First Review by

Tasty falafel, poor salad - Edit

This falafel restaurant is located close to Andrássy út, so it is very convenient to stop there for lunch while exploring this part of the city. The place is very small and it was a bit crowded when I visited, but service was friendly and the staff spoke English. I ordered the falafel burger and a salad, however, the falafel alone would have been a better choice. It was so HUGE I couldn't even finish it, and it tasted very well. However, the salad was really boring and bland. You mix your own salad at a counter, which is great, but afterwards I didn't like it at all - it was totally tasteless. So my advice is: Concentrate on the great falafel and leave out the salad bar!

I had my meal upstairs and the room looked really nice, old-fashioned and a bit quirky.

Pros: Good location , Great falafel, Cheap prices

Cons: I didn't like the salad

Very tasty! - Edit

Despite us knowing no Hungarian and the staff knowing no English we managed to order a halloumi salad plate which came with pitta and a self service salad bowl. The self service salad is by far the best thing as its amazing and falafel was one of the things you could help yourself to. The salad that came with the halloumi was much more standard so would probably not get it again and just get self-service.

Pros: Cheap, filling and tasty, Self service salad bar!, Good atmosphere

Cons: No English spoken but on blackboard.

Not veg, but still tasty! - Edit

Living in Easter Europe (I'm from Krakow, Poland) I have come to expect the lack of totally meat-free establishments. This place does serve a little meat, but i enjoyed falafel, fried tofu, and other veg delights. The self-serve salad bar is amazing! When we went, we ordered the Pita: they give you the empty pita and you go to the salad bar and fill it up--WOW! SOO many salads and toppings. I got hummus and several shredded salads stuffed into my pita before enjoying it. And the price was quite reasonable. I will come back everytime i visit Budapest!!!!

Pros: huge salad variety, many veg options

Cons: tiny/litte seating

This place is called Falafel Faloda - Edit

For a vegan place in Budapest it's pretty good. There's a huge selection of self service salads and only a few contain dairy products. Most of then are exotic and delicious.
It's open from 10 am - 8 pm on Mon-Friday. Closed on Sat. and Sunday and it usually closes down for a few weeks in the summer.

Pros: Good salads, Central location, Stuff your own pita

Cons: Closed on the weekend, Small sitting area

Great for a quick lunch - Edit

Busy little place - we chose self service salad, with a wide range of choices, dressings etc. You can choose a small or large bowl to fill yourself. Salad selection included cabbage, lettuce, Greek salad, tzatziki, cold vegetables including carrot, peas and Brussels sprouts, hard boiled eggs, lentils, couscous and green beans. Oh, and falafel of course!

To eat in you have to stand downstairs at a little bar or carry your food up some steep wooden steps to a small eating area upstairs.

We found it great for a quick lunch on our last day.

Pros: Choice

Cons: Stairs

just okay - Edit

I might of come on an off day but I got a pretty chilly reception from the staff there. It felt like I had walked into a women's prison. Most of the Hungarians I'd met during my trip had been very warm and friendly but not the folks at Falafel.

On the plus side, the food was cheap and filling. Not the best falafel in Budapest by a long shot but if you're in the area, it's just okay.

Pros: cheap

Cons: cold staff

Falafel - Edit

I went on a Saturday and it was closed. I think it is usually open 7 days a week so I suppose it must have been closed because it was a a holiday weekend.

Hummus bar is just around the corner.

:( - Edit

It's not a vegetarian restaurant anymore.
They have several foods made from dead animals.
Very sad :((

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Falafel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3449 times since Aug 2007.