Five Star J Restaurant

+66-38421105

313/37 Moo 10, South Pattaya Rd (at 3rd road corner), Pattaya, Thailand,

Small restaurant serving vegetarian food. Renovated in 2015. Has menu with food photos and also sells some food products for takeaway. Uses dairy cheese for pizza and eggs in some breakfast dishes. Fries with coconut oil. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Thai, Western, Beer/Wine, Delivery

First Review by JohnnySensible

ummmmamazing - Edit

This place is just perfect! Don't even bother with anywhere else! Just come!

Six stars all the way. - Edit

The only place for truly fine, responsible, delicious, and massively extensive vegan diningin the region. As good as the Hilton in terms of quality at ridiculously low prices. If this place won't at least make you consider vegan food as a part of you nutrition, nothing will. By far the finestexampleof vegan food we've come across thus far in our many years of travel.

Pros: Pages upon pages of amazing vegan dishes.

Cons: None.

awesome - Edit

Very glad I found this place, seems to be about the only healthy vegetarian option in Pattaya. Many choices on the menu. My first visit was tasty and the owner gave me samples and he was very knowlegeable about vegan living. Will be coming on a daily basis while in Patts and probably twice or thrice daily.

Been back a few times and every choice is good. The owner takes pride in quality.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-26

Pros: excellent quality food, good value, friendly knowledgeable owner

Cons: none, none, none

positive experience - Edit

really nice staff and owner, the food was really good particularly the tempeh spaghetti but the vegan ice cream was the standout for me, i tried the green apple and kiwi fruit flavour not sure if ive ever had better ice cream before ?

Pros: great staff, good food, affordable

Amazing range of Vegan options - Edit

We are here twice while in Pattaya and the choice of food was amazing, sometimes meaning it tools us a while to decide what to eat!!! Staff are friendly, speak good English and understand the vegan concept so you don't have to worry about what you are eating.

Pros: Great range of dishes, Veg options can be made vegan, Friendly and knowledgeable staff

Cons: Limited seating so might have to wait at peak time

Just awesome - Edit

Seriously one of the best vegan Restaurants I've ever been to. Was there almost 6 months ago and after I've found that nice place I either ordered something or went there everyday . Their temphe is superb and their "duck" dishes as well. Everybody is really friendly. This restaurant made my stay in pattaya.

amazing "chicken" massaman - Edit

I always intend to order something other than the above, but it just tastes too good! I would prefer a more low key decor...lone visitors look a bit like plumps here. background music is a bit annoying....but the food is fantastic.... and that's what we go for. best massaman I've ever tasted.

Five star everything. - Edit

Excellent restaurant. huge selection..
some with egg. A little expensive in comparison to other shops...but it's a proper air con and waiter restaurant. worth the extra cost. pic attached of imitation duck...massaman curry with fried tofu and noodles with soya meat. highly recommended. Best in pattaya

Pros: huge selection, easy to find.

Cons: pricey, German business conferences on every visit.

good place but expensive - Edit

good test, good place, expensive a bit
lowest price 104 baht.

tomyum 149 baht
pizza 249
tomato 104

300 baht/person

Pros: good service Eng well

Cons: expensive

Converted - Edit

I've been coming to Thailand for many years, as a long time vegetarian I always struggled with thai food. Inevitably a little chicken stock or fish sauce is nearly always used. I was envious of how everyone else simple simply ordered a range of dishes and ticked in, eating became an ordeal. of course there are Indian vegetarians which I like but which can be rather heavy. I tried five star and now for the first time I have tried real thai food and actually joined into an enjoyable experience of eating thai for the first time. This restaurant really is first class on every front, cleanliness, explanation, taste and price, cannot recommend highly enough.

Pros: No meat whatsoever, I can relax completely and try

Cons: No cons

Kelly Kelly 28 Sep 2016 - I agree, what a joy to be able to trust anything coming to the table!

Very good higher class vegetarian restaurant - Edit

This place comes with higher prices, but it's definitely worth visiting! Place is very clean and modern, with pleasant background music, staff is very professional and nice.

Their menu is huge with tons of really delicious stuff, I guarantee you won't be able to decide ;) I had noddles with tempeh, the tempeh was amazing! Portions are very reasonable also.

