Evolution Bakery and Cafe

808-331-1122

75-5813 Ali'i Dr (at Coconut Grove Shopping Ctr), Kailua Kona, Hawaii, USA, 96740

Fully vegan since Jan 2017. Shares same space with Get Sum Pizza. The owners of Up Country Bakery and Cafe in Captain Cook moved to this location in Dec 2013. Offers breakfast menu until 11:30am which includes vegan pancakes and breakfast sandwiches. After that, juices, coffee, smoothies and pastry items available. Has vegan cheese. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by sullivusb

Nice find - Edit

We ate there twice during our stay on the island. Once we just bought pastries as there breakfast hours had ended and the other we had there breakfast burritos and fresh made juice. Both times we were very pleased with the food.

Pros: food , staff

Cons: wish the had had a lunch menu as well

Evolution Bakery & Cafe - Edit

STOKED to know that they are now fully VEGAN!!

Located in the Coconut Grove Marketplace (just below Jack's Diving Locker). They share space with GET SUM pizza. It has a cute vibe and has limited indoor seating. There is seating outdoors. They offer pancakes, sandwiches, Organic NON GMO tofu scrambles, smoothies, fresh juice, and home made Gluten Free Bagels.

We had the vegan bagel sandwiches, pancakes, smoothies and banana bread. Everything was amazing!! There was nothing that we did not enjoy (the Biscuits & Gravy is spicy and has a lot of pepper in it which makes you perspire) - but it was good otherwise.

We visit Evolution Bakery & Café every time we are on the Big Island. It is that good. Looking forward to visiting again. Friendly staff. We enjoyed playing some of the board games while we waited too.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-05

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-14

Pros: Onolicious Food, Good Value , Very Friendly Staff

excellent vegan breakfast! - Edit

All our food was superb!
Excellent banana/mac nut pancakes, delicious tofu scramble and wonderful soy cappuccinos.
My husband loved his berry turnover. Lots of interesting vegan-themed reading material to check out while you wait.
We also had dinner at the adjoining vegan place.
The jackfruit nachos with homemade vegan cheese is amazing. The tofu Reuben was darned good--maybe it would be bit better if made with seitan rather than tofu cause tofu just doesn't have the same chewiness.
I'm going to end this review because I've run out of superlatives!

Best plant based cream cheese! - Edit

I was in Kona for 4 days and I got a bagel with cream cheese 3 of those days. The Bahamas are house baked fresh and they have a selection of (all plant based!) cream cheeses which were so good! Another thing I loved was that your coffee came with soy, almond or coconut milk and the dairy milk was an extra $0.25. Finally a place that charges extra for animal products instead of the other way around! Really good vegan peanut butter cookies too!

Pros: Friendly staff, Indoor and outdoor seating , Vegan books and material at all tables!

Cons: Not fully vegan but a good selection

The best! - Edit

Even though not all items are veg, I was thrilled to find a cafe that has a good selection of vegan options! Staff is super friendly and food is top notch fresh. I had a vegan dessert called that was sooo decadent, definitely not for those on a diet. The tofu scramble called the Ghandi was excellent as their smoothies. I try to stop by when I'm visiting Kona!

That banana bread! - Edit

I agree with everyone else. The banana and macadamia bread is so delicious. Do yourself a favour and buy a loaf. You won't regret it.

I would have liked to try some 'Get Sum' vegan pizza next door but I ran out of meals :(

Pros: Banana bread

Cons: A bit expensive

BANANA BREAD with MAC NUTS - Edit

Really need I say more? Get your vegan banana bread, and get another with macadamia nuts. Take them with you for your activities. Best banana bread on the island, and they have SO many vegan options you must check it out. They also have Kombucha. Go there later in the day and get your bbread with a vegan pizza from Get Sum Pizza (get the vegan breadfruit crust!). I'll write Get Sum Pizza's review separately. Call ahead and pick it all up! In coconut grove shopping center and you can park in that center in back.

