Fasika Ethiopian Restaurant

559-222-2801

4712 N Blackstone Ave, Fresno, California, USA, 93726

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional Ethiopian cuisine always includes spiced vegetable, lentil, and potato dishes. Here there's yellow split peas, brown lentils, mashed chickpeas, collard greens, and string beans. Vegetable entrees can be ordered individually or as part of a 4-entree combination platter served with injera bread. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Take-out, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by catbone

A Vegetarian and Vegan Flavor Paradise! - Edit

By the time Charles, Fasika's fabulous owner came to our table, my lunch partner and I had already perused the menu and decided we had no idea what to order. We had however, noticed the various combination sizes and knew that if we ordered the 4-item combo platter ($14.95-- what an amazing deal!), we could select 2 different dishes each to try! We were decidedly gratefully there was a "4-item" combo available instead of the usual maximum 3-item combo offered at most restaurants. I'd say that is the first important topic to report in this review.
The next important topic to note is that in addition to the first listings of Ethiopian cuisine on the menu, don't miss the Kenyan items offered towards the back of their large menu. They are equally worth consideration and every bit as delicious as their Ethiopian selections. On this visit, Charles described the differences in the flavor of their country's special Ethiopian Tosigne Green Tea. I have to say I'll definitely be ordering it again AFTER I try the Kimen Cinnamon Spice Tea that Charles also recommended.
As we were waiting for our beverages, we were excited to preselect some menu items for our combo that we were anxious to try, but still had no idea which ones to actually select. I think what I love most about Charles besides his amusing banter with us is the immense love of sharing his vast knowledge of food and the Ethiopian Culture. Along with this man's unending patience in answering all of our numerous questions (and silly quips which made him chuckle too), Charles helped confirm and guided our selections within our Vegetarian and Vegan desires.
I don't know which one I loved most, but our four selections consisted of the #1 Ethiopian Sambusas (appetizer), #5 Ethiopian Tekil Gomen (mild cabbage and potato entree), #6 Ethiopian Gomen (mild collard greens entree), and #34 Kenyan Ndegu (mung beans entree). These 4 fabulous items came beautifully displayed on a platter adorned with lovely rolls of injera bread (see photo). We had such a ball trying to balance our "scoops" of food on the injera bread and then attempting to eat it. There must be some kind of Ethiopian trick to consuming it all!
We had such a good time taking in all that Charles our waiter and "tour guide" presented us with that day. It's so exciting to have the time to bask in the warm invitation that is extended to every Fasika visitor who enters this magical place of good food and excellent hospitality. I strongly suspect the visitors who spend the time to get to know the exquisite menu and owner at Fasika, will fast become "regulars" here. Cheers to you and your adventuresome establishment, Charles!

Return to Fresno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fasika Ethiopian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.