Flax and Kale

Contact +34-933175664

C Tallers 74B (at Placa Castella), Barcelona, Spain,

Serves fish, vegan options available. Offers mostly vegan with some fish and vegetarian food. Opened in Aug 2014 possibly by the same owners of the veg restaurant Teresa Carles. Bright space with large windows. Food presentation is highly styled. Advisable reserve ahead. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-11:30pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Mediterranean, Juice bar, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by LillaMy

best restaurant I have ever been to! - Edit

The food was amazing! I had the ravioli and my friend too. It tasted so good! As desert we had the grilled carrot cake, which was good and the chocolate cake which was so awesome 😁 the waiter was nice! The offer creative and tasteful food. The only downside is that they offer a lot of fish too.

A lot of fish - Edit

Cool and new stylish restaurant but very big. Misses a bit of cosiness because of that. Portions aren't always big enough and it is rather pricey. Most main courses have fish in them.
The food was really good, but not excellent. The shake on the other hand was remarkable!
A good experience, but expensive and not outstanding. I would rather try an other place than to go again.

Pros: Great shakes, A lot of choise

Cons: Most main course have fish, Big restaurant, Expensive

amazing - Edit

This is just the cutest place ever. The food is delicious and healthy, you can watch how they make their food and even see a little bit of the juicería and it also has the nicest little rooftop area ❤️

Pros: flavor, health, flair

Contributions +1073

Exquisite experience - Edit

With so many vegan and vegetarian outlets in Barcelona, the thought of going to just a veg-friendly restaurant was not high on the agenda but I am so glad we did, as this was definitely some of the best food we experienced during our recent stay. When we arrived the place was packed but we managed to get seated after a short wait and decided to order the no digas tacos and healthy mezze platter to share with a frappemocha and vegan vampire juice. The healthy mezze platter was simply delicious with a tasty assortment of different crackers and hummus dips and healthy salad, whilst the no digas tacos were divine and full of flavour. Probably the best tacos I have eaten. The vegan vampire was also refreshing and the frappemocha was outstanding and the best I have ever had. Prices are a little expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Excellent staff and service

Cons: 'Ditch the fish dishes', Advisable to reserve

Amazing food ! - Edit

This place has such amazing food , every time I come I get the avocado toast and share it with my friends then followed by the other plant based options they have here . Every time I come here I try something different and I am never disappointed ! With the food being great I will warn that the service sometimes can be really bad

Pros: great food

Cons: options can be expensive , bad service

amazing vegan options - Edit

This restaurant is not vegan, but it provides amazing vegan options. It is my favorite place to go in Barcelona. The restaurant itself is so beautiful, I was amazed when i went there for the first time. Definitely it is the best place for me as a vegan to eat in Barcelona, will always come back!

Amazing food! - Edit

Don't be put off that is not a vegetarian or vegan place as the vegan food is absolutely delicious! We had breakfast here and loved it so much we went back for lunch on the same day. Only wish we had found it before our last day in Barcelona as would have loved to try all of the vegan options! The smoothies/juices are soo good too. The prices are a little higher than some restaurants but well worth the money.

Pros: Vegan choices, Excellent service

Cons: The only con is that it's not in England!

fabuloso!! - Edit

De lo mejor de Barcelona
Best of the city
La ubicacion es fantastica, a un paso de todo. La decoracion muy bonita. La comida es exquisita, he ido varias veces y nunca me ha decepcionado.

Pros: opciones veganas y crudiveganas, me dejaron entrar con mi perrito, presentacion de los platos

Cons: es un pelin caro, al servir pescado y tener la cocina abierta, huele

Simply the BEST!! - Edit

Pues como diría Tina Turner, simply the best!! By far, one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. The place is amazingly beautiful, perfect atmosphere, extraordinary service and exquisite food! Can't wait to go there again!

Pros: Exquisite food, Fast and friendly service, Plenty of vegan options

Cons: A bit pricey, Only 1 water option

superb dining experience - Edit

We went there several times. Also at different times of the day or evening and we were always delighted with the variety of foods available, with the creative way of combining foods, with the attention to presentation, with the dining atmosphere.... whether in the terraced garden upstairs, the spacious downstairs, or the outside dining area.... all enjoyable. Staff was always friendly and attentive, but not overly in your face kind of way. We enjoyed this eating experience immensely. Recommend it highly. Not just a veggie eating place, a delightful vegetarian restaraunt.

