CLOSED: Falafel

• Veg-friendly

Heugasse 1 (at Jesuitenkirche), Heidelberg, Germany, 69117

Serves meat, vegan options available. Most menu items can be made vegan by omitting cheese and yoghurt sauce. Knowledgeable staff. In addition to falafel, also has hummus and baba ganoush. Small seating area with large tables, casual atmosphere. JAN 2016 REPORTED CLOSED, REPLACED BY Mahmoud's.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by hecateluna

Best falafel in the region - Edit

The falafel are crispy and tasty. Some of the staff have a weird sense of humour, but all are good willed. As has been said before you can have a vegan falafel, but there is also plenty of choice of other ingredients, like Baba Ghanoush (grilled aubergine paste) and other additional sauces/pastes that can spice up your falafel. They know well which ones are vegan and can tell you.

If you have some time, I do really recommend sitting down and having a falafel plate. It's a beautiful place and you'll get free tea. There is some sitting outside in one of the beautiful cobble stone alleys.

Pros: tasty, crispy, variety, not expensive, nice flair

gute Falafel vegan, ohne Käse! - Edit

This is some great falafel, a little mintier and more home-cooked than a lot of the fast-food variety. They serve a "falafel vay-gahn" = vegan falafel. It was really awesome and we were eating this once a week while students there, until one day there were pieces of feta in my falafel. Then I had to take a break.... but really, just remind them: VAY-GAHN. :)

Pros: falafel vegan, mint, free tea

Cons: feta

Excellent falafel - Edit

I'm a great fan of falafel. I make them myself from scratch, I eat them nearly everywhere I go. The falafel at this place are really excellent most of the time. (I go there often, there were one or two times when they weren't as good as usual).
I usually order the special plate and ask them to make it vegan. They know what it means, it's absolutely no problem for them but sometimes they are a little disorganized and forget that you ordered vegan food and put halloumi cheese and yoghurt sauce on it. So it's probably better to keep an eye on your food while it's being prepared just to make sure you don't need to wait for it to be prepared a second time.
The soups were also vegan last time we checked (not sure if they always use the same recipe/noodles, so better ask to verify).

Pros: excellent falafel

Cons: service sometimes a little slow

Delicious, vegan-friendly fast food. - Edit

Good, fast, delicious falafel, with quality ingredients. The staff know what "vegan" means (if you ask in German, anyway). The lettuce, parsley, and mint seems much fresher than one would expect for fast food. The food seems much more authentic than I have come to expect in Germany (though I'm far from an expert here). The atmosphere in the restaurant is warm and inviting.

Serving size is a bit small, but fair for the price (3€ for a vegan falafel wrap--enough food for a complete small meal, not enough if you're very hungry).

Pros: fresh, delicious, friendly staff

Cons: slightly small portions

Return to Heidelberg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Falafel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1304 times since Dec 2011.