I highly recommend visiting at least once :)

Pros: clean modern place, huge menu, taste

Cons: higher prices

Highly recommendable, everything very healthy. - Edit

For Thailand unusual clean, even the kitchen I was allowed to take a peek.
More than 160 dishes, most of them vegan, all fresh cooked. They have a lot of qualified staff. The service even asks for the wished temperature of the free, well purified water.
No chemicals in the food, they guarantee on the menu.
Very expensive ingredients such as organic coconut oil and meat-fakes made of soy protein. Very delicious all rice dishes, you can choose between organic black and red and high quality white rice. They even understand to prepare tempeh very tasty. I love the tempeh sate, burger, curry and spaghetti.
The portions are well proportioned and the prices very reasonable.
If you have only a small budget: You´ll find a lot of dishes at 88 or 99 THB.
My result: You can find me here every day during my stay.

Pros: Clean and cosy, No chemicals like MSG, etc., Good portions at low prices.

Cons: none, none, none

Great food. New ownership as of July 2014 - Edit

I've been going to this restaurant for over 5 years and they have always maintained a great taste and variety in their food.
The place has been renovated and looks a lot cleaner and nicer, including a new toilet which is much better.
The prices have increased a bit, and the portions have somewhat decreased since previous owners... but still very good value and quality food.
Some would say prices are a bit high for Pattaya, but will be difficult to find another place locally with food made this healthy and with so much attention and love.
New owners many have made many changes and have added many new dishes. You must try the Shitake mushroom & spinach pizza. And just recently added some very delicious tempeh options. WOW! I truly love their tempeh.

Another good thing is that they have eliminated most of the sugar, oils and done away with MSG (this is great), which Thai cooking tends to use lots of. Can also order food as you like it, spicy or not spicy. New hours also make it much more convenient to find vegetarian food in the late hours. They are now open from 11am-11pm.
Give it a try... the owners are very friendly and accommodating.

Pros: food very yummy, excellent quality, excellent location which is easy to find, Less sugar and less oil

Sevin you are underwhelmed - Edit

I visit this restaurant since more then 20 years. In the past, because it was the only one I could reach easily from my house, since the new owner is there because I love it. The place became so nice and clean, no plastic on the tables but cotton tableware. The cutlery is no longer brought with dirty hands, it's wrapped in tissues.
The quality of the food can't be topped and the prizes were increased very slightly. The portions have not become smaller.
They banned the usual white sugar and use not extra sweets, MSG and other poisons are banned, too. The oils are very light, sunflower and coconut oil ist mostly used. Palm oil the don't have.

I have been in the restaurant when this bad guy showed up. He was complaining already before he has seen the food.
He became very unfriendly and I could hear him shout that he will write a very bad review. At this time I didnt know what that is, now I know that he tries everything to defame the owner and the restaurant.
As I wish very much that this phantastic restaurant exists long time so I can eat there, I post this review. [edit by staff - see tos]

Pros: Good atmosphere, everything clean, Light and very tasty food, Ongoing new dishes, over 100

Cons: None , None, None

2 Responses

Thonglor Sadiang 08 Apr 2015 - Thank you very much, dear Helen, for this comment. It´s good to see, that in this mostly rather poor emotional times there is somebody with courage and sense of justice. We will be glad to see you soon

Kelly Kelly 05 May 2015 - I have had nothing but great experiences in this fine restaurant.

Great food, great prices, great service.

Thank you for providing such a wonderful place to dine!!

Underwhelmed - Edit

MY LAST REVIEW WAS UNFAIRLY AND INAPPROPRIATELY REMOVED! IT WAS HONEST AND ACCURATE. LET'S BE FAIR AND INCLUSIVE TO ALL MEMBERS, NOT JUST THE OWNERS WHO CAN'T HANDLE TRUE AND ACCURATE CRITICISM.

Having dined here hundreds of times over the past 8+ years, since the change in ownership I've been unimpressed. The food is the same...very good...but the prices have skyrocketed while the portions are noticeably smaller and the customer service severely diminished.

Pros: Clean, Good food

Cons: Small portions, Prohibitively expensive, New owner

2 Responses

Sevin 06 Apr 2015 - This is strictly business, not personal. However, I must make one thing perfectly clear,as you keep wrongly stating that we did not pay that day. Although our food was offered gratis, we did NOT accept this offer. As we departed, we left nearly 600 baht on the table...more than covering our bill AND a tip of approximately 10%. The farang owner followed us outside and tried to return the money. We politely refused and said that if he didn't want the money, then he should give it to the staff. With that, we left and he kept the money.

