Falafel TLV

• ( 5 reviews )

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves fresh hummus, hummus with mushrooms, fresh falafel, falafel in pita bread, baba ghanoush salad, tabbouleh salad, sabih, fries and others. Est. as vegetarian and added meat to the menu in Jul 2017.
Note December 2021: Restaurants in Hong Kong may have limited hours or limited seating due to Covid-19 restrictions, call ahead. Open Mon-Wed 9:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Middle Eastern, Israeli, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

annakwanlol

Points +88

11 Jun 2021

Oh my 😍🀀

When it says β€œ best falafel and hummus in hk” best believe it. I had their pita sandwich πŸ₯™ 2 weeks ago and am still thinking about it…
The pita is warm, pillowy and holds the fillings perfectly
There are 5 falafels in the sand which for $78HKD which is honestly a steal βœ¨πŸ‘ŒπŸ» so crunchy yet not oily at all!
We ordered the hummus and falafel plate too, which we enjoyed ( quite large portion so could be a main/ a sharing dish) and came with a pita too.

The hot sauce elevated the sand which to the next level so if you like spice pls try it!!
Welcoming and friendly staff- quite a few vegan options and cosy seating area.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Delicious, authentic Quality food , Friendly staff

Cons: Cant get it out of my mind- u’ll get addicted ;)

EitanGoldstein

Points +30

16 Jul 2019

Tasty falafel balls and hummus but...

Its not any place for a date or impressive or stylish scene.
Not anything fancy when it comes to restaurants. In fact it is quite basic. Plastic chairs, small 2 seater tables, cramped area. Much of the presentation (cutlery and toothpicks exposed on each table for everyone's hands to pick, messy, small, dark kitchen, wires and aircons exposed and not neat) leaves a doubt to its hygiene (this is a restaurant and rightfully charges restaurant pricing - they should ensure a spotless area, decent music, no doubt to the hygiene, visible kitchen, tidy and with clean and modern equipment and impeccable staff service.).
Every song played on the music system was vulgar and full of swearing and body parts.
I had the set menu which included a pita that was smaller than any I have had in Israel, falafel balls were not bad at all, no salad filling selection as there would be in israel - there is a set standard salad fill by the cook. The hummus was good. I got a can of drink given (not that I like a glass but this is what is expected in any class of restaurant - this is not a takeout). Tehina came in a bottle but was way too diluted. The dessert was given to me having specified that I am vegan and this being acknowledged by the waitress, the dessert was dairy and just happy I questioned this.
This restaurant is certainly not vegan and should never be marketed as such. The fact that falafel is a vegan meal does not mean anything. There is chicken on the menu.
118hkd is expensive for the meal (this is 60khd in tel aviv - where i can even taste a falafel ball to see if its nice for free and get nearly bottomless salads of my choice in bigger pitas) however knowing HK the prices here are in this region. I agree with saying it is higher than it should be though.
I really do appreciate the fact that they have this as an option here because Falafel is probably the food I miss most from living in Israel. I do however, believe I could do better myself but since I don't care to deal with dissatisfied customers like myself, I wont try and I do thank them for being here and serving what they do.
Rate them 2 stars for location, food taste and that they serve my favorite food.

Pros: They serve falafel and hummus that is tasty

Cons: Everything else that one would expect of a, restaurant. They serve meat. Expensive, compared to what is served. Service fair to poor

LozWong

Points +165

07 Jul 2019

Decent spot for falafel/hummus

I usually go here for pita, falafel and/or hummus with chips (I ask for them without salt), and the quality has been consistent. Staff assure that all of the above are vegan.

Pros: Decent pita, falafel and hummus

Cons: Not the cheapest, Feels a bit "junk foody"

Stevie

Points +11753

Falafel TLV

Despite what seems to be a gushing review below by Shmulik who owns this place, I have some different opinions:-

a) On their facebook page they continue to categorise this establishment as "vegan/vegetarian". As highlighted by another reviewer, within a week of opening they added animal flesh to the menu. If they want to sell animal flesh that is entirely up to management there. However marketing this establishment in facebook (or anywhere else) as "vegetarian/vegan" is disingenuous and dissolves my trust. I pointed this out to them but nothing has changed

b) Again as said by another reviewer, it expensive for what you get in such a basic place. Portions aren't big (I had to order extra when I went). Cost quickly adds up. It's easy to beat a 118 hkd lunch set in HK.

c) I personally like falafel & humous generally. The food here is unremarkable though and defo not "amazinggg" as per what that original review would like people to believe

d) If you like food sourced locally this place is defo not for you. There's a high carbon footprint on food imported from the Middle East

There's plenty better places in short walking distance.

