Ethos

Contact 02035811538

48 Eastcastle St, London, England, W1W 8DX

A fast casual, self-service restaurant that opened Sept 2014 near Oxford Circus in Central London. Offers meat-free cuisine. Free Wi-Fi. Only serves cakes and drinks between 3 and 5:30pm on weekdays. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-10:00pm, Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European

First Review by amy89

Afternoon tea - Edit

Vegan afternoon tea. It was okay but nothing to rave about and not that good value compared to other places I have been. A few slices of open bread with e.g. avocado. Cakes were nice but really small. Scones, with jam and cashew cream, were very small and without raisins/currents. Staff were friendly though would have been better if they had come to us partway through to ask if we needed more tea, rather than having to call them ourselves. Other places where I've had vegan tea for a similar price (admittedly outside London) have been far more generous with servings and, in particular, cakes have been very decent-sized slices.

Pros: The fact that vegan afternoon tea is available, Friendly staff

Cons: Not that good value for money, Music was a little intrusive

Great place in central London! - Edit

Me and my husband went there for lunch for the 1st time.
The place is really cool and you can help yourself from the buffet, price being made from the weight of your plate.
All the vegan plates are clearly marked!
The food was delicious, lots of salads but unfortunately only 1 hot plate out of maybe 10 vegetarian.
Had the best mushroom mince pie of my entire life!!!!!

Pros: Location, Tasty food, Price

Cons: Deserves more vegan dishes

very expensive buffet - Edit

It's a buffet, priced by weight, it's very expensive for what it is. Veggies are cheap, so I don't understand why? I work right next to this place, but would never go again, as you have no clue how much you will pay until you get to the till! Cake was anything but healthy, and tasted strongly of baking soda or powder, not sure. Place is literally empty in the 9am coffee rush, as coffee is rubbish, extremely slowly prepared and a plastic avocado pot is £3.50 before you add any bread and have to toast it yourself too. Very strange operation in my opinion. Loved by bloggers though, and popular for meetings on a company expense account I guess. I think decor is nice.

Great food but rude manager - Edit

Our experience started well, and ended on a very sour note. The first negative incident was when it was stressed to us that we are not to forget to get our food weighed, despite having just confirmed that we knew how it worked there. The food was mostly very nice, and the place spacious and clean. We also had a very courteous and friendly French server.

When our meal was finished and we'd settled the bill, we were faced with the same manager at the door who originally greeted us, who then confronted us to confirm that we had actually paid for our meal. I was even still holding my payment card and receipt in my hand, and he had not asked the same of anyone else. He had just wished them a good evening. He showed no interest to ask if we enjoyed our meal, or whether we had a good evening. So I can assume this is because we were dressed more casual than he would have liked.

We have never experienced this sort of questioning and suspicion before at any other restaurant, and we found it insulting and offensive. We certainly won't be returning there again, or recommending it to anyone.

Pros: Wide selection of food, clean environment.

Cons: Rude and disrespectful management.

Food is okay but not a huge amount of choice - Edit

This is a pay by weight place. It can get very expensive depending on what you put on your plate. Filling up your plate with boring potato and carrot stuff can quickly rack up the bill with some very heavy food that is quite common. I suggest people pick from the more complex foods (often weighs less too). Eat somewhere else for potato and carrots though.

Pros: Some interesting dishes

Cons: Not great choice, Very expensive if you have a normal sized meal

good choice of vegan food - Edit

Lovely restaurant with a buffet style where you weigh your food. Nice decor and good staff. My plate was ~£10 and my friends was just over £8. Everything clearly labelled.

Pros: vegan choices, friendly staff

Cons: can get expensive

Great concept, delicious food - Edit

Walked past Ethos on my way home one evening and it looked so inviting.. All the delicious food tempting me in!! I didn't realise it was all vegetarian until the friendly staff member mentioned it as I was looking through the window.. Obviously I was in! It's not all vegan but there are very suitable options, and for a (very up-market) buffet, everything was yum! But, it is a tad expensive.. Expect to pay around £18-20 for a decent plate of food, with drinks and dessert on top!

Pros: Variety, Flavour, Atmosphere

Cons: Pricey (and you don't know what you're paying unti

Lovely and Upmarket - Edit

Arrived here just after Brexit and the lovely staff mentioned there's been a real downturn in custom. Great to be able to get a civilised, vegan breakfast in London. Had the tofu scramble hash with kale, a lovely antidote to not getting any food on the plane trip from Australia over the past thirty hours :D

Pros: Elegant, Great staff, Healthy meals

lovely food and great atmosphere - Edit

This café was beautiful inside with a nice tree decor and fantastic toilets. Staff were extremely helpful. We chose not to do the self-serve option and ordered from the menu. We had breakfast hash/scramble which was amazing. Would have loved to go back and try more options.

