggie-aioli pizza slice also takes best pizza (even with satisfying pizza-ness, it packs on the veggies).

You can get a wonderful Schilling Cider with the pizza slice, but it should be noted that Schilling Cider House, where you can get your choice of a sampler flight of six craft ciders (in three ounce pours) for about $13, is just down the street and around the corner. Do it if you have room. If you have the lasagna, you probably won't!

Pros: Huge lasagna, Great location, Pizza by the slice

Cons: Favorite items may be unavailable

Contributions +86

Gluten free, vegan & good vibes - Edit

This place is recommended as a coffee house with vegan, gluten free treats. Friendly staff! Ask them what their current favourites are for good leads on what's yummy. You can hang out all day with free wifi. Half priced day olds help you keep it real on a budget. Stop in before that trip to the PCC or before a walk on the water.

Pros: Good vibes, welcoming, casual, gluten free and vegan, the workers are happy so it must be good

Cons: gluten free vegan baking is still evolving

Great rolls! - Edit

We wanted to go here, but had a bit of trouble finding it. Once we did, however, we were happy to try the rolls & gaze at the selections. There weren't as many things in the case as I expected, but it's a very small place. The rolls were amazing - just like their gluten filled counterparts!

Pros: great rolls

Cons: not a huge selection

pretty good - Edit

I had a ginger cookie, which I really enjoyed. Yes, it was a bit crumbly and off on texture, but it was delicious and generously sized! And my mother had a peanut butter bar she liked so much she went back again. Nicely done for a vegan, gf, low sugar/oil place!

Pros: good portion size, variety, healthy

Cons: texture

Sorry for this review - Edit

When I went to Seattle these are one of the places I wanted to go. Have to support my Vegan businesses right? I wasn't very impressed. Got a lemonade with high frutose corn syrup in it and I wasn't impressed by the food. And the place is not visually appealing. For a place with cookbooks I was under impressed. And the baked goods were not that good.

Nice Bakery - Edit

There is a huge selection for vegans here, and the taste is spot on. The downer is the texture, because the pastries and cookies are a a little on the heavy side. These are still good treats though, and I'd recommend this place for the selection.

Funky cool desserts and pastries. - Edit

As a Seattle vegan, I would honestly love, to love this place, but I really don't. Not to say it is bad and I have only been in here a couple times but have tried a few of their desserts to know that I am not a big fan. They do offer a large sellection of pastries and desserts and drinks and they have some really good stuff, if you are in the Fremont area, for sure stop by, but if you want a dessert, Mighty O is just up the road and if you are in town and only have a little time, Mighty O is so much the better choice. If you have gluten sensitivities, well they Flying Apron for sure has the leg up, but for taste and texture and if you just want a pastry, Mighty O is the way to go.

Pros: sellection is great., vegan and gf

Cons: some foods are gritty, some foods don't taste very good.

very good - Edit

The baked goods are excellent. The gluten-free aspect is important; if you are uninitiated in the gf/vegan baking world this will be a great initiation. I only say it bc gf has a different flavor than gluten baking. That said, it is great and I think anyone would enjoy. Cool spot too (decor, service etc).
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 22, 2011

Flying Apron - Edit

I just tried the PB Joy today and disliked it entirely. I'm downgrading my rating to a 3 because the only decent item was the brownie.

Updated from previous review on Monday July 18, 2011
We saw that Flying Apron had a savory menu for breakfast/lunch so we decided to stop by. In addition to their vegan baked goods, they had soups, calzones, mac & cheese, quinoa salad, etc. We ordered the Moroccan lentil soup, the Italian calzone (per staff recommendation), a PB joy, and two brownies. The soup was not very tasty and was lacking in flavor, I would never order it again. Additionally, the calzone was actually inedible, in fact, we threw the entire thing out after one bite. The crust was sweet and didn't mesh very well with the inside of the calzone and the sauce that came with it was not good at all. The only thing that tasted good was the brownie - I have not tried the PB joy yet, but as recall their baked goods have always been good. I recommend this place for vegan desserts only, do yourself a favor and skip their non-dessert food menu. If you're still hungry afterwards, walk over to PCC Natural Foods, we went there to get better breakfast food. 5 cows for the baked goods, 1 cow for the non-dessert food.

hella good - Edit

Scones, cookies, biscuits, tea cakes.... just have this wholesomeness about them. mmmmmmmmmm!

The atmosphere here is great too, and i just love the mismatched chairs! reminds me of home.

Pros: good coffee, tastey treats, good tunes

Cons: sometimes smells STRONGLY of garlic

Decent treats, WONDERFUL staff! - Edit

I went in there for the first time after I had been ITCHING to go. A vegan bakery? Come on! So, I went in. Most of the food did not look too appetizing so I asked the girl behind the counter to help me and she completely made the experience. She walked me through everything, let me "sample" the cake before I bought a slice, and made me a delicious variety tray. I only wish that I could remember her name. The cake was okay, better if not refridgerated. The treats were a bit hit and miss, the turnover was good and the macaroons are to DIE for!! I will good back, but I won't wait with a watering mouth. Maybe for a good Sunday breakfast.

Pros: Great staff, Good pastries, Good atmosphere

Cons: Hit and miss with the pastries, Bad location

Good effort - Edit

When you walk into the Flying Apron, the ambience couldn't be cuter! We saw a couple with their children, eating some baked goods and enjoying the time. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The chairs and tables have an old-time bakery shop feel that is very welcoming. The displays are open air, but all behind glass. It gives another authentic, old-fashioned real-bakery feel.