Tasty & Beautiful - Edit

We had The best avocado toast ever! Lots of fresh juices, smoothies, acai bowl etc. The place has a great interior, the service was nice and a perfect place to have a vegan/ vegetarian breakfast before heading out for a long day in Barcelona. The location is great! We will come back for sure next time in Bcn.

Pros: Tasty & fresh, Creative, Location

Loved this place to eat some breakfast - Edit

I actually did not have a very good idea of this place, as it seems too "mainstream" (even though I do not consider myself as hipster at all, just to make clear :P). However, I was pleasantly surprised, as I stayed at the terrace, staff very nice, the vegan muffin delicious!!
I will be back, however I still think that the juices are wayyy too expensive. Got some ideas to make myself at home though hehe

Pros: Location, Staff, Food

Cons: Prices

Good food, Bad service - Edit

I came here twice on my trip to Barcelona and both times was give horrible service. The first time, the server walked by our table for a good 10 minutes saying he was going to get the person over our section until ultimately he ended up having to take our table. The food was really tasty and their presentations are beautiful. But the bad service really takes away from the whole experience

Up Market Juice Bar & Food - Edit

Instantly recognised this as part of the Teresa Carles brand. The wonderful TC restaurant is only a few blocks away. This is a bit classier and traditional serving mainly a huge range über healthy juices such as the Vegan Vampire! What a great name. They also serve well presented and fresh vegan and vegetarian food. As far as I can see this place appears to be totally meat free with the exception of some fish dishes. Apparently it is a place for the flexitarian diet, people who are essentially vegetarian but eat a little fish or chicken now and again. Strange but true! We had a light brunch consisting of seriously the most amazing avocado on toast and coconut mushrooms on toast ever. Inside it kind of reminds me a little of the Betty's Tea Rooms chain in the UK just to give you an idea, but so much better!!

Pros: amazing juices, gorgeous interior, cool atmosphere

Cons: some fish served

don't miss this if You're in Barcelona - Edit

Unfortunately it's not 100% vegan, but they do have several vegan options. The food is so good, and the place is really nice. You can get very healthy options, and really good slow juice.
I went here for breakfast everyday when I was in Barcelona

great for everyone - Edit

Really yummy food, with a wide variety of healthy, interesting, well presented dishes for herbivores and carnivores alike! Big restaurant with a nice, open, relaxed vibe reflecting the flexitarian views. I'm a veggie and will always favour and support vegetarian and vegan restaurants first but sometimes flexitarian restaurants like these are a really great spot when dining with non-veg friends and for slowly introducing the veg lifestyle to skeptics! :)

Amazing bread - Edit

As this place looked quite upmarket werent planning to visit it. However as it was a bank holiday and everywhere else we had planned to eat at was closed we figured we'd give it a try. This place does have expensive meals, but there are also more affordable options. I ordered an Avocado on toast and a cafe con leche with almond milk and it all came to €6.95. The toast was amazing. Its been hours since we ate and im still thinking about the crust. This place does serve fish but the menu makes it really clear which meals are plant based and which arent.

Pros: BREAD

Cons: i would prefer it were full veggie/vegan

Take care when you are in Barcelona - Edit

Lately, the idea of vegeterian or vegan seems very good business to everyone. If you consider to go to such places, take care, as you can find lots of problems and ugly food. One of the worse restaurants in Barcelona that introduce themselves as 'vegeterian' ( in fact, they say flexiterianismo ) is cold FLAX & KALE, WE COLD THEM: false tale..take care. Thanks Namaste

Really interesting innovative food! - Edit

Took my parents here after having visited TC with friends, and was really impressed! Despite. Serving fish (unlike TC which is veggie) there actually seems to be more vegan options here, and everything was really tasty, full of flavour, and exceptionally well presented. Very hip and trendy, and prices higher than other places in BCN but I think worth it especially for a treat.

It's a good option if you are with omni friends but want lots of vegan options.

Pros: innovative, raw food options, the amazing desserts!