This is EXACTLY what transpired and anyone who says differently is being dishonest.

Thonglor Sadiang 07 Apr 2015 - Hi Sevin,

Thank you for your review. Sorry for the harsh first response which I'm revising now.

We are so glad to see that you still enjoy our food! We find it very encouraging that you and and our other reviewers and customers seem to all agree on our excellent food quality. Being that you ate at the restaurant when it was under different ownership hundreds of times and think our food quality is still as good means a lot to us.

In order to keep our food ingredients and quality at our high standards, we have had no choice but to raise our prices slightly due to international food price increases. We feel our prices are still very reasonable for the top quality food that we offer.

We also put great pride into keeping our restaurant very clean as you mention.

We are always working to improve our customer service. If there is a specific issue that you have with our servers or staff, please feel free to let us know directly, and we will do anything we can to accommodate your needs. We only accept money from fully satisfied customers, and we decided not to charge you for your meal because you had some issue with the value that we offer. We will continue to strive to do our very best with all of our customers by providing high quality food at reasonable prices with unparalleled service."

To make the case clear for you. We do not have a farang owner, it´s me who owns and runs this restaurant and the money you left behind was given to the temple, as we really don´t accept money from dissatisfied guests.

Wonderful! - Edit

Big menu with lots of great tasty food, nice clean and comfortable restaurant, good and friendly service, excellent english, yummie fresh fruitshakes. As perfect as it can be.

Five Star J - every other day! - Edit

I eat here several times a week, and sometimes order home delivery at their website. The food is high quality and delicious. I love so many of their dishes with pumpkin, kale, mushrooms, and other wholesome ingredients. Very satisfying!

Pros: nutritious, tasty food, over 100 dishes, friendly staff

Thonglor Sadiang 07 Mar 2015 - Thank you very much for this nice review.

I was dining excellent, not getting fed !!! - Edit

Entering this place I was impressed. Everything clean, two tablecloths, one cream, one red, cutlery wrapped in tissues and a huge menu (over one hundred). Beside Thai you find excellent international dishes such as pizza, risotto, pasta, Swiss roesti, fried potatos and pancakes and, and. Every menu is in Thai and English, with real photos and well described. As vegan I only had to look for the J in the menu-list.
With the menu came free, very good tasting drinking water and my glass never was empty. The owner, a friendly and competent Thailady came to explain the menu. They banned all white sugar and use the brown one very careful, use different oils like coconut for deep-frying because soy oil cannot be heated enough. She also explained the dishes, told me about crab meat made of konjac roots, grilled shiitake mushrooms that taste a little bit like lamb steaks and a new drinking water machine. They serve food for non-Thais usually moderate spicy because everything is daily-fresh. I could not really believe, it sounded too good.
I ordered the fried rice with pineapple (THB 99), the Mama Thai noodles with duck (THB 149) and the spinach Pizza with shiitake mushrooms (THB 299). The very friendly service lady asked me, how spicy I can eat. They categorize from one to five chillies.
Two minutes later the attractive Thai owner asked me, whether I really can eat all that, but if not, they would pack in for take away. We decided to do like that.
However more than ten guests were in the restaurant, my first dish was served after 12 minutes. Thinking about the rubber soles I first tried the topping –Wow-, what was that. Tasty, a little bit sweet. Ning, the owner explained me, this are miitake mushrooms. What a difference. The pineapple cut very small, the rice tasty and no oil to be seen. And the portion overfilled a fresh, half pineapple. Meanwhile the Mama Thai noodles arrived. Just one word: d e l i c o u s. The fake-duck like a real one. A little spicy, just like I ordered.
And they seem to know their food, the pizza I had to take home. But I tried one piece in the restaurant, crispy base (they asked me before how I want it) and tasty topping. The shiitakes are sensationell.
Consumption: Worth every baht.
If you like to dine, not to be fed for s

Pros: Priceworthy, Top Quality, Friendly and competent staff

Cons: Should have more seats, Close already at 09 PM

Return to Pattaya Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Five Star J Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.