Farang

Contact 09-4544212

Ainonkatu 3, Helsinki, Finland,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Contemporary Southeast Asian cuisine. Offers a few vegetarian and vegan dishes. Has a vegan tasting menu with around 8 dishes (ask for it), plus other lunch choices such as tempeh, tofu, and coconut curry. The decor of the restaurant is dark and the atmosphere is intimate. Mon-Fri 11:30am-1:30pm, Tue-Sat 5:00pm-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Asian, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by Poundie

Better than average, good Asian food - Edit

This place has such a hype & good reputation before it, but it's like seeing a fantastic movie trailer only to then watch the full film which is only "ok".

The food style is more focused on traditional Asian dishes. It's reputation is for being a fusion restaurant but I found little inspiration from Scandinavia on the plate & few ingredients - this was perhaps my largest gripe and disappointment so for the remainder of this review, I'll treat it like it is: an Asian restaurant.

The food is cooked beautifully which is why it has the Michelin star. Everything is presented fairly nicely on the plate & pleasing to the eye as well. As far as the tastes go though - they are what you'd expect... but nothing more. For example, one dish included a Thai green curry. If you follow a recipe at home & add all the ingredients perfectly, you'd end up with exactly the same taste. Rice is constantly on hand as a side (to take the place of bread in a more western restaurant & to fill you up throughout the meal) - this had no exciting cardamon, saffron etc. no colours or flavours. Was it cooked perfectly? Sure! Was it exciting and different to what you could do at home? Absolutely not. Consistency is important of course, but at a Michelin restaurant I personally want to be wowed by a chef who's been in the business for 20+ years picking up nuances and ideas as they go along - I want to experience surprises, combinations, views - above all I want to be inspired by something out of my league, to get new ideas & rush back home to play with something like what I've seen. In this sense, I was bitterly dissapointed also. Textures are played with, but only/mainly by the addition of "something crunchy" added to each plate.

I will give them credit for being vegan friendly - having a tasting menu I was able to enjoy as well as having a more relaxed atmosphere to many Michelin places (I could pour my own water & wasn't interuppted all the time by waiting staff). The staff were courteous, friendly, smiling and were able to describe the food nicely also. But... whilst I was served a vegan tasting menu, no-one could tell me if any of the wines were vegan to have with it. There was a mad dash I guess Internet search and eventual "I think this one is ok", but I would hope in future the place, especially now it has a star, can employ a decent sommelier. I was taken here as a present, so won't lookup or comment on the cost or whether this might be worth the money spent.

Pros: Well cooked food, Cheery staff, Location

Cons: Uninspiring, Unknowledgeable staff (drinks)

Fine Dining - Edit

Farang's Vegan tasting menu is expensive but worth it. If you just want to have something good, do not book a table here. But for special occasions and if you are willing to try the fireworks of flavours, go and try the tasting menu.

Pros: Delicious, Atmosphere, Vegan friendly

Cons: Expensive, Usually fully booked, Non-vegan restaurant

Vegan tasting menu was perfect - Edit

I went to Farang for my birthday and had the Vegetarian tasters menu. Entire menu wasn't only vegetarian but Vegan. Of course as pr most restaurants and menus, the menu must be ordered for the whole table. All of the following are vegan CHA PLU LEAF WITH TEMPEH, WOK FRIED CARROT AND CHESTNUTS (it's a main dish, and was my favorite, I want to go back and have it all to myself, the flavours were amazing!), HOLA HOLA- a dessert, MORNING GLORY, CRISPY FRIED SALT & PEPPER TOFU, GREEN CURRY ASPARAGUS . And of course say that you're vegan so the chefs can take extra care when preparing it. Friends have said that Farang is the best value for its quality, and I appreaciate that its the only real high end restaurant in helsinki that caters to vegetarians

Pros: Excellent food, Good value for a high end restaiurant, excellent service

Cons: Very busy on saturdays, must make reservations, could have more vegetarian options

Not for vegetarians - Edit

This is a trendy, very expensive restaurant, hard to find, with very few options for vegetarians. Add 5 cows if you are not a vegetarian. I trust the one or two items on the menu was good--but was so unbelievably expensive that I was reluctant to order such pricey food from a non-vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: might be good for meat eaters, might be good for millionaires

Cons: expensive, not geared for vegetarians

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Farang closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2121 times since Nov 2009.