Cons: Serves fish (though good if with a mixed group)

Worth a visit - Edit

I had lunch and dinner at Flax & Kale last Saturday I was in Barcelona and I absolutely loved it.
It claims to be a flexitarian restaurant including vegetarian, plant based (vegan) options and some dishes with oily fish. It seems to be focused in health and nutrition with fancy cooking techniques and ingredients. While I am happy enough following a whole foods vegan diet and do not care too much about the miraculous properties of some super foods, detox juices and so on I found their offering to be delicious, creative and very inspired.
The place itself is beautifully designed, the atmosphere vibrant, busy and hip which is a good thing for a change and makes it suitable for a quick lunch or a special dinner. The grilled asparragus with baby fava beans and Teresa's plant based black butifarra were really good as well as the mushroom tacos and the paella style black rice (damm, I really need this recipe). To top it all up, the desserts are all vegan which is not very common even in many vegetarian restaurants and the copito blanco cake was to die for. I'll definitely go back next time I am in Barcelona.

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere and decor

Terrible experience... - Edit

We've had a lunch in this restaurant which seems to be all about business/quantity rather than quality. The dishes were tasteless, we couldn't even finish them...
Upon leaving, we stayed for a while watching how their juices are made and got a real shock. Nothing there is really fresh, they have pre-prepared juices and purées and mix it all up and claim it to be super healthy - it's not even organic! There's one good thing I took out of this restaurant - I won't buy bottled ''whatever'' any more. In London there are some decent companies making real juices and smoothies, but this place is a disgrace.

Cons: Expensive, Low quality, Not fresh

Incredibly Tasteless & Disappointing - Edit

What a waste of a brunch this was; incredibly disappointing.

We were met with a hostile hostess at the opening. Each interaction with her was incredibly unpleasant and set up the meal very poorly.

The Amazon smoothie bowl tasted good but was far too sweet to finish.

The "Benedict" was served on inedible bread that was definitely not English muffins and there was raw spinach that gave the entire dish a metallic taste and created a displeasing texture. The "Hollandaise" lacked any taste whatsoever.

The decor is a straight up rip off of every new California restaurant - that means it was beautiful. However it did not make up for the rest of the issues with this place.

Pros: decor

Cons: horrible and rude service, tasteless food, menu promises items it doesn't deliver

The best food we had in Barcelona - Edit

If you can only eat in one place in Barcelona make it here. We went back for lunch the following day as dinner was so good. It really was the best food we had all holiday and we had a lot of good vegan food. Lots of options on the menu and something a bit more original and healthy. Nice surroundings too

Pros: The food, quick service after ordering

Cons: waiting to order can take a while but worth it

Yummy food :) - Edit

I was in Barcelona for 4 days in June and i went 3 times to flax and kale :):):) once for breakfast, once for lunch and finally for dinner! The food is really good, very fresh and well prepared. Not everything is vegan but there are plenty of vegan choice :):)

I def recommend this place to anyone going to Barcelona ;););) i LOVED it !

Pros: fresh food

Super! - Edit

Really good restaurant and people are very polite, professional and friendly. The atmosphere is nice and food is fresh and tastes good. It's a bit crowded around noon, but you don't have to wait to long. The double chocolate brownie cake thing was absolutely delicious. Also a good choice for non-vegans/-vegetarians.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 14, 2015

Great restaurant for breakfast and lunch - Edit

I have been here for a brunch and I was more than happy. They had a huge range of juices, plant based milks and other breakfast options like vegan muffins and a nice porridge with superfoods. Also there lunch options sounded good, I have not tried them though. The restaurant is very nice decorated. For me one of the best places I have been in Spain.