===
Update. I see the owner has posted a reply to my review. Since there doesn't seem to be an option to reply to that message, I will add an update here:

* All of my review is accurate. If the owner wishes to sell chicken that is up to him. As stated above though the facebook page for this restaurant classifies this restaurant as "vegetarian/vegan" (I will add a pic of a screenshot so you can see for yourself). That "vegetarian/vegan" claim is disingenuous since chicken is sold

* the food is expensive for what you get

* I generally like falafel and humous. The food here though is unremarkable. That doesn't mean it tastes bad it certainly though isn't anything special (and defo not "amazinggg")

* It's ironic the owner's reply to my review talks about "dishonest and not fair", "dishonest", & "be honest". The wording in the owner's original review states:

"Simple Restaurant with fresh food, Falafel was amazinggg the Hummus is Great as well, just added Falafel vegetarian Burger, many choices for Vegan community as well, have a dish of chicken but been told its cooked in seperate machines, a must try Falafel and Hummus"

Written in a manner by the owner to try to present his review as unrelated to the management of this business.

Updated from previous review on 2018-07-03

Cons: Disingenuous advertising, Overpriced, Unremarkable food with high carbon footprint

shmulik71

25 Mar 2018

Indeed im the owner, to answer your issues, i believe your review is dishonest and not fair, if i remember correctly we met long time ago and you tried to convince me to go chicken free, i told you this is hong kong and expenses are high, now regarding our place, yes we keep the place simple but unlike many other places in hong kong we import most of our ingridients and we make all food fresh daily, i save on the place but not on the quality of the food, 80% of our dishes are Vegan/ Vegetarian and remaining is only chicken which i guarntee you we cook in seperate cooking machines then the vegan/vegetarian machines, now the fact that i have some chicken in my restaurant does not mean that you need to be dishonest and try to talk bad about our business, i just wonder when i still doubting about chicken you liked our food now when you see we have chicken so its not good at all??? At least be honest, dont try to do your war on our back

Ashni

29 Dec 2018

Hi Stevie, I think the facebook page now appears to be accurate - i.e. it does not list the restaurant as vegan/vegetarian: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Falafeltlv/about/?ref=page_internal

Stevie

Hi Ashni,

Thanks for your reply. I'll still keep the review as is. That way anyone reading it can decide for themselves if they wish to support a place managed by someone with history of seeking to mislead people. Hopefully going forward from this they will adopt a more honest approach both in how he promotes his business and also on how he tries to rig reviews.

Guest

27 Aug 2017

falafel tlv

i visited the eatery during dinnertime on 22 june 2017, about a week into its opening.

the meal wasn't well presented - it was served in a paper bag on a dish - but i enjoyed it despite its, to me, rather hefty price tag (falafel in pita hkd75, a rather blah lemonana hkd 25, plus 10% service charge), especially as i kept discovering different tastes/textures as i bit through the pita - falafel, hummus, sauerkraut, etc.

"well, it's central; rent are high - much as i'd like to, i'll just not be able to patronise it as often as my budget allows", i thought.

the boss was friendly and hospitable the moment i entered and was eager for my opinion (i felt the pita could have been warmer/crispier and he said that could be prepared that way if so requested), and showed me the produce available for sale (sauerkraut, za'atar, etc). from what i was told, they can also cater to jains and those who don't eat onion/garlic, though advance notice is recommended in case supplies run out.

i'm very disappointed to learn that just a month later it has flip-flopped from its initial stance as a vegetarian restaurant to an omnivorous one selling chicken schnitzels (if chickens don't sell well, what next?) - albeit using separate cookware for veg/non-veg meals.

this change of stance was not announced on the restaurant's facebook page and i only knew about it when a friend forwarded me this article:

it's not my place to question the management's decision, especially in HK's cut-throat business environment, but the fact that it now serves slaughtered chickens when it initially marketed itself as a purely vegetarian eatery, and still seemingly has no official announcement of this about-turn on its facebook page (where as of 27 aug 2017 it still goes by the name of "Hummus Falafel Vegetarian HK") - bumps it off my must-visit radar the next time i'm in central.

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-23

Pros: friendly boss, delicious falafel pita

Cons: serves dead chickens, disposable utensils despite dining in, presentation can be improved

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Falafel TLV closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.