Enssaro Ethiopian Restaurant

( 1 review )
510-238-9050

357A Grand Ave, Oakland, California, USA, 94610

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional Ethiopian cuisine with vegan options for appetizers and entrees. Also offers a vegan dessert. Open Mon 11:30am-10:00pm, Wed-Thu 11:30am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Ethiopian, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Tigra220

Ethiopian Fries & Hummus! - Edit

I have vegan family in Oakland and this is their favorite restaurant. After browsing their online menu and seeing a few new-to-me menu items, I was excited to come here with them.

I ordered 3 appetizers:

DENITCH FRIES - Thin cut and deep fried potatoes, resembling potato chips in appearance, but not as crisp as a chip. A delightful snack on which to munch while awaiting your main course. Ketchup is available. Portion is large.

YE MESSER SAMBUSA - golden fried pastry puffs (similar to samosas) filled with lentils & spices. Served with a spicy sauce. Delicious! Comes with triangular 4 pieces.

BUTACHA - Homemade Ethiopian hummus. My DD is part Ethiopian and neither of us had ever heard of this being apart of Ethiopian cuisine. Comes with 4 scoops. Tip: scoop up some of the hummus together with the Messer Wot for a super-dose of deliciousness.

For my entree, I ordered the Vegetarian Sampler, aka Ye Tsome Bayaynetu. It comes with Messer Wot (somewhat spicy red lentils), Kik Alicha (yellