Five Rivers Indian Cuisine

Contact 403-258-1111

11 Castleridge Blvd NE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T3J2J8

Vegetarian Indian buffet and pizza served every day all hours. Dairy is used in all dishes, as reported Jan 2013. Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Lacto, Pizza, Indian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by alicewheaton_Cats

wonderful - Edit

This is my family’s favorite restaurant, 100% vegetarian with tons of selection at a great price $10.99! They have nice staff, though many don’t speak much English, so don’t count on asking what’s in there! They are a family friendly restaurant with a very relaxed atmosphere that we visit regularly with our two young children and have always had a wonderful time!
They also do pizza that is awesome and $10 for a large!
They are well worth a visit!
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 28, 2014

Pros: Selection , price, family friendly

Cons: Communication , bathrooms are not so nice

Not so great. - Edit

I was super excited to try out my first veg only restaurant, because I'm sick and tired of going places and having to ask for everything that's in the food before eating it. Sadly, despite how everyone was telling me this place was awesome, I was really disappointed. The food was ok, not that I knew what ANY of it was. There were no labels on any of the buffet dishes, and they didn't actually let you order anything from your table. You HAD to get the buffet. I get it that the buffet is your cheapest option, and that is what most people go for, but some of us would rather order from a menu and know what we're getting. We'd also like to drink something other than water.

Decor wise- you can tell this place used to be a Pizza Hut. They haven't even tried with the decor- in fact there are something like 15 tables at the back all smooshed together, with chairs pretty much sitting on top of each other. A little effort would be nice. :-/

Pros: Food Tasted Good, 100% Vegetarian

Cons: Have no idea what any of the food is, Really Poor Service

Not Vegan Friendly - Edit

Although their website says they are vegan-friendly that the staff knows which dishes don't have dairy, this was not the reality. The staff did not understand that dishes with butter or cream on top of them in the buffet were not vegan. When we tried to order from the menu instead, the staff kept trying to redirect us to the buffet, which had dairy on top of almost all of the dishes (even after we explained politely that we didn't want to eat anything with dairy on it). We ended up leaving (after speaking with various staff members), as we didn't feel confident that we could get anything vegan there.

Screw in the Pizza - Edit

November 4, 2012
Buffet - Myself and wife went for dinner today to check the veg buffet. Initially we liked to see so many kinds of food. The quality was so so. Most of them were not properly heated. The worst part was my wife suddenly found a medium size fat screw while having the pizza. she was chewing first thinking of some ingredient inside. Later on she was shocked to find it was a screw. She couldn't eat anything after that. We informed the people around there.All of them were very uncaring and didn't say even sorry. They said it came from the oven. If it went to her stomach it could have caused severe consequence like pain or bleeding or more.Thank god,nothing happened. Lastly I took some desert (Gulab Jamun,Firni,Laddu etc.) and it was awesome. But main problem is cheap price is ruining the quality and uncaring attitude of the employees. I thought of taking more friends there,but will never enter the tacky restaurant anymore.

Pros: desert, space/decor

Cons: service, quality

Fantastic Indian Food - Edit

We have been twice at this Buffet and each time we have been amazed at how good the food is. We have been told by a Real indian person that this place serves real food that taste the same in India. There is no labelling so you have to discover for yourself if you don't know all about Indian food, but it is worth the journey, it is like a happy firework in your mouth. The place is clean and it doesn't matter at what time of day you go, it is ready for you, go and enjoy, we might see you there... delicious and priced well....

Pros: Fantastic food, Fantastic Taste, Very Good Value

Cons: Plastic over tablecloth, Ligthing could be better, Food could be labelled

Cheap - Edit

Its good to have a completely vegetarian restaurant but for vegans its sometimes difficult which is what we found at Five Rivers. On arrival we were greeted by a member of staff who indicated there was no chicken or beef ( probably because its name does indicate its vegetarian) we said were vegan but that seemed to cause some confusion - did not seem to know what it was. I then tried to explain what it was and she took me round the buffet and pointed out those with milk but thought cream was different and did not even consider cheese. So with no labels on the food did not feel we knew entirely what we were eating although knew it was vegetarian. Food was ok, tasted good but some vegetables were so poor quality were inedible ie okra. I recommend the owners label the dishes and ingredients. One half of the restaurant sells take out veggie pizza and location seems to be an old pizza hut building so easy parking.

Pros: Completely vegetarian, Good value, easy parking

Cons: Food not labelled so vegan food unclear, Poor quality ingredients, Staff not very informed about vegan food

Happy eating...a great find - Edit

Five Rivers is a gem in the North East quadrant of the city... Castleridge Blvd and 52nd St NE. For $9.95 it provided you with dozens of vegan or vegetarian choices. We went for lunch and as I began my first 'go around' of the buffet, I found myself wondering if I should also do a take out for supper! There are five kinds of fruit, several salad options, and at least a dozen hot choices. And the taste was robust yet not hot, although the condiment selections could help with that. I am now a fan and will spread the word. Calgary needed this delicious addition to the Indian food/vegan scene.

Pros: Great food, Gracious Service, Great Price

Return to Calgary Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Five Rivers Indian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3272 times since Feb 2012.