First Review by brinnet

convenient to Vatican - Edit

We stopped in for lunch before our Vatican tour as it was very close by. The place was busy, but the owner, who spoke excellent English, took time with each customer while not ignoring anyone else either. He explained the vegan options to us and we just let him go for it. Everything was made to order, so it takes a little more time, but was worth it. We got the seitan sandwich, olive tofu sandwich and a mixed salad along with a juice. All tasty on nice thick bread which was a nice change from all the pasta. It's a small place, but we were able to sit at a counter to eat. Go if you're in the area.

Pros: good vegan options, nice owner

Cons: serves meat and dairy

great food on the go - Edit

Yes it's small but if you find it quiet and grab a seat or happy to have a picnic you should go here. They have a few vegan sandwiches on the menu. I got the seitan salad and it tasted great. They went to a real effort to make it interesting. Also do nice smoothies and it's great value too!

Pros: good food on the go, close to Vatican City , reasonably priced

Cons: small space

Good for those easily satisfied. - Edit

The first thing you notice increadibly tiny this location is. Basicaly - if you're more than two people, don't go, unless you're just planing to grab a coffe or some take-away. The Vegan selection was limited and mediocre, and the food wasn't exactly what I'd call overwhealming. Basically the only things the place had going for itself was the low prices and it's location, and unless you have another option, I'd recomend finding another place to get some food, for grubs to go it is allright.
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 01, 2015

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 01, 2015

Pros: imediate proximity to the Vatican., Inexpensive.

Cons: Absolutely to small., Very limited vegan selection.

very good, near Vatican City - Edit

If you are looking for something good to eat and are in Vatican City or nearby, try this place. It's very small and has no more than 7 places inside, and I must also say that during lunch time you will ALWAYS have to wait because a lot of people will be there... But the owner and his assistant are as quick as possible and smoothies and breads with vegetables, seitan, tofuor whatever you want are really tasty!

Close to Vatican - Edit

Huge selection of fresh fruits and veggies. They offered us creative concoctions for vegan sandwiches. One of us left it up to them and one of us chose our own ingredients. Both were delicious. They offer pasta, sandwiches (breads or baguettes), salads, fresh juices, fresh smoothies... and they sell amazing packaged (yet fresh) vegan berry torts. We bought more to take back to our hotel. All in all, very kind and helpful staff. Very reasonably priced. Wish they had another location near our hotel.

Pros: Vegan Choices, Vegan Knowledgable, Vegan

Cons: Limited Seating

Great Cafe - Edit

This place is a great place to eat at after eating pizza and pasta for days in Rome. It's a nice healthy break to eat fresh fruits, salads, and drink fresh squeezed juice. They use organic and local ingredients, and you can tell the quality is good. It's also nice that they have vegan treats available. Overall, I enjoyed the food, especially the fresh fruit, veg, and juice options. Besides customizing your own juice, you can also customize your own sandwiches, too, if you'd like. They have a great selection of bread and spreads to choose from.

Pros: Organic, local, and seasonal food., Good value., Friendly staff.

Cons: Limited seating.

Must visit - Edit

We visited Fa bio at noon before the trip to the nearby museum. The owner spoke good English and was hospitable. If you plan to visit a scenic spot in the nearby region, I recommend to enjoy lunch in Fa bio.

Pros: Healthy food, Good salad

Great little place near Vatican - Edit

Fa bio is a great little place to stop by given the relative lack of vegan-friendly fare in Rome. It's also only a block off of the tourist migratory path to check out the Vatican. I'm vegan and tried their seitan with peas (decent, not amazing) and a seitan wrap (good, not great). They also had quinoa and salads that looked refreshing and the ability to make sandwiches (with vegan spread, so it won't be super dry!)

Importantly, Fabio (one of the two owners of Fa Bio) understood the concept of veganism immediately and pointed out my options -- and he was very friendly and speaks English well.

I went by around 6:00pm and they had actually run out of quinoa and low in bread -- it's a small establishment -- but still enough to fill my belly. And I grabbed a packaged vegan mini pie and chocolate cookies from their shelves for my flight back home. Saw some soy milk on the shelves, too, if you need something to splash in all those coffees you're grabbing out and about.

Last thought -- it's a narrow space with counter seating for three and a non-offensive atmosphere (they also serve some meat options, so non-veg family can grab lunch/din there, too.

Bottom line: Worth a visit if you're in the Vatican area and hungry :)

Happy munching!

Pros: Close to Vatican, Vegan-Friendly

Cons: Small Dining Space, Fewer Options Near Dinner

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fa Bio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2873 times since Jun 2013.