Falafel House

• Veg-friendly
Contact 212-2537730

Sehit Muhtar Cad. 19/1 A (at Telimhane/Taksim), Istanbul, Turkey,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Falafel meals, sandwiches, salad, humus, and other Middle Eastern dishes depending on the day. Open Mon-Sun until late.

Category: Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Turkish, Non-veg

First Review by Pasha

Cheap, fast, filling - Edit

We ate here a few times over the weeks we were in Istanbul, so that says something. It was our go-to when we just needed a quick meal. We got falafel wraps and at 7 TL, this was a bargain. Is it the best falafel I've ever had? Not at all. But it was always open we we needed, always friendly and clean (we only ever sat outside), the ingredients were fresh (we watched them prepare our food from our table, looking in through the front window) and the price was right.

Pros: Fast and cheap, Healthy and filling

Cons: Not the best falafel in the world, ok?

Eat here only if there is no other option - Edit

This place looks quite shabby and not so clean, but the falafel and the side dishes are decent. I used to come here more often, but ever since seeing meat and chicken on the same counter as they are preparing the falafels, I cannot visit this place anymore.

So if you are almost starving and there is nothing else you can eat around, you can choose to try their falafels and their tabboulleh.

Pros: location, the food is filing

Cons: serves meat and chicken, shabby and (sometimes) not so clean looking

Worst falafel in the city - Edit

In addition to the titular falafel, which you can get in a platter, or a wrap, they also serve chicken nuggets(!) The quality of the falafel is quite bad, I really wish they would improve the recipe. It tastes mostly of baking soda. The only good thing about my meals have been the hot sauce. Even the tahini sauce is watery. I think the owner's son is there sometimes and he speaks English and is very friendly, but otherwise the servers are indifferent and rude. Avoid! [edit by staff] I have been here several times, each time hoping they might have improved. Out of desperation mostly, since they are the only veggie option in the area.

Pros: Location, Outdoor seating

Cons: Indifferent staff, Tasteless falafel

Average - Edit

It's an OK place for falafel in the city centre, but just so-so. Also, the fact that there is a quantity of meaty stuff on the menu is a bit off-putting. If you are near the other end of Istiklal street, the all-veg Kikero falafel is a better option, although it's not open as late and the menu is slightly more limited.

Pros: Good location, open late, Reasonable prices

Cons: Meat dishes, Average falafel, Food doesn't feel especially healthy

Okay felafel. - Edit

Honestly, not the best felafel I've ever had, and I've had felafel all over the middle east. Slightly bland and too moist and the vegetables are limited in selection. Prices are a little high for my liking, too. If you're stuck in the Taksim area and need food it's certainly passable, though, and my standard for felafel are admittedly pretty high.

Pros: Good location

Cons: So-so food, A little pricey in my opinion.

Great place, close to the city center - Edit

Falafel house was one of the first restaurants in Istanbul to offer Falafel, and remains the best :) It is located very close to Taksim square and is open late. The vegetables are always very fresh, and they prepare the falafel while you wait (rather than letting them sit around) so be prepared to sit for a few minutes. Lovely fresh orange juice, and I would recommend the meal with tabbouli and hummous! The atmosphere is average.
A note to the reviewers who got sick-- I am so sorry to hear that-- I think maybe you went on a bad day, because I used to live on the next block, ate there all the time, and never had a problem :)

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Moderate prices

Best Vegan Food We Found in Istanbul - Edit

This small Falafel cafe served the best Vegan food we found during our stay in Istanbul, really tasty stuff. The staff are friendly and speak a good amount of English. You can watch as they make the food and make changes to each order so you can avoid the mysterious white sauce that gets dangerously close to each pitta.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly staff, Cheap

Cons: Near Taksim Square (hell on earth), Limited seating

Delicious - Edit

Everyone who likes falafel and are in İstanbul must come to Falafel House. They have the most delicious falafel I have ever tasted.

Pros: Nice staff, Lovely falafel, Both inside & outeside seeting

Return to Istanbul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Falafel House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2835 times since Jan 2008.