When looking at the myriad appealing options, it's hard to narrow down. We chose at least half-a-dozen different items, excited that we would be "set" for a few days on baked goods. Unable to resist the urge, we started eating them directly after purchase while still inside.

Sadly, the only retail vegan bakery in Seattle is great in theory, but disappointing in delivery. It is a wonderful place for folks that have gluten allergies. However, one has to accept that without the gluten, it's difficult to avoid a crumbly and/or grainy texture. Because of Flying Apron's admirable focus on health, everything tastes sort of like healthy breakfast granola in a baked good form. No doubt there are wonderful ingredients that benefit the body, but, we couldn't get past the grainy and crumbly characteristics.

Additionally, as a chocolate afficionado, all chocolate items came up short on the depth and complex flavors of high-quality chocolate-focused baked goods.

If you love healthy baked goods and you really want to taste and experience the healthy qualities with every bite, you probably won't be disappointed.

If you have celiac's disease or gluten allergies, you may love this place too.

However, I would advise against bringing non-vegans here if you are trying to convince them that vegan baked goods are just as bit as satisfying as non-vegan baked goods. Although it's not really a "baked good," try bringing them a donut from Mighty O if you want a tasty sweet vegan treat to woo the masses.

Pros: gluten free, ambiance, displays

Cons: crumbly, grainy, tastes healthy

Stay away from their Apple Berry Pie - Edit

I usually enjoy the items from this bakery but the pie we ordered for Thanksgiving was disappointing and inedible. It is hard to find good GF items anywhere, and vegan to boot. I would special order one of their cakes, but not the pie! Their items at the West Seattle Farmer's market are usually yummy too. Just don't eat the pie!

Pros: Gluten Free, Vegan, Good pastries

Cons: No parking, Terrible pie

Good for being gluten free! - Edit

We were walking through the neighborhood and found this place on accident - we were famished so decided to check it out. I had a three side item plate which included a kale salad and a quinoa salad and they were good...not great, but good. My boyfriend got a calzone and for being gluten free, I thought it was a bit above okay but he enjoyed it. I like healthy but I need my calzones to have some good vegan cheese and mock meat in it. Nice atmosphere and friendly folks!

I wish they had a 3 1/2 rating because they deserve better than a fair but not quite four stars which is very good.

Love this place! - Edit

I just visited the new cafe, after moving away from Seattle, I come every time I'm here. I love the new location and friendly atmosphere. What a great idea! I have frequented the flying apron for a few years and I have gluten sensitivities, this place is the best since I can enjoy sweets and not have any problems. I would recommend it to anyone though. My favorite items are the pecan pie (for a really rich dessert), the coconut heaven cupcakes, and the tahini cookies. This food is rich, so be aware, and a cup of tea along side is a must, or even some kombucha to enhance digestion. I wish this place all the luck in the world and I hope to bring friends to visit the cafe every time I visit Seattle. I also give it five stars, or cows, but it wont let me!!!

Pros: gluten-free, sit-down dessert cafe, super staff

Cons: can get expensive if you can't decide

Good muffins - bad cake - Edit

I bought a chocolate cherry cake for my girlfriend's birthday. It looked really good on the outside, but when we cut into it it was horible. It all just crumbled, couldn't even cut one slice. It did taste good though.

Pros: good taste, good muffins, friendly staff

Cons: crumbly cakes

Don't Park At Safeway!! - Edit

I thought this place was pretty good. I liked the "Flying Apron"-a scone type treat with sugar on top. I also tried the mint cupcake (too minty for me, my sister loved it) and a slice of chocolate chocolate cake (we fought over that...). I have heard great things about this place, they will go out of there way to make a treat for people with special dietary needs. A lot of the goods looked too healthy, I didn't see a lot of things that I had to have, but it was good.
If you go, watch where you park. I parked at Safeway and ran across the street. Apparently they have people standing outside of Safeway who look like they are just hanging out but really are there to write tickets. So I ended up with a $40.00 treat. Fortunately I was able to explain it to them and they dropped it, but don't get yourself in that situation!

Pros: Chocolate Cake, Flying Apron Scone

Cons: Too Healthy!, Parking Nazis

Delicious! Especially for being Gluten Free! - Edit

Really great gluten free vegan selections. The muffins have amazing flavor! The coconut one is so very creamy. The chocolate one melts in your mouth. The cupcakes are pretty fantastic. If you have been missing mountains of frosting in your vegan life, than these are for you. The cinnamon buns are really different but still nummy. I haven't had a single thing I didn't like! They use alot of alternative sweetners which is cool. Flavors are balanced and not run of the mill. Its hard just to get one thing. Highly recommended if you like the taste of alternative grains.

Pros: Friendly, Epic cupcakes!, Alternative sweetners

Cons: Not very cheap, Not open mondays

Too grainy - Edit

They state on their website that their "products are created with your good health in mind." Personally, when I'm eating cookies, cakes, and the like, my health goes flying out the window--I eat healthy the rest of the time. Unfortunately, Flying Apron does not share my philosophy, and the food shows it. I find that a lot of their stuff is too dry and grainy, and doesn't taste anywhere near as good as it should. And the fact that they're wheat-free does not excuse the lack of tasty food. However, some of their food is pretty decent (I like the blueberry cornbread, but it's too dry to eat without a drink). Just be warned that you may be getting something that tastes like health food when you're expecting a sweet snack.

Cons: too healthy, not good enough

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Flying Apron Organic Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4596 times since Aug 2007.