Pros: beautiful space , well-presented food

Cons: vegetarian - so have to check what's vegan, very expensive

Wonderful Atmosphere, and Best Pancakes Ever! - Edit

As you may have guessed, we came for breakfast. From start to finish, it was delicious. What really stands out are the pancakes. They were fluffy, flavorful, and made us wish we had ordered more of them.

food is really great - Edit

Buffet style feast - I love how everything is really clearly labelled. Lots of vegan and gluten free options including dessert. I love the setting too. Slightly expensive but what do you expect in central London.

Pros: Allergens clearly labelled, Friendly staff, Lots of choice - help yourself!

Cons: A little pricey due to location

A fantastic buffet..if you can afford it! - Edit

Had a visit here around Christmas and it was lovely, but it was a bit overpriced. I tried a fair amount of different dishes but only had a little bit of each due to the price! But I really enjoyed it, would only be a rare treat though as I am weary of spending too much money, I prefer to know what I'm spending rather than having to guess and limit myself whilst choosing from loads of tasty dishes!
If you don't really need to limit your spending this is a fantastic place with a really good selection of food and all is labeled if it's vegan or gluten free which is amazing and obviously the location is great if you're having a Oxford street day! ☺

Pros: Vegan friendly, Gluten free options, Delicious

Cons: Bit overpriced

Beautiful food, lovely service - Edit

I was visiting London for just a few days, so decided to try this place out and was so glad I did. The food was delicious, so many options, the restaurant itself was gorgeous and the people were really nice. Everything was vegetarian and there were many vegan dishes, all clearly labelled. The only criticism I have is that there could have been more than one dessert option other than the brownie. Overall, it was a great experience.

Classy, elegant, beautiful. Food is always same! - Edit

Ethos is a great restaurant: it looks stunning and it is great to impress someone but keep things casual, as it is a food by weight type of place. While the food is very good (good seitan ribs, aubergine and salads, great dips too), the price is high and the food is always the same, so repeated visits get a bit...er... repetitive. Still, it is super close to Oxford Street, the food is good and it can be a good option for a special occasion.

Pros: Classy, elegant, beautiful environment, Good food, Great selection

Cons: Pricey, The selection is always the same

Absolutely Amazing!! - Edit

I absolutely loved it here, there is so much food to choose from! and it all tastes amazing without leaving a dent in the wallet. Definitely a good choice for dinner after work or even with friends after a day out shopping. They also do breakfast which I will be trying very soon :)
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 09, 2015

Pros: Even your meat eating friends will love!, lots of choice, amazing enviroment

Cons: Expensive drinks, Muffins tasted of soap??

Excellent service, delicious food - Edit

This was my first time here. It was easy enough to find and a short walk from Oxford Circus tube. I found the service to be excellent from start to finish with friendly and informative staff (I had questions about the "birch trees" in the cafe- discovered they were fake and part of a Birch Water advertising campaign. I liked the quirkiness of them and the atmosphere they provided).

All vegan dishes (70% of what was on offer) were clearly marked and there was a nice variety of hot and cold dishes. I went for the seitan stroganoff, a rice dish, a string bean dish and a ratatouille dish; all of which were flavoursome.

The chocolate dessert was a little dry for my liking (could have done with either chocolate chips or some sauce, I felt) but I think the price was fair for the quality of the rest of the food.

I will definitely go back and eat here when I come in to Central London. I'd be interested to see what the morning options are...

Pros: Friendly and informative service, Delicious food , Interesting venue visually

Lovely place - Edit

I really like Ethos. Food is so delicious even though on a bit pricier side.. The selection of foods is amazing, however please note it's not vegan only. it's vegetarian as well.
We were always welcomed by staff and left feeling great. Been there a few times - will defo come back!!

Pros: yummy food

Cons: can be pricey

Ethos - Edit

There were 2 hot vegan food options at lunchtime, with a few more to choose from amongst the salad options. The food was nice enough, but nothing outstanding. I would have expected to have a lot of vegan items to choose from at a vegetarian restaurant so was quite disappointed at the limited selection.

The dessert buffet looked more promising, however on closer inspection only some of the items were marked with dietary info. Upon finally getting hold of a staff member to ask them which desserts were vegan, they didn't understand what I was asking when I said 'vegan'. She had to get her manager who was then able to point out what I could eat. Again, this is a lot of effort to find something vegan in a vegetarian restaurant!

