Falafel TLV

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves fresh hummus, hummus with mushrooms, fresh falafel, falafel in pita bread, baba ghanoush salad, tabbouleh salad, sabih, fries and others. Est. as vegetarian and added meat to the menu in Jul 2017. Open Mon-Wed 9:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by ouikouik

Falafel TLV - Edit

Despite what seems to be a gushing review below by Shmulik who owns this place, I have some different opinions:-

a) On their facebook page they continue to categorise this establishment as "vegan/vegetarian". As highlighted by another reviewer, within a week of opening they added animal flesh to the menu. If they want to sell animal flesh that is entirely up to management there. However marketing this establishment in facebook (or anywhere else) as "vegetarian/vegan" is disingenuous and dissolves my trust. I pointed this out to them but nothing has changed

b) Again as said by another reviewer, it expensive for what you get in such a basic place. Portions aren't big. Cost quickly adds up. It's easy to beat a 118 hkd lunch set in HK.

c) I personally like falafel & humous generally. The food here is unremarkable though and defo not "amazinggg" as per what that original review would like people to believe

d) If you like food sourced locally this place is defo not for you. There's a high carbon footprint on food imported from the Middle East

There's plenty better places in short walking distance.

===
Update. I see the owner has posted a reply to my review. Since there doesn't seem to be an option to reply to that message, I will add an update here:

* All of my review is accurate. If the owner wishes to sell chicken that is up to him. As stated above though the facebook page for this restaurant classifies this restaurant as "vegetarian/vegan" (I will add a pic of a screenshot so you can see for yourself). That "vegetarian/vegan" claim is disingenuous since chicken is sold

* the food is expensive for what you get

* I generally like falafel and humous. The food here though is unremarkable. That doesn't mean it tastes bad it certainly though isn't anything special (and defo not "amazinggg")

* It's ironic the owner's reply to my review talks about "dishonest and not fair", "dishonest", & "be honest". The wording in the owner's original review states:

"Simple Restaurant with fresh food, Falafel was amazinggg the Hummus is Great as well, just added Falafel vegetarian Burger, many choices for Vegan community as well, have a dish of chicken but been told its cooked in seperate machines, a must try Falafel and Hummus"

Written in a manner by the owner to try to present his review as unrelated to the management of this business.

Updated from previous review on 2018-03-25

Cons: Disingenuous advertising, Overpriced, Unremarkable food with high carbon footprint

shmulik71 25 Mar 2018 - Indeed im the owner, to answer your issues, i believe your review is dishonest and not fair, if i remember correctly we met long time ago and you tried to convince me to go chicken free, i told you this is hong kong and expenses are high, now regarding our place, yes we keep the place simple but unlike many other places in hong kong we import most of our ingridients and we make all food fresh daily, i save on the place but not on the quality of the food, 80% of our dishes are Vegan/ Vegetarian and remaining is only chicken which i guarntee you we cook in seperate cooking machines then the vegan/vegetarian machines, now the fact that i have some chicken in my restaurant does not mean that you need to be dishonest and try to talk bad about our business, i just wonder when i still doubting about chicken you liked our food now when you see we have chicken so its not good at all??? At least be honest, dont try to do your war on our back

falafel tlv - Edit

i visited the eatery during dinnertime on 22 june 2017, about a week into its opening.

the meal wasn't well presented - it was served in a paper bag on a dish - but i enjoyed it despite its, to me, rather hefty price tag (falafel in pita hkd75, a rather blah lemonana hkd 25, plus 10% service charge), especially as i kept discovering different tastes/textures as i bit through the pita - falafel, hummus, sauerkraut, etc.

"well, it's central; rent are high - much as i'd like to, i'll just not be able to patronise it as often as my budget allows", i thought.

the boss was friendly and hospitable the moment i entered and was eager for my opinion (i felt the pita could have been warmer/crispier and he said that could be prepared that way if so requested), and showed me the produce available for sale (sauerkraut, za'atar, etc). from what i was told, they can also cater to jains and those who don't eat onion/garlic, though advance notice is recommended in case supplies run out.

i'm very disappointed to learn that just a month later it has flip-flopped from its initial stance as a vegetarian restaurant to an omnivorous one selling chicken schnitzels (if chickens don't sell well, what next?) - albeit using separate cookware for veg/non-veg meals.

this change of stance was not announced on the restaurant's facebook page and i only knew about it when a friend forwarded me this article:

it's not my place to question the management's decision, especially in HK's cut-throat business environment, but the fact that it now serves slaughtered chickens when it initially marketed itself as a purely vegetarian eatery, and still seemingly has no official announcement of this about-turn on its facebook page (where as of 27 aug 2017 it still goes by the name of "Hummus Falafel Vegetarian HK") - bumps it off my must-visit radar the next time i'm in central.

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-23

Pros: friendly boss, delicious falafel pita

Cons: serves dead chickens, disposable utensils despite dining in, presentation can be improved

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Falafel TLV closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.