Field of Greens

Contact 713-533-0029

2320 W Alabama, Houston, Texas, USA, 77098

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarian and fish. Offers daily vegan soups, veggie burgers, vegan fish tacos and fajitas. Kitchen keeps all vegan food items and equipment separate. Has Wi-Fi. No smoking. BYO. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Macrobiotic, Raw, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by vmonk

Field of Greens, a vegan favorite - Edit

Most of the menu is labelled vegan, with a few vegetarian items (cheese) and a fish dish. The food is wonderfully tasty...the seasoning on the fries is amazing, and the creamy garlic dressing on the salad is so delicious :) :) I enjoy getting the bite sized vegan cupcakes for dessert when they have them!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice portions, Mostly vegan

Cons: Expensive

Mainly vegan - Edit

Very laid back, casual restaurant with very good, tasty mostly vegan menu. Had not been there in a while, since there are some 100% vegan restaurants nearby, and I choose to support those. Recent lunch trip to FOG. Had a tasty, filling falafel sandwich on pita with tahini and sprouts, with a side of tomato basil soup, for less than $12.00 so very affordable.
Non veg offerings are a couple of fish dishes, and honey in the BarBQ sauce. Seating indoor and out.
Next door to charming Path of Tea shop, where one can also dine.

Pros: Mostly vegan, Affordable, Convenient location

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Serves fish

Very Good and a ton of Vegan Options - Edit

Lets face it our Vegan options are pretty slim here in Houston so i was very happy and surprised to find this place. It has a good ambiance and the staff is very friendly on top of having a very large vegan menu so no shortage of options. I had the enchiladas which were pretty good.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 09, 2015

Great Food - Edit

I moved about 90 miles away from Houston into the Big Thicket a few years ago where its genuinely hard to find a restaurant with vegetarian options much less vegan menu choices. Whenever my wife and I happen to be in Houston we look for a restaurant that offers a vegan menu. My wife found Field of Greens searching the web. This casual restaurant has a pretty varied menu with appetizers, salads, sandwiches, entrees, and deserts. All menu items are clearly marked as either vegan, vegetarian, or containing meat. The menu is definitely weighted toward vegan with only a couple of opens with animal products in them.

I had vegan wheat roast fajitas and my wife had vegan tamales. Both were incredible. We also shared a plate of fries with tofu picante sauce. It was super Yummy. The portion sizes were just rite as well and although its not fast food chain prices its very reasonable for freshly made fare.

The place has a smallish but adequate indoor seating area with a few tables outside in front of the restaurant on their sidewalk area. Patrons order at the counter but the food is brought out to your table by the staff. We will definitely be back to Field of Greens when in Houston.

Pros: Great Menu with lots of choices, Friendly Staff

healthy lunch or dinner - Edit

I like this place. When we lived in Houston, this was a go-to place for a casual sit down dinner. Field of Greens has some creative dishes - I especially liked quinoa subbed for noodles with pesto and vegetables! The best part about Field of Greens is that it is not greasy, in comparison with nearly all other vegan food in Houston. Thank you for the healthy options!

Pros: healthy, creative, tasty

Nice Lunch - Edit

I had lunch here recently, a veggie pita with French fries. It was tasty enough but small for the price. Also tried the carrot cake for dessert, which was absolutely delicious! Easy to find and easy to park. Friendly service. I'm not sure why I was expecting it to be a full service restaurant, but you order at the counter. Nice to have so many vegan options on one menu.

Delicious Meal - Edit

We had lunch at Field of Greens on August 29th 2013 while passing through Houston. It was highly recommended by an 'almost vegan' friend.

Food was delicious, selection/choices nice. The restaurant is large with lots of seating. WiFi accommodations.

Service was friendly and quick.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Fast Service, Good Selection

Cons: None!

Almost all vegan w/ healthy delicious food - Edit

The fact that they are listed as veg-friendly is deceptive, because their new menu is probably 90% vegan. Their menu is listed vegan sandwiches, vegan entrees, vegan salads, and then a small non-vegan section (which has one salmon dish, I think). The food is really good. Obsessed with their tofu fries, their California club sandwich and seaweed club are delicious! Not super unhealthy either! I go a lot! Better than many all-vegan places.

Pros: Great food, TOFU FRIES, Almost all vegan

Cons: Not all vegan

FoG! - Edit

I have not been here in a little while, but used to go here all the time! It has great food and much variety. Not one hundred percent vegan though. It is not as good as it used to be though when I first started eating there. The menus has changed somewhat too, and the prices have raised. The setting of the restaurant is laid back and simple.