Pros: great vegan breakfast, great milks

good with buts - Edit

Wir sind hier drei mal eingekehrt und haben unterschiedliche Erfahrungen gemacht. Insgesamt aber waren wir zufrieden und werden immer wieder kommen.
Überraschend ist, dass dasselbe Gericht (rohvegane Lasagne) beim ersten Mal fast salzig - oder zu viel Pesto, beim zweiten Mal langweilig und läppsch und die Zuchhinischeiben schmeckte. Wäre das zweite mein erstes Mal gewesen, hätte ich dieses Gericht nie wieder bestellt. Die Rezepte sind vorgegeben, auch wenn der Koch wechselt. Das haben wir so noch nie erlebt, aber als Feedback sicher wichtig.
Auch die Größe der Portionen wechselt. Spaghetti sind einmal zu viel für eine Person. Verlässt man sich beim zweiten Mal drauf udn bestellt gleich zwei Teller ist es zu wenig. Wie kann das sein?
Das war es aber auch schon an den eher negativen Erfahrungen bezüglich des Essens. Ansonsteon fand ich alle Gerichte gut. Zwar ist man als gesundheitsorientierter und selbst versierter rohkostzubereitender Veganer kritischer und selten 100% zufrieden, aber dies ist auf jeden Fall ein Ort, an den man keine bösen Überraschungen erlebt, was die Speisen betrifft. Auch glutenfrei zu ordern ist kein Problem, da alle Gerichte mit eindeutigen Symbolen versehen sind. Genau nach meinem Geschmack. Damit erübrigen sich komplizierte Gespräche, Nachfragen von vornherein.
Ich liebe die Gemüsepürees: green patcho und salad to go gehören einfach dazu...auch die süßen Smoothies, die ich lieber zum Nachtisch genieße (Strawberry mit Pfeffer zB) sind gut. Die Rohkost-Kuchen fand ich dagegen nicht so top, da gibt es im Blueproject Cafe zB wesentlich bessere, aber einige andere (vor allem der Chocolate) waren gut.
Insgesamt ist das Restaurant professionell geführt. Trotzdem ist der Service langsam, aber man kann etwas pushen, dann geben sie ihr Bestes. Ein einziges Mal hatten wir eine eher unangenehme Diskussion mit einem zu eitlen Kellner am Tisch, der sich so gar nicht serviceorientiert zeigen wollte und uns arrogand belehrend vor den Kopf stieß, dabei war nur sein schlechtes Englisch der Grund. Nachdem man ihm deutlich machte, wer hier der Gast ist, gab er sich fortan auch zurückhaltender und angemessen höflich. So etwas ist mir bei den Katalanen selten passiert. Kannte das nur von Spaniern so.
Der Juniorchef (zumindest glaube ich, dass er es ist), ist sehr nett, zuvorkommend und sichtlich an einem funktionierenden Ablauf und Kundenzufriedenheit interessiert. Er - sofern er informiert ist - kümmert sich gerne auch um Sonderwünsche bzw.

Pros: vegan and raw vegan dishes, glutenfree dishes, nice interieur

Cons: slow service

Amazing vegan dishes, beautiful place - Edit

We went there twice, Nov 2014. Discovered it by accident, the interior design + all the fresh fruit caught my eye.

We were 2 and ordered quite a few dishes. They were generally excellent with a few being just good by our taste. Coming from Cambridge, UK, we did not find the prices very high. Compared to other prime locations in Barcelona they were decent, but there are definitely cheaper vegan eateries in Barcelona.

Food presentation was beautiful & recipes creative, almost gourmet. The whole experience was very stylish, something I often miss as a vegan.

We did not have the same experience as the person describing the fish smell. They do serve it but we could not smell it at all during our visits.

I only rate it 4* because they serve fish + vegetarian. The food was really 5* for us.

Pros: Great tasting gourmet vegan , vegan labels, great vegan choice

Cons: serves fish

fishy, expensive and all about the business - Edit

"Flax and Kale" is owned by the same people who run the vegetarian restaurant "Teresa Carles". That's why a lot of vegans and vegetarians in Barcelona were disappointed that they opened this place where they offer fish, claiming that it is "healthy".
No matter if you are disappointed or not, be careful vegetarians and vegans: this place SMELLS LIKE FISH. It was ok the first minutes I was there, but when people started ordering lunch (and nearly all of them seemed to order fish) the whole place started stinking. When I told the staff, they admitted I was right and mentioned they had ventilation problems.
It is very expensive considering that it is not organic food. Why on earth are prices so high then, compared to other veggie restaurants in Barcelona? They just want the restaurant to be a posh trendy vegetarian place = lots of cash. It's all about the business, and that's just disappointing :( Just so you get an idea, smoothies to go are 5,95 euros.
Other than that,location is good, the food and smoothies are tasty and the venue is nice, so if you don't mind the high prices, the "poshness" and the fish stink, I guess you could give it a try.

Pros: great location, nice venue, tasty food

Cons: fish stink, pricey, all about the business

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Flax and Kale closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.