Ethiopian Love

  • Veg-options Veg-options
    ( 5 reviews )

1112 Smith St (at downtown, Oahu), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 96817

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian cuisine. Has a vegetarian sampler served with injera bread. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Beer/Wine, Take-out, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

5 Reviews

First Review by knockout_mice

Disappointing dinner - Edit

We have eaten here a couple of times before and enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, our experience on Sunday was not good. We were 5 diners. 3 ordered vegetarian options, 2 ordered meat. Unlike the last time, the vegetarian and meat options were on the same plate. The server had to ask the kitchen which were the vegetarian. And the portions were definitely skewed to meat. Supposedly 3 vegetarian entrees took up only 40 % of the plate, and the remaining 60% was the meat entrees. When we complained, the manager came over and was very dismissive of our concerns. I will not go back. The food is tasty, but the lack of service and disregard of vegetarian concerns don't make up for it.

Read More

By submitting this post you agree to HappyCow Terms

Best vegan-friendly restaurant in town! - Edit

I've been to Ethiopian Love more than any other non-vegan restaurant and enjoy it more each time, especially the outside seating (only available on weekends). I usually order the Ethiopian Love Veggie Sampler, which contains tastes of 6 popular dishes.
Last night I went with several people and we tried the Sambussas appetizer, a stuffed pastry that reminds me of a combination between an Indian Samosa and a Chinese eggroll, dipped in a spicy sauce. Delicious! I also tried Romi, which consists of mushrooms, zucchini and onions in sauce, for the first time (usually contains butter, and you must ask them to omit). It's really tasty.
Normally I request my own plate, but I forgot last night and they defaulted to put everyone's order on one big plate "Family style" that was covered with injera bread. It was a lot of fun, though I ate twice as much as usual.
The food is a bit oily and salty, but not moreso than most restaurants, vegan or non-vegan! Incidentally, I definitely recommend this place on occasions you're dining with non-vegans.
For dessert, they serve peanut/ginger tea and baklava as well, which are tasty but unfortunately contain honey.
Their prices are a little lower at lunchtime, though portions are also smaller.

Pros: Delicious and authentic , Good place to dine w/ omnivore friends and familiy, Warm atmospher and service

Cons: A little oily and salty, Some items contain honey, Parking can be a challenge

Read More

By submitting this post you agree to HappyCow Terms

Ethiopian Love - Edit

Ethiopian Love is a quaint restaurant in Chinatown. There are a few tables indoors and some outdoor seating in the back garden as well.

Parking: Municipal parking available on Smith and Ala Moana. We parked for 3 hours and paid $3. There is also metered street parking along the streets surrounding Chinatown.

The manager was very warm and kind. Our server was the same and assisted us navigate the menu to vegan-friendly options. Wash your hands and be prepared to eat without utensils. :) You use the flat, fermented sponge like bread called injera to pick up the food. Injera has a mildly sour taste but it's supposed to taste like that since it's fermented. We loved this experience and had a wonderful meal. We had the Vegetarian Sampler which gave us a taste of everything, but the best thing on the platter is the red lentils, very tasty - It was a large enough platter for two to enjoy.

We enjoyed the warm, home feeling and intimate setting. We look forward to coming back.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-19

Pros: Vegan Options, Nice Vibe, Ethiopian Food

Read More

By submitting this post you agree to HappyCow Terms

Tasty Food but Expensive - Edit

Great tasting food but on the pricier side. There are always vegan options here but they also serve meat dishes. I always get the veggie sampler platter.

Pros: tasty food

Cons: expensive

Read More

By submitting this post you agree to HappyCow Terms

friendly staff - Edit

The vegetarian plate is very good and filling and the staff are very nice and accommodating to special dietary needs.

Pros: Veggie options are good and filling, Nice ambiance

Cons: Somewhat expensive for what you get

Read More

By submitting this post you agree to HappyCow Terms

Link to this page from your site. .
Return to Honolulu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Business Owners, if you see an unfair review, read this.
Why was my review removed? - details / Review guidelines
Reviews are not endorsed by HappyCow - review terms
Has Ethiopian Love closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2152 times.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support