Expressly Leslie Vegetarian Specialties

• Vegetarian
Contact 815-338-2833

110 S Johnson St, Woodstock, Illinois, USA, 60098

A vegetarian Middle Eastern style food stall located in On the Square mall. Offers falafel in a pocket or as part of a salad plate, a variety of salads, 3 soups each day, a daily special, and smoothies. Seating is available in the adjacent Woodstock Square Mall atrium and during warm weather outdoors. Friday evenings live music.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Mediterranean, Take-out, Catering, Middle Eastern

First Review by TammieS.ReppCraddock

Great Food! - Edit

I love this place. To be honest with you it is the ONLY, and I mean ONLY place around that is like it. Food is wonderful tasty and great for you. Living in the Midwest is very hard for a person wanting to become a vegan, there are factory farms all around. Most are in denial about how animals are treated here too. This is one place that needs glass walls so everyone can truly see how these farms animals are treated and they can WAKE UP!. I am so thankful that Expressly Leslie's is here!!!!

Pros: Great Food, Lots of options, Distance travel

Cons: Some dishes a bit on salty side

Expressly Leslie's on historic Woodstock Square - Edit

The owner Leslie has singlehandedly made vegetarian cuisine a force to be reckoned with in this idyllic midwest town. Her food is delicious and is the easy, healthy go-to alternative for a mom with 3 kids bombarded by fast food ads! Her website and blog are inspirational and empowered me to inspire my family to Make The Connection. Thank you, Leslie!!!

Pros: Delicious, healthy food, Flexible menu, Caters!!!!

Great Food-Wish there were more of them! - Edit

A tiny little place with a great big heart and fantastic food. I have not ordered anything that I did not love here (except the non-vegan options, they do serve some dishes with egg, milk, cheese) All items can be veganized and gluten-free, all are made fresh with whole foods and amazing flavors. Prices have continually increased, so that has kept me from going as often as I like, but you do get what you pay for. In a desert of non-vegan eateries this is a wonderful oasis. Thanks to Leslie!

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Folks, Can be all vegan

Cons: A Little Pricey, Atmosphere

Fantastic Falafel - Edit

I can never choose which of the amazing dishes I want so I always get the sampler platter. It's more than enough to share with a friend unless you are greedy and starving. The falafels are to die for. All of their side dishes including the carrot are perfectly dressed. The only complaint are the hours. Sometimes it's hard to get here before they close. You will not be disappointed and it's a must try for anyone in the area.

Pros: Falafel, Vegan Options, Salads

Cons: Small cafe, Odd hours

Great Food, Bad Hours - Edit

Great Middle Eastern food, plenty of vegan options, but very limited hours. Great to go to the farmers market in Woodstock and get some lunch too (although it gets very busy then), but I would come much more often if she was open for dinner.

Pros: Falafel, Salads

Cons: Hours

Expressly Leslie - vegan options :) - Edit

Expressly Leslie is a great new addition to the Woodstock Square and probably the only vegetarian restaurant in the immediate area. I only wish there was a vegetarian restaurant when I lived in Woodstock years ago.

So, the cafe is located in a little mall near the Starbucks - it's a little hard to spot, so just park somewhere in the square and walk around. The food style is Mediterranean, so you can compare it to your local falafel place. The owners were very friendly and made a few suggestions regarding the vegan fare. At their suggestion I ordered the falafel pita sandwich and had a vegan truffle for dessert. I thought the sandwich was average and I really liked the truffle. To be honest I was shocked that they had a vegan dessert, in Woodstock for that matter, so one extra cow for that.

Overall I think the food is a 3, but I'm adding that fourth cow for being the only place in 'the middle of nowhere' with vegan food and for that tasty vegan truffle.

Convenient for those outside of the 'burbs - Edit

If you're outside of the NW 'burbs and are looking for an alternative to fast food, then Expressly Leslie Cafe is a place to consider. The prices are fair and the food is served quickly--all without the typical fast food atmosphere. The Falafels were tasty, but I found some of the salads to be a bit oily and tart and for my personal liking (please note I am not a stranger to Middle Eastern cuisine).

Again, Expressly Leslie Cafe is a decent enough place to grab a quick veg*n bite outside of the NW 'burbs, but if you have the time I would suggest a trip to the city instead.

Pros: Fairly priced

Cons: Smaller menu, Food, Limited dining area

Great place for lunch with friends - Edit

Expressly Leslie's food is awesome, and it's great to be on the Square with friends in this little mall. The only complaint I have is that everything is my favorite, so I have a difficult time making selections. Rock on, Leslie!

Pros: great food, healthy, friendly staff

The Best Food - Edit

I am not a vegetarian, but I love to eat vegetables and eating here makes me feel great! Leslie makes some of the best food on the planet and I feel so lucky that she is nearby. I have several family members who are vegetarians and they always ask me to order from Leslie's catering items and bring it to them. The sampler's are a great way to sample her salads. Another favorite of mine is the Farmer's breakfast. I also catered Leslie's food for my son's birthday party and the salads were a beautiful presentation. Not the run of the mill catered food, which was nice for a party. This is a definite must try for vegetarians, non-vegetarians, people who like mediterranean specialites, etc. She has the best hummus I have ever had. Great job Leslie!

Pros: Fresh Food, Great Recipes, Healthy

Return to Woodstock Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Expressly Leslie Vegetarian Specialties closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1670 times since Dec 2009.