Pros: Banana Bread, Macadamia Nuts, Banana Bread with Mac Nuts

A lifesaver in Kona for vegans - Edit

THE FOOD HERE IS DELICIOUS!!! We were so happy to find this place after visiting the truly disappointing Ali'i Buzz Cafe. Multiple vegan baked good options -- lots of different cookies and a peanut butter bar -- plus vegan pancakes and a tofu scramble served 'til 11:30. Also kind of neat you can order a cheese-less pizza (marinara style) customized with lots of different veggies at the same location in the evening, we took home a giant veggie pizza for $20 and had it for dinner and breakfast the next day in our hotel. I definitely recommend stopping here. TRY THE PANCAKES, SUPERCHEWY BAGELS w/CREAM CHEESE, TOFU SCRAMBLE, AND THE VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER/CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!

UPDATE: We wound up eating here every single day for the whole week, that's how awesome it was :) Best pancakes I've ever had, even when I wasn't vegan. :)

Updated from previous review on Sunday November 09, 2014

Pros: Variety of choices for vegans, PANCAKES!, extended breakfast hours

Cons: Closes 11:30 AM

Best breakfast - Edit

For any vegans visiting the Big Island, you must go to this restaurant for breakfast. The pancakes are the best vegan pancakes I have ever had and the vegan breakfast sandwiches are incredible. They are served open face on a bagel of your choice. They also have some bakery items that are great to take home.

Where else can you get a great vegan bagel in Kona - Edit

Gluten free, vegan options in all types of baked goods. Everything, herb, plain or salt varieties of bagels, as well as vegan cream cheese. They try their best to avoid GMOs. They share space with the pizza place - so get your bagels in the am and your pizza in the pm.

Outstanding Breakfast!!! - Edit

We just ate here this morning. We had two of the breakfast sandwiches, the pancakes, a chai tea latte, and fresh OJ. everything delicious! And we're from Los Angeles where we have tons if vegan options. The breakfast sandwiches were hands down the best we've ever had. Going back tomorrow for my 30th birthday breakfast!! With so few options on the island for vegans, this was heaven :) Although they serve meat, they definitely deserve 5 stars!!!!

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Cute atmosphere

An abundance of vegan options! - Edit

How amazing to be able to go into a cafe and have so many choices of vegan food! My omni spouse and I stopped in for breakfast based on HappyCow reviews and were both thrilled with our breakfasts! The vegan macadamia nut and banana pancakes with real maple syrup were fantastic! We each had a bagel - my spouse the vegetarian bagel melt with organic eggs and dairy cheese, me one of the vegan ones with vegan cheese. Simply delicious! Johnny was so welcoming and let us know that his cafe caters to vegans. The staff was great also. We ordered too much and enjoyed our leftovers immensely during our visit to Volcanoes National Park. Johnny also let us know that the pizza place they share the space with makes vegan pizza - vegan crust, sauce and Daiya cheese.

Pros: Cater to vegans, Pancakes!

Awesome! - Edit

We went here for breakfast a couple times. They are located in Coconut Grove market place. They make gluten free pancakes and vegan pancakes, we asked for gluten free vegan pancakes and Johnny, the owner said he would make them for us. They were great! The next time we ordered the Gandhi and the warrior. The warrior was made with eggs, Johnny made it with tofu for us. Had mine on a gluten free bagel. It was great! We also had fresh squeezed orange juice. They were only open from 7-12. So go in the morning. They share their space with a pizza place that will sell you there bakery items when they are closed. Many of the bakery items are vegan!

Pros: Vegan and gluten free items, Very accommodating , Location

Great Desserts, friendly staff! - Edit

A friend and I happened to notice a sign for this bakery advertising vegan baked goods so stopped in to try them out. The coconut chocolate bars were the best and are highly recommend, the date bars were also good (particularly for a sugar free dessert). The staff was also very friendly, helping us find a good place to swim nearby.

They also serve vegan smoothies and pancakes / breakfast sandwiches from 6:00 - 11:30 AM. If I am ever back in Kona that early in the morning I will definitely check them out!

Pros: Yummy!, Friendly Staff!

Return to Kailua Kona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Evolution Bakery and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.