Evolution Fast Food

• Friend
Contact 619-550-1818

2965 5th Ave, San Diego, California, USA, 92103

Vegan fast food with drive-thru option. Features a variety of foods, from rawcos (raw tacos) and raw stuffed veggies, to soup du jour and a selection of burgers. Has fresh organic juices, signature smoothies and shakes, European-style desserts, and vegan soft serve. Most food is in-house-made from scratch even the ketchup and ranch dressing. Gluten-free options. Brunch is offered weekends 11am-2pm. Uses biodegradable packaging. Est. 2009 originally as Nature's Express. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by divine_health

comfort vegan fast food - Edit

If you're in the mood for vegan fast food, this place won't disappoint. I got the chicken ranch sandwich and a cup of chili. Some of the best chili I've ever tasted! I just wish the vegan chicken came with more ranch; I should've ordered a side of it. Outdoor seating is a little grungy, but I liked the laid-back vibe of it. Staff was friendly and chill. Would go again!

Pros: laid-back vibes, traditional "fast food" options, entirely vegan

Cons: only outdoor seating

Great Fast Food - Edit

I've been eating here for years and have enjoyed it. They have a special everyday that they rotate, which almost never disappoints. Though if you go enough you'll start to notice some repetition. It is a little pricey to me for what it is, but that doesn't stop me from going back. I probably would have given them 5 stars for a fast food joint a few months ago, but they're currently getting out shined by their little brother in OB, Plant Powered. If you haven't been, I definitely recommend trying it out.

Pros: Daily special, Quick

Cons: Pricey for fast food

tasty burgers - Edit

We went and had two burgers here. The tempeh burger isn't like the tempeh I'm used to; this one is more soft and mushy. Nevertheless they were as tasty as I hoped. The vegan cheese is great, it melts and is sticky, unlike a lot of other vegan cheeses.

Definitely recommended as an environmental friendly, cruelty-free fast food alternative!

Pros: tasty, friendly staff, central location

Cons: more expensive than regular fast food, not much seating

Love - Edit

I love this little cafe. It is perfect for one who drives a lot. Sometimes, I roll up to their to-go window and I will get a day-old veggie sandwich for like $1.50. Most of the time, however, I stop in and eat inside the cafe and enjoy their daily specials !!! Vegan hamburgers made a zillion different ways and crazy salads !!! There are not enough good things I could say about Evolution. I have been coming here since it was a buffet-style vegan restaurant, probably under a different name, I don't remember. But, I do remember always loving the food here !!!!!

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Great price

Great place, Great food - Edit

I used Happy Cow to find a spot to eat while visiting San Diego, and chose Evolution Fast Food based on the positive reviews, which were well deserved

It was fairly busy, but the food was prepared well, tasted great and the staff was very friendly

had a burger & fries and the hemp milk shake, WOW !!

I will deff return

Pros: Great food, Taste & Flavors, That Hemp milk Shake tho !!!

very exciting - Edit

We visited Evolution Fast Food while visiting San Diego. The shakes we got were really, really good. Chocolate reminded me of a Wendy's frosty from my pre-vegan days and my fiancé commented that his vanilla shake tasted just like he remembered from before he was vegan too. They seem to use the Beast Burger as their "beef" patty which is pretty good. The regular fries were very good, but the sweet potato ones were cut like chips and were mushy instead of crispy - bit of a bummer. The outdoor seating area was cute but could use a little freshening up to feel more clean. And on that note - from time to time I got whiffs of what smelled like a cleaning solution...I later realized it was the smell from the bathrooms around the corner - kinda gross. But nothing that would stop me from going back! Vegan fries, burgers and milkshakes - yes please!!

Side note: We were a little surprised that the menu board uses the words fish/chicken etc without clarifying that they're vegan - you only know they are if you notice at the top of the board it says Evolution Vegan Fast Food, but yet one spot it says "vegan mayo" and in other spots it puts quotes around "honey"...my fiancé actually asked me if the place was all vegan and I pointed to the top of the sign, but the inconsistencies really did throw us off for a second!

Definitely worth a trip! - Edit

Great little restaurant with a lovely outdoor patio. Close enough to Balboa Park that you could walk your food over and have a picnic. I ordered the California Burrito and my fiancé ordered the Southwest Burger (with Black Bean patty). Both were very tasty. If I have one complaint its just that the food was a little salty but certainly not enough to stop us from devouring every bite.

gorgeous patio, fast & easy, kid-friendly - Edit

We came here directly from the airport after a six hour, cross country flight with two kids under four :-) this was more perfect than I could have imagined! You order at the counter and while waiting for food to be prepared, we relaxed in the spacious and comfortable patio seating area, with a beautiful fountain and lots of foliage. The food was terrific. There was a wonderful large variety of very healthy stuff, like a raw burger, and a green salad with ranch…to less healthy but equally delicious and satiating comfort food -- we had one of the regular burgers, the chili cheese fries (amazing!), And the tacos, which were truly divine :-)

Pros: great variety of healthy and comfort options, beautiful large open patio seating, great vibe all around

Cons: not fancy (if you're looking for that)

AMAZING! - Edit

This place is truly amazing. I didn't know anything about it before but I've seen their menu online and decided to try it. We had black bean & beef bacon cheeseburgers with fries and even my omnivore parents said it was the best thing ever. Beef tasted even a bit too real, just like tempeh bacon and cheese, and the fries had some herb spices and were also amazing. I also took one chicken sandwich for later and it was great. Only thing that wasn't that good was the soft serve ice cream, it was too icy and cold to eat, it didn't have the ice cream consistency. But overall, amazing.

Pros: amazing food, inexpensive

My Go-To - Edit

Anytime I dont feel like cooking or have a family party to go to- Evolution is my auto pilot destination. 80% of the time ill call in my order and get the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Chicken Strips and ill pickup a ready made tuna salad. Every once in a while ill venture out and try something new. Everything is always so flavorful. No matter where im at, whenever i pull my deliciousness out of the brown paper bag from heaven, i get asked 'are you eating chicken?!' Lol at which point, i smile and happily advertise Evolution and everything it offers.

Pros: All Vegan Menu, Full of Flavor, Diverse Options (burgers, burritos, mac n cheese)

Cons: Only 1 location, Always Busy so Call Ahead, Small Parking Lot

Vegan Fast Food Drive-Thru! - Edit

San Diego vegans are a lucky bunch! This vegan drive-thru may not be large or fast, but it's the idea and thought that count, and I, for one, appreciate it.

TEMPE BURGER WITH BACON: Not the best burger that I've ever had, but it was ok. It seemed a tad dry and lacking in flavor.

FISH SANDWICH: Basically, 2 Gardein Fishless Filets on a bun. Nothing original, and nothing that they added to it made it stand out from being a grocery store bought meal. Even their tartar sauce lacked flavor; I couldn't even tell it was supposed to be tartar sauce. Skip this and make your own at home.

BUFFALO CHICKEN SANDWICH: Now we're talking! Buffalo sauce was kicking. Chicken patty was crispy. This sandwich is a winner in the tasty department!

French fries were crispy and good.

Their soft serve wasn't the best, but it was ok.

Loved the outside patio area. It's very spacious and cozy.

I will certainly return to try a few more items and to see if any of the other burgers taste better than the tempeh option.

Cons: small parking lot

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Evolution Fast Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.