First Review by hack_man

The sauce, the sauce - Edit

First of all: This falafel stall is not there every day. If you're unlucky, you can get very good falafel at King of Falafel, just around the corner in Urbanstr. 67, or at the sudanese restaurant NIL on Weserstr./Reuterstr.

Next thing: The sauce is vegan. When I asked if it contains yoghurt, he answered: "No, it's sesame sauce. It's vegan" (I guess it's not the first time someone asked)

They serve decent falafel for a decent price, but then there's dozens of snack bars in Berlin doing the same, so it's not worth it to drive all the way to there just for a falafel.

Falafel, falafel. - Edit

The first review for this place made me curious so I went by last week to try out the falafel sandwich. Stupidly, I simply relied on hack-man's review saying it's all vegan apart from the cheese so I didn't ask about what sauce was going to be used - the falafel definitely didn't come with a vegan sauce. I'm very sure it was yoghurt sauce (it was dark so I could only taste, not see^^). Next time I will ask for some hummus instead of sauce.
Apart from that, something in the sandwich was too salty for my taste.
They also do proper dishes to eat at their stall such as a hummus plate which I might try out next - but not without making sure it's vegan.
Over all, it's really cool that there is a totally vegetarian falafel stall, especially in Neukölln. The owner is a very friendly man aswell. I will go there again.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, vegan options not clearly marked as such

2 Responses

DonnaC 17 Sep 2012 - I have also been here and there are definitely vegan sauces available, absolutely 100%. Maybe they do have a yoghurt sauce and halloumi cheese if you want it but the owner will help you with your choice if you ask. I would never put a sauce on my falafel without double checking what it is first. The sauce I had was tahini which of course is made from sesame and is vegan.

hack_man 22 Feb 2013 - To Wildfang: Hi, glad you found Falafel Jenien based on my review. I'm sorry the sauce may not have been vegan. From what I can remember the owner told us it was sesame butter (tahini) which of course is vegan. Maybe it was in your case, or it might have been a different sauce. It's certainly something to be sure about next time. Can't believe how many more vegeterian & vegan places have opened since I was last in Berlin in August 2010. Best wishes, hack_man

Unexpected Find - Edit

Found this place completely by chance on the way to Hermannplatz to get the bus connection after coming back from an unfortunately closed Cafe Vux a few stops away on the U-bahn. This very friendly place operates in the Hermannplatz Wochenmarkt (Tues to Fri) and offers Falafel sandwiches with salad and sauce for only €2. Cold drinks are €1. We were given a free falafel sample whilst waiting for the sandwich to be made which was a nice touch. You can stand next to the van and eat at the high tables or take a seat in the market area if the weather is good. It's 100% veggie and apart from offering Haloumi cheese would have been completely vegan. Definitely worth a visit if you like your falafel.

Pros: tasty falafel, price, friendly

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Falafel Jenien closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.