Falafel Garden

Contact 0757121856

Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan, 606-8205

Serves meat, vegan options available. Moved from 13-2 Minami-machi, Higashi Muko in Apr 2014. Same Israeli food menu, in Japanese and English, offering falafel, hummus, and Middle Eastern food. Veg items are marked. Separate smoking/non-smoking areas. Last order 30 minutes before closing. Directions: 80m north of the Eiden line exit of Keihan Demachiyanagi station. Address 京都市, 左京区田中上柳町15-2.

Category: Middle Eastern, Israeli, Non-veg

First Review by Marenka

very tasty! - Edit

takeout falafel from here was best I've ever had. really liked the ethos of the owner and staff judging by the posters on the wall calling for peace, no to gmo foods and other vital causes

one of our faves - Edit

Always consistent with taste and freshness. We eat here a lot because it's reasonably priced, lovely cozy seating, friendly service, and the only falafel spot we know of in Kyoto. Portions are a bit small so we tend to add some side dishes like extra hummus, fries and baklava. Lots of veggie options.

Pros: taste, quality, cozy

Cons: small-ish portions, a bit far from everything

Absolutely delicious - Edit

You can sit by the window and watch the sakura on the oposite street. Has a separate Vegan Menu. Take-out available. Not your typical veg options, so it's an interesting and delicious experience.

Pros: Clear and separate veg menú, Friendly staff, Cozy

Cons: Serves Meat

Yummy - Edit

This place was pretty funny: a Middle Eastern restaurant, playing Hindi chant and what I can only describe as "cosmic accordion" music, staffed and frequented almost entirely by Japanese people... It cracked me up. That being said, I had a very good meal here for a reasonable amount of money. I especially liked how you could order the pita sandwiches in different sizes, depending on how hungry you are. Definitely worth a visit if you're up in Demachiyanagi.

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked, Filling, Dish names translated into English

Good falafel! - Edit

One of few vege friendly places open on a Sunday. Went recently and enjoyed falafels, pita and baba ghanoush. Pricing quite reasonable compared to other "western" options. Comfortable environment including reclining tables as an option. Recommended! Bigger portions than many restaurants in Japan, but smaller than western servings.

Good Food, Hard Location, Many Options - Edit

Compared to Australia the serving size is a bit on the small side, still very filling. The falafel option was very good with a nice sauce. Minimal English spoken by some of the Japanese staff, menu in English. I got along fine knowing zero Japanese.

Pros: Filling, Tastes Good

Cons: Not Absolutely Easy To Find

Try not to get lost walking down Hiei-zan... - Edit

...but if you do, come here for tasty big plates of falafel, fluffy pita,creamy hummus, garlicy baba ganoush, ice cream and beer afterward. Staff delightful, food delicious, good atmosphere. Even an interesting toilet. Close to Demachiyanagi station and the best choice in that area now (sadly) Cafe Proverbs has shut. Also has choices for omnivores, mine was delighted by his schnitzi after spending hours searching for nonexistent trails down the holy mountain.

Pros: Delicious food, Something for everyone, Can sit outside

Delicious Falafel - Edit

I've been going to Falafel Garden at least once a week for the past month, and I'm never disappointed. Their falafel pita is outstanding, certainly some of the best I've ever had (try it with a side of green chili). They also have take away, including frozen precooked falafel.
Beautiful space and friendly staff. I highly recommend it.
Menu has English translation

Pros: Best falafel ever, easy access, efficient, friendly service

Cons: serves meat

Best Pitas I've Ever Had - Edit

I eat baba ganouj pitas frequently, as they're a commonly vegan item, but I have never encountered baba ganouj so delicious. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful, and it's on such a quiet little street. It was also within walking distance of the guesthouse I was staying at, so I went almost every day I was in Kyoto. I could eat two pitas (baba ganouj, humous and falafel are all vegan), and a soy banana milkshake and then go back to the guest house and sleep like a baby. Love how their vegan options are clearly marked - special thing to find in Japan, where vegetarianism is uncommon. The owner is really nice and friendly, but some of the staff are pretty formal and distant. This is not uncommon for Japanese culture, but it was a stark contrast to the very friendly and open owner.

Pros: Great food, Beautiful atmosphere, Cute, quiet street

Cons: Serve meat, Some staff distant or awkward

Delicious option to diversify your diet - Edit

After Falafel Garden changed it's location the place is much roomier. They have normal tables and japanese-style seats. the food is delicious and not too expensive. I wouldn't recommend to take the "Falafel plate" because they served me everything what is also inside a normal falafel, but it's much more expensive. I haven't been there while there where smokers, but I was told when people smoke downstairs, the non-smoking area upstairs will also be smoky.

Pros: Price is reasonable (esp. 2 pita-choice), nice ambience

Cons: serves meat, some dishes are too expensive

:) - Edit

Nice place and delicious falafels. For a change, it was wonderful to have a protein source in Japan that's not soy. A good-sized lunch meal for a good price (around 1000 yen for a pita falafel and french fries).

Main dishes are clearly marked if they are vegan, and there are many options. Others such as desserts aren't marked, so ask the staff about it. I accidentally ate dairy cream on top of a soy pudding because I didn't realize that everything is not vegan.

Pros: tasty falafels, menu marked for vegan dishes, reasonable price

Cons: serves meat and dairy

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Falafel Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2776 times since Apr 2011.