I will say though that the food was fine and the space was really nice. It's always good to have another veg restaurant option I just hope they can make some improvements in future.

Pros: Convenient location, Nice interior, Some nice vegan cakes and muffins

Cons: Vegan's main choices are salads, Buffet not well labelled

Happy and full! - Edit

After reading a couple of reviews I decided that I would have to go and try this place. I loved the ambiance of the restaurant which was very friendly, stylish and modern. The trees are definitely a nice touch. We were greeted at the door and were able to get a table without reservations (but those would be recommended in my opinion). We received a nice introduction to how the place "works" meaning that it was a pay by weight buffet style place. There were three different areas for food - first one was the starter/salad table which did have descriptions of what each item was, the second table contained main dishes which were also nice and varied. I do have to say it would have been helpful to possibly have a few more of the ingredients and spices used indicated to avoid picking something that might look really great but contains an ingredient/spice one might not like. The third and last table contained desserts which were a selection of cupcakes, cakes and mousses. I tried the rice crispie treat with peanut butter fudge which was to die for! All in all the food selection was great, all food was tasty and I cannot make any kind of negative comments on that. One issue we did have was that my friend completely overloaded his plate and ended up paying twice as much as I paid, which is really not nice when being stuck with a high bill because one is not aware of how "heavy" the plateful actually is.

Pros: Great ambiance and location, Delicious and varied food, friendly staff

flies, flies oh my - Edit

After lunch at nearby tibits, we decided to find this place and have a coffee to check it out for a later meal. Staff did not know if the hot chocolate could be made vegan, staff did not know what was on offer for vegans for breakfast, staff really not interested or invested in their jobs, they could care less is the attitude.We looked at the food on display on the heat plates and the salad section. Whilst the food looked nice and some was clearly marked vegan, we were totally put off by the flies buzzing around. Not for me, I like to go where you feel welcomed by knowledgable staff without the flies.

Pros: location, vegan options

A great veggie haven in the centre of town! - Edit

So much choice and everything was delicious. Service was genuine and top notch... First time, I went by myself for lunch and then again for a dinner with a group of friends. Both visit exceeded my expectations. What I like is that it offered dishes that I enjoy, the BBQ Seitan, Stoganoff, Jambalaya/ spanish rice dish and even my favourite salad??? Mango Avocado Spinach? That one shocked me as it really is my favourite and I haven't seen it outside of my kitchen! I can still taste the spicy/ smoky flavour potatoes. mmmmh! Very classy decor but very down to earth at the same time. Lunch time it was very, very busy. But a it' a buffet you can get your food fast or get takeaway. Location is soooo convenient, very close to Oxford Circus. Everything has been very well thought through, and excellently executed. I and my friends can't wait to go back. This will definitely be a regular!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 20, 2015

Pros: High Standard/ Variety/ Choice, Ambience, Great Service

Ethos... not at all disappointed - Edit

I was very excited to hear that this had opened, especially in the touristy, good-food desert that is the Oxford circus area. Ok my expectations of vegetarian restaurants are generally not that high, but I thought the food here was delicious. It was simple, unpretentious (unlike so many vegetarian restaurants where if you forget what you ordered, it's often hard to tell just by looking at it or even tasting it what it is)and of good-high quality. I was genuinely thrilled to have a choice, let alone so much choice. I did wonder if having food from different regions of the world together would work, but nothing on my mixed plate jarred. Yes, it was quite expensive, and yes the music was awful (but that's just a reflection of my taste, and it wasn't horribly loud.) but I shall definitely be going back, hopefully in the near future.

Pros: good quality food, lots of choice, friendly staff

Cons: ambience not very relaxing, a bit pricey

Ethos - Edit

After being very excited to try 'Ethos', especially after all the great reviews I'd read, I have to say, that after our meal, my friend and I were left feeling a little disappointed. Similar to nearby vegetarian restaurant 'Tibits', everything is sold by weight, which makes it tricky to know what you're spending. Initially, what looked like a vast selection of food, on closer inspection was just quite basic salads, lots of middle eastern mezzie style foods such as stuffed vine leaves and hummus etc.
I think it would be helpful if the descriptions by each dish gave a better explanation as to what each dish contained. There was a Jamaican rice dish which looked lovely, so I took a few spoonsful, but found it was very heavily spiced with cinnamon, a spice which I particularly dislike. Had it mentioned that, I would not have tried it. I'm vegan and my friend is vegetarian. I began to think, that there were a lot of dishes I'd had to avoid, (with cheese and egg) and maybe that's why I wasn't enjoying mine very much, due to limited choice, but my friend said, she felt that even as a veggie the choices and tastes were lacking something. There were about 2 vegan options for desert & I had a small chocolate cup cake, which was tasty and was definitely fresh out of the oven. Apart from the food overall being a let down, the staff were really attentive, smiley and friendly. I'd possibly pop in for tea and a cake again, but I think there are better vegan/veggie places close by, if I wanted a meal.

