Fern Flavors from the Garden

• Vegetarian
Contact 704-377-1825

1323 Central Ave (at Plaza Midwood area), Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, 28205

Vegetarian cafe est. 2011. The varied menu draws on a fusion of influences and includes dishes like bruschetta, Indian fry bread tacos, om burger, harvest salad, risotto, buddha rice bowl, organic and bio-dynamic wine, beer from regional breweries. Vegan substitute options are marked.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Fusion

First Review by addendum54

Mother's Day Brunch - Edit

I took my mom to Fern today for Mother's Day brunch. The atmosphere, service and food far exceeded my expectations on such a busy day.

We are truly blessed to have a jewel like this in our city.

Pros: food, service, atmosphere

awesome restaurant - Edit

Amazing food. Great staff. Good location. Organic. Local ingredients when possible. They serve drinks. Great portions sizes. Only downside is they use processed sugars in their desserts which I don't understand as there are so many healthier alternatives like maple syrup, coconut palm sugar or honey.

Decent - Edit

After attending the Charlotte Veggie Fest, we decided to hit up Fern which was right across the street. We were a large crowd of Vegan, Vegan curious, and meat-eaters. We were looking for a place that had a menu that looked to be meat-eater friendly, to accommodate a group of meat-eaters that are extremely skeptical about eating at vegan restaurants. As a side note, I believe the menu is seasonal (so the dishes I list below, may or may not be on the menu should you decide to go). We tried a variety of items including the choose 3 appetizer: Ginger-Scallion Hummus, House-Made Kimchi, and Spiced Olives. It came with pita and pumpernickel bread. We also tried the Fern Bruschetta, minus the cheese. Of everything we tried, the appetizers were by far the most enjoyed dishes. Of the main dishes, we tried the Carrot Salad, Warm Kale Salad, OM Burger, Sweet Potato Reuben, Crispy Tofu Pad Thai, Laughing Buddha Bowl, and the Sweet Potato Fettuccine. Sides included the Simple Salad, Crispy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes, and the Cup o' Soup. Unfortunately, only myself and my husband (the two vegans) finished the entrees. For someone looking for less comfort food, and more whole foods (for example, they used relatively uncooked carrots instead of noodles in the Pad Thai), then this is probably a good place to frequent. For someone looking for foods closer to the traditional title of the entree listed . . . you may be underwhelmed. Unfortunately, this is not what we were looking for, the particular day we decided to try Fern.

Pros: Good Appetizers, Whole Foods

Cons: Medicore Entrees

A great little place for GREAT food - Edit

I have only visited twice, and both times it was wonderful. I simply can not wait to try (almost) every item on the menu - we will stay away from the eggs.

The food is flavorful with out trying too hard. Meaning, they didn't over do it, make my plate try to look like an art form, etc. It was well prepared, nicely presented, and very tasty.

The staff is patient and answered all our questions and were very attentive.

Pros: Friendly, Vegan, Tasty

Wonderful! - Edit

Great variety of unusual but delicious vegetarian foods. Home made tempeh was fantastic. The sweet potato and leek fritters are really yummy. Go here and support creative nutritious cooking!

Pros: Friendly service, Food!, Price

Lovely staff - wish they had raw choices! - Edit

Fern is a beautiful restaurant and the staff is welcoming and warm. I've eaten there several times, and very much enjoy their OM burger. I very much wish they would incorporate raw options. I don't understand why a vegan chef/owner wouldn't include living food. I love their wine selection - their staff - their vegan outlook, but I don't dine their as often as I would if they simply added a couple raw entree options. I choose Luna instead...

Pros: great staff, lovely restaurant, vegan

Cons: no raw options

best vegan experience ever - Edit

My wife and I visited Charlotte for only 4 nights and we ate at Fern 3x! Everything was gourmet and amazing. We attended one of their 6 course meal nights that they paired with a local organic beer brewery. I am not a vegan virgin when it comes to food as I have eaten at many of the acclaimed NYC places, but this place is so far the best I have had. Don't miss out!

Wasn't a fan - Edit

NOT a place for people exploring the vegan option, in my opinion. I'm a vegetarian. the empanadas were great but the entree i had (had two because the first one was horrible) were not good. the waiter was awesome though!! the waiter was so awesome I didn't want to return the second entree.

Pros: Cute location, friendly and helpful staff

Cons: very small menu, food was not tasty

cool experience - Edit

We were the only ones there for dinner so we had excellent friendly service from 2 waiters. We also got to watch a yoga class going on in front while eating which was unique and enjoyable. We werent crazy about the apps we got, the "kimchi lettuce wraps" and "carnitas tacos", but they were refreshing and healthy. We really liked our 2 main dishes, the "squash fillet" and the "ginger fish and chips". The dining room was comfortable and had a living wall we sat under which we loved.

