First Review by vanessamcc

Best falafel in Antwerp!!! - Edit

We were here on a Sunday, actually because a lot of vegan-friendly restaurants in Antwerp are closed on Sundays (yeah, really!). And I'm so happy we gave it a chance. The very friendly owner knew immediately what vegan was about and he suggested that we took the warm and cold mezze's with falafel for 2. We got olives and jalapeños from the house while waiting. The food was there very fast and it seemed that he didn't stop bringing cups filled with the most delicious Lebanese food. I think we had 20 different small dishes on the table. My first thought when I saw on the menu we only got 6 balls of falafel each, was that it was not enough, but boy, I was wrong! The falafels were very big, topped with a delicious creamy (vegan) tahinsauce. And they didn't got chewy or dry which falafel sometimes intends to do after cooling down. 1 dish was with aubergine and yoghurtsauce, but that was clearly mentioned and my husband who still eats milkproducts, liked it very much. Although we really wanted, we could not finish everything, we were totally stuffed (so that's how a christmas turkey must feel). But no problem, no need to waste, as the owner asked if we wanted him to wrap it to take it with us. The only minor was that they use a lot of oil in some dishes. But it was still very, very tastefull.
Afterwards we got fresh mint tea from the house. We only paid 35€ for the both of us, including drinks. And it actually was food for 2 days :-) I think we have found us a new address and I will definitely reccommend this place!

Pros: Good value for good food!, Best falafel, I can't say it enough :-), Very kind owner

Cons: In some dishes too much oil, We could not eat everything!

Amazing ! - Edit

We asked the owner for his top three suggestions and he said any of the vegetarian stuff is great. They serve meat only to accommodate, not necessarily because they want to.

On his recommendation, we took small dishes of everything that was vegan. About 10 bowls of awesomeness was on our table in short order.

Three of us feasted till we couldn't do another bite for 40 Euro.

Pros: Great food, great value, nice owner

Cons: No cons

Tasty, friendly, informal - Edit

This place must have opened recently because I am local and only just came across it with a group of friends. The location is great -right in the heart of the old town, not far from the cathedral so if you are visiting as a tourist it is easy to find. Hoogstraat is a nice place to hang out for drinks afterwards, for both locals and visitors, having quite a few bars along that stretch.

The food served is vegetarian Lebanese tapas style dishes (hot or cold), so it is great for a group of friends on a budget. Each tapas dish is about 5 euros. There are some larger dishes, priced at about 12 euros, and of course, falafel. It is served with Lebanese flat bread and many of the dishes are vegan.

The food was really tasty, attractively prepared and the service was efficient and friendly. The ingredients are fresh and you can see the area where the cook works, as it is small and open-plan. The manager speaks good English and clearly takes pride in his food and is happy to tell you about it. The atmosphere is friendly, unpretentious and informal, and there is some seating outside too.

Return to Antwerpen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Falafel Shami closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.