The stand out meals are: Zucchini & Squash Quesedillas, Wild Field Pockets, Vegan Seaweed Club, Tofu Fries, Vegan Fajitas, Vegan Grilled Vegetable BBQ, Vegan BBQ Sandwich, Vegan Green Bean Hummus Wrap, Vegan Eggplant Parmesan, Vegan Village Burger, Vegan Tempeh BLT Sandwich, Tabouli Avocado Sandwich, Vegan Felafel Burger, Grilled Eggplant Sandwhich, Tofu Quiche Salad, Vegan Burrito and Salad, Portobella Burger, Eden Burger, Chocolate Tofu Pie, Apple Maple Crumble Ice Cream.

I miss their Vegan Nachos, Vegan Fish Taco Platter, and breakfast foods.

Still a very good place to eat out.

Pros: excellent vegan food, great selection, simple

Cons: pricey, offers fish, removed some good foods

My kind of place! - Edit

I was visiting Houston from northwest Indiana and am very glad I decided to try field of greens..great menu selections with clearly marked vegan options. Had the bbq seitan sandwich w/ side salad and a strawberry blueberry smoothie for dessert..all very good. Next time I visit I'll be back to try more.

Pros: Great vegan choices, Health focused, Outdoor seating

Great Variety of Veg Dishes - Edit

I have been dining at Field of Green's since they opened. Originally they were a totally vegetarian restaurant with Chef Randy at the helm, who used to be with A Moveable Feast. Currently I believe they are about 80-90% vegetarian with many vegan dishes.

Through the years I have not once been disappointed with my dishes. I have tried most of their dishes and they have a very large variety of veg meats to choose from. I especially like their vegan pork and vegan fish. Their macrobiotic plate is a favorite, which I order regularly. Also, the vegan barbecue is very delicious. Lastly, I love their smoothies.

The vibe has changed from when they first opened. It used to be that they had this wonderfully eccentric waitress who gave the greatest vibe as well as jazz music predominantly being played in the background. It was relaxing and made we want to stay and visit.

Things have changed some but all in all you will not be disappointed. A great spot for fresh vegetarian food.

Pros: Variety, Fresh, Great veg meat selection

QUICK AND CONVENIENT - Edit

As a veteran diner at Field of Greens, I must say that it's a clean, quiet, and peaceful place to dine in the inner loop area.

I suggest the Gluten free "Vegan Green Pasta", not necessarily because it's gluten free, but because of it's insanely delicious vegan pesto sauce!

If you don't mind soy, the Eden Burger is a delicious option which has a delicious soy protein patty encrusted with a buttery basil crust.(though you have to ask for extra sauces if you want them, they tend to be a little stingy on that).

I hope that this establishment become more conscious of hidden animal products in the hand soap they use in the restroom.

The owner is not the most personable host in the world, but she grows on you eventually.

Overall, I suggest Field of Greens as a clean, convenient veggie friendly dining spot in the inner loop of Houston next to a wonderful organic tea conoisseur cafe called Path of Tea.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 23, 2011

Pros: Convenient location, Path of Tea next door, Clean

Cons: Needs hidden animal product awareness

Good food, decent prices - Edit

It is great to have another vegan-friendly place of eats.
I had one of their burritos. It was very good, but could use some more creative spices.

Pros: Good food., Nice place., Decent prices

Cons: Nonvegetarian food served, ask to besure, Some food lacks "kick"

My Favorite Restaurant - Edit

This is my favorite Houston restaurant. I eat there frequently and think the food is awesome! I have yet to try a bad meal. Sometimes they experiment with dishes that may require a little tweaking, but it doesn't take long before perfection is reached. The Raw Plate and the Green Bean Wrap are my two favorites.

Pros: delicious food, healthy food, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: location, size, understaffed

Healthy, light on salt and seasonings - Edit

This place uses high quality ingredients. They are light on salt and seasoning. I personally found it a little boring, but would be great for someone who needs a diet light on salt and spices. Lots to choose from. Tons of REAL vegan options. Very nice people!

Pros: Casual, Clean

Cons: Simple

Meh - Edit

Upon going here the first time, I was thrilled with the quantity of options and the wonderful Fajitas. Upon going the second time, I was greeted with painfully slow and rude service, sticky tables, and a meal that was so unmemorable that I literally have no Idea what I ordered. Field of Greens is fine if you are close by, but other Houston veggie restaurants [edit by staff] are way better. Also, they spell their sign "Field of Green's", with an apostrophe, which (unless the owner's name is Green) is just wrong.

Delish - Edit

I have been several times to Field of Greens and have yet to find a dish I didn't like. I am especially fond of their *ham* and often order a dish that lists it as an ingredient. The place is small but comfortable and has plenty to choose from on the menu.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 08, 2010

Decent, but I've had better raw meals - Edit

Not to my surprise, everything was really pricey and the portions are not that impressive. Food was still good, but there's also too much soy in everything.