Pros: great atmosphere, friendly service

5-Star Flan and It Is VEGAN! - Edit

Great vegan food and totally awesome desserts. I am a big fan of Flan and have not had any for the past 5 years because I am vegan. What a wonderful surprise today when I had vegan flan. It was so delicious. I will be eating here every time I come to Charlotte.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Peaceful environment

Cons: expensive, not organic

Good Food, Great Staff! - Edit

The food was wonderful and outstanding. It was very busy at lunch time and I had to wait awhile for my server to begin, but everyone was wonderfully nice, helpful and everyone who worked there stopped by to check on me at least once.

I also felt that the prices were quite good for the quality of food.

The restaurant is warm and inviting and would be a very romantic place for a date.

Loved it!

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Beer selctions, Good prices

Fantastic food, good prices, friendly service - Edit

Eat at Fern regularly. It is all vegetarian with many vegan dishes and vegan substitutions available for many not already vegan. Have had some fun noshes lately including house made kimchi, ginger hummus and a soicy pepper thing. Salads always great, esp a recent warm kale version. Appreciate the seasonal veg and vegan options. Fall/winter hit, for example, was bourbon braised pumpkin filet over turnip/apple purée w shiitake bacon and crispy Brussels sprouts. So good I was inspired to recreate at home. Honestly, I have been to some of the most highly rated vegetarian restaurants in much larger cities and Fern stands up to them if not often beating them on creativity. Good beer selection including a number of local options. Adequate wine list with reasonable markups. Check out half price wine night on Thursdays for a deal. Have always had cheerful service even when we walked in on a packed night without a reservation.

Pros: Seasonal selections, Creativity

fern flavors from the garden - Edit

We took the whole family to Fern. All of the food was unique, delicious and well presented. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The highlight was the dessert - a chocolate cheesecake with a beet fluff. There was a good selection of local beers for us parents and the kids enjoyed a fresh sweet potato juice. Well done Fern!

Pros: excellent service, unique menu selections, excellent food

Great! - Edit

I had to go ahead and write a hasty review as I'm a little shocked this place isn't more highly rated (especially where service is concerned). Vegan here. I've been a handful of times and every time was great. I appreciate the juice selection, the OM burger is a must-try, and vegan desserts have always been available and excellent. Ambiance is nice (though it's small, and try to avoid sitting near the door when it's cold out!) and service has always been some of the best I've experienced, actually. I'm in Winston-Salem and there's nothing even close to vegan here, so I make sure to go by Fern every time I'm in Charlotte. It could improve, of course, by going 100% vegan! Oh, and make reservations or you WILL wait on a busy night.

Pros: Service, Juice, Dessert

Food OK, service bad - Edit

Meanwhile there are three vegan restaurants in Charlotte so a vegan has options.
Still tried the Fern though as they opened back before I became a vegan and I always wanted to go.
Fern has several vegan options (had no vegan dessert though when I was there) and the food is not bad.
However, not as good as I had expected (I know the Halcyon sister back from before I became a vegan and that was realy, really good).
What really put me off was the lousy service, you had to beg to be served and there was no friendliness.

Cons: Service

Yummy unique food - Edit

Had the Roasted Cauliflower which was great, the Warm Kale Salad which really didn't need the Chevre Cakes (gamey as always), the fantastic OM Burger w/vegan cheese maybe the best veg burger every, the yummy Spiced Root Vegetable Chips, and a fresh green drink (not sure of the name) which was way too bitter but I felt healthy drinking it. Overall, the food was great - a nice upscale veg experience.

Pros: great food, friendly, not your usual fare

Cons: expensive

Great food, decent prices, calm ambiance - Edit

I was just driving through and found this place on HC. So glad I stopped! Had the OM Burger and quinoa salad...it was maginificent :) $10 for the burger, they had vegan cheese. Loved the mason jar chandelier! Great experience, highly recommended.

good but pricey - Edit

i chose the OM burger which was salty but well made and the artisan roll was so toasted (dry) that i had to eat the sandwich with a knife & fork. the local roasted veg side was simple but flavorful in an unfiltered olive oil. dining companion had the farmhouse ragout that was truly an appetizer sized portion, missing the almonds, with only 5 chunks of tempeh. the hummus starter was awesome (can one say that about hummus?!). forty bucks for lunch is a little steep, but i will return, and encourage others to try it as well since it is a vegan/vegetarian, independently owned, locally sourced reataurant.

Pros: vegan, locally sourced , independently owned

Cons: pricey, portion size

Return to Charlotte Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fern Flavors from the Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7667 times since Oct 2011.