Pros: Good Location, Friendly staff

Good for a quick, mid-price meal - Edit

We had dinner here on a Saturday evening. It was busy but not crowded, although you may want to make a reservation. There was an interesting range of cold and "hot" (i.e., room temperature) dishes, as well as a small selection of desserts that were very overpriced. There were also a variety of drinks, although they seemed pricey so we just had tap water. It is a buffet and the restaurant feels like a pleasant canteen, the kind of place where you can have a nice meal with friends but don't want to linger for a longer chat. Prices aren't cheap but not over the top for central London. A staff member was on hand to make recommendations and she seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the food.

Pros: variety of dishes, nice vibe, good for a quick meal

Cons: a little pricey, slightly "clinical" environment

Disappointing - Edit

I ate at Ethos this evening with a friend and we were not at all impressed - we are both vegans.

The drinks board on the wall stated that 'all wines were vegetarian or vegan' but there was no symbol to say which were vegan. At first I assumed they must mean it was vegetarian AND vegan but on enquiry I was given a laminated paper menu which marked two of the nine wines as suitable for vegans (a white and a rose, unbelievably no red wine option). The beer and champagne were not marked and staff told me a lager I knew to be vegan was not. It seems silly to me not to mark vegan items on the board, for customers to have to wait til they are at the counter to identify which drinks are vegan from the menu or by asking the staff - this will surely cause unnecessary delay and irritation at busy times. Although cider was listed on their (brand new) wall board I was told they do not actually stock cider.

The food labelling was inconsistent, for example there were two plates of the same dish, one at each end of the buffet table, one was labelled vegan but the other was not. Some of the food was not labeled vegan but it turned out to be when we asked and they checked with the kitchen. Also there were quite a few dishes without tongs or spoons in them which meant cross contamination in vegan and wheat free dishes.

The food is pricey but was nothing special and much of it wasn't warm enough. There were only two vegan options for dessert and they did not appeal (it seemed to us that the more interesting desserts could have been made vegan) so we went elsewhere.

The decor is stylish but not especially practical (very noisy and the screens between pairs of tables were not very effective). I had high hopes for this place but I won't be going back unless things dramatically improve.

Great Night - Edit

My husband and I attended the new Ethos Foods restaurant in London today. The venue is amazing and the food was delicious. We were really happy with our choice and will definitely come back for more.

Pros: Great venue and atmosphere, Delicious and healthy food

Enjoyable Experience - Edit

I have visited Ethos a number of times and can honestly say that I have enjoyed every visit. I found there was a great variety of food, friendly staff and a lovely atmosphere and decor. Can't wait to see some more unique dishes!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice Vibe, Tasty Food, Free Wifi

ate here in October - Edit

We ate here on a Thursday evening in October 2014. We were so excited to see another new vegetarian restaurant open in London that we went down with high hopes. The place looks lovely, the food is nicely displayed and looks very exciting. In fact the salads were very good. The disappointing part was two-fold - the 'hot' food was cold and the price was ridiculous. We had rather modest meals and with a drink we paid £15 and £20 each. I can see that the owners have tried very hard to make it look stylish and not like a canteen but without proper hot lamps and hot serving equipment, their good food is going cold. It's a shame because I'd hate to see a veggie place fold but unless they seriously address the hot food issue and lower the prices.

Pros: Stylish interior, Nice salads

Cons: Hot food all stone cold

Ethos Foods 19 Oct 2014 - Hello Amy89

Thank you for your review. Feedback is essential to us as we have only recently opened our doors and are constantly looking at ways to improve our offering.

That said, we are sorry you were disappointed by your experience at Ethos. We take your comments on board and are looking at ways to ensure our hot food stays that way whilst on the pods.

We at Ethos strive to provide a truly premium experience, which includes both the original setting and the variety of the dishes on offer. We use high quality ingredients and all our dishes are freshly prepared on the premises each day.

We shall shortly be launching our loyalty app and Stag club, both of which will provide interesting offers and promotions.

Perhaps you could contact us directly and we would be delighted to look at how we can rectify the unfortunate experience and welcome you back in the near future. Our email address is [email protected]

Yours sincerely,

Ethos

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ethos closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.