Pros: Variety

Cons: Price, Soy

Decent food and decent prices - Edit

The service was quite slow, but I was only there once and there were 5 of us. It didn't look like there were too many people working the kitchen, so it's not their fault. The menu is big and there are lots of vegan options. I had the macrobiotic platter, which was just ok. The little tofu quiche was amazing, but tiny. The vegetables had no flavor, but added salt/pepper. The kale was good. The carrot ginger soup was quite oily. The "fish" tacos my husband had were VERY good and the accidental free hummus they brought out to start was delicious, with the pesto on top! And their chocolate cake (vegan) was really good too. It's not the coziest of settings, but it's clean and bright. I might go back again if I were in the area.

Pros: good prices, pretty good food

Cons: slow service, plain ambience

3rd Review - NOT SAFE FOR VEGANS - Edit

I'm a strict vegan. That means I really don't eat cheese...or casein..or whey..or eggs..or egg whites..or anything that comes from an animal. I truly don't. I seriously don't. SO when I go to a restaurant that claims to be serving me vegan food..and it turns out they aren't - I get very upset..no make that furious! That's why I won't give a good review for Field of Greens. I have been served/fed cow cheese instead of soy cheese as well as fake meats with whey and egg whites in them. I've also gotten sick after eating there. I will never go back to this place again.

Pros: great for meat eaters

Cons: feed vegans dairy, feed vegans egg laden fake meats, salmon is a meat

great and o.k. - Edit

I have been here at least 10 times in the past years and i will be back. The menu is slightly overwhelming, but only because the options seem endless. Most of the things taste the same, which is monotonous, but it tastes good so thats not bad i suppose. They need more options for children, not all kids will eat what they offer. The wheat meat, soy and seiten are excellent and varied, the condiments they offer are surprising and quality. i can't stand the salads, but thats just me,it would not deter me from going.

Pros: variety, tasty, friendly staff

FOG'S DOES NOT SERVE MEAT - Edit

I read some recent reviews saying that Field of Green's serves meat, but that's not correct. They do serve salmon and tuna, which is not considered meat and the only reason the owner leaves those items on the menu is because it's so popular. Field of Green's is really one of the only healthy vegetarian restaurants in Houston. I do not think Field of Green's gets enough credit. The food is delicious and although the atmosphere may not be that creative, it's nice. A lot of people get upset because they do not serve sodas, but it's for the better. Too many people in Houston consume too much sugar and salt, so I think Field of Green's could help people become healthier.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friend staff

2 Responses

Not happy - Edit

I've eaten here countless times - and though I thought it was kind of expensive for what it is, I always went back. However, I recently talked to a kid who worked there - and he claimed that the item I usually ordered, the eden burger, has egg whites in it. They advertise it as something that can be made vegan, so I request it vegan. The idea that I've been eating eggs unknowingly infuriates me. It's just outright betrayal. In short, I believe the person I talked to and I won't be eating there again.

4 Responses

No bells and whistles, but the food is wonderful - Edit

Has the feel of a college hang out - the walls are painted outlandishly, but there's no decor to tie the crazy paint into a design, so you walk in and go "woah" and marvel at what the hell the owner was thinking.
Good thing the food's great, or else this place would have a real problem on their hands because the ambiance is sorely lacking.
They run the gammut for veg friendly fare; serving fish and chicken as well as vegan meals. Everything from Mexican, Italian, Indian, & Asian food.
It's the kind of place you'd meet an old friend for a meal, where you'd grab a quick bite after a workout, or a quiet place to go to study and refuel.
Not a first date or "dress to impress" joint.

Pros: food, selection, laid back attitude

Cons: decor, parking

Yummy, healthy, quality food - Edit

It took a while, but we've grown to love this place. The decor is a little sterile, but the food is good and the service is friendly. They can make your order vegan upon request. Our favorites: tabouli avocado sandwich (with almost an entire avocado in it!), macrobiotic platter, village tofu sandwich, & wild salmon sandwich. The soups are always good, the fries are amazing (not greasy at all), and salad with the garlicky dressing is a nice side. They also have good condiments (Bragg's, sriracha, etc.) The vegan chocolate cake is RIDICULOUSLY good - not sickly sweet like some places. Prices are fair considering they use quality ingredients that are almost all organic. We've only been at night, but hope to try their breakfast/brunch one day.

Pros: healthy, quality ingredients, tasty

Cons: no coffee (at least in the evenings), ambiance (strip mall/sterile)

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Field of Greens closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4176 times since Aug 2007.