CLOSED: Falafill

Contact 773-525-0052

3202 N Broadway, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60657

Serves meat, vegan options available. Previously all veg but no longer since winter 2012. Falafel eatery with a locations in the area. Menu includes falafel sandwiches, salads, sweet potato fries, potato fries, lentil soup, hummus, and mezze/toppings bar. REPORTED CLOSED, OCT 2016. Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Mediterranean, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by JulieV

vegetarian friendly, great value, good food - Edit

Great service, great falafill -crunchy outside, soft inside. Lots of toppings & sauces that are fresh. This time, I also tried the bowl which allows you to fill a lot more. But be careful, a bowl is really enough for 2 people, and the falafill is for 1-2.

Pros: value, vegetarian friendly, good variety

Unfull-a-filled - Edit

So I'm from the Middle East, where our #1 fast food is Falafel. Normally I would say a middle easterner getting falafel in the states, would be like a polar bear leaving the arctic for the Caribbean to look for ice. Yet, when I was in a major rush and this was the only vege place I could find, I figured why not give it a try. As falafel at its best is a divine fast food, I paid little attention to aesthetics and atmosphere. I think there are Four major factors to a great Falafel experience: The Falafel balls, The Salads (Quantity, diversity, quality, and authenticity), The Price, and the Pita. So lets go through em:
The Falafel Balls: Freshly made! Good crispy outside, but the inside was bland, uninspired and a little too gritty (when fresh, the inside of a good falafel should melt in your mouth)
The Salads: I like that they had quite a diversity of salads... too bad they weren't fresh though. The Tomato in the Jerusalem salad was beyond rotten and put a bad taste in my mouth which lasted an hour after eating it. Other salads also tasted on the verge. The selection was definitely varied, but done in a way which detracts from an authentic Falafel experience. One example would be that they have pickled ginger at the salad bar, yet not even one olive?!?! What's next? Falafel Sushi?
The Price: Come to about 6 bucks for a sandwich. Expensive compared to the Middle east (almost double.), but for America, it's pretty fair.
The Pita: Low quality, thin, average American Pita.
Overall, I would say, even though Falafill specializes in Falafel, their Falafels aren't so special. If you are in the neighborhood and need something quick or have a craving and are close by, than try it out, but dont go in expecting an authentic Middle Eastern falafel experience.

Pros: Quick, Diverse Salads

Cons: Bland Falafel, Salads not fresh, Not Authentic

Falafill - Edit

I'm a big fan of the Maoz chain and Falafill struck me as being very similar - it is in concept. I ate at this location back in January and was pleasantly surprised to find that they are a fully vegetarian restaurant, and they have many vegan options. I can't remember exactly what I put in my falafel wrap pocket (hummus, falafel, fava beans, etc.), but remembered it being average. It wasn't anything that made me want to return quickly (I haven't yet), but maybe I will give it another go since I see that they have a vegan curry aioli. Just a forewarning, parking is a nightmare in this area.

Super Tasty!! - Edit

I love love love falafill. They are totally vegetarian and care about the environment! Win Win!!! The food is delish. The falafel is fried to order so it's not waiting under a heat lamp for who knows how long. They offer regular and sweet potato fries, both are delicious. They also have amazing dipping sauces for your fries, curry aioli and spicy ketchup (VEGAN)! Yahoo! My only small gripes are you can only go up to the bar full of amazing sides once AND you have to pay extra for hummus in your falafel pitas BUT those are my only gripes and I would say they are fairly insignificant. Check them out!!!

Pros: delicious, healthy-ish, friendly for sure

Cons: a wee bit pricey , one time at the bar of sides, extra bucks for hummus

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Falafill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1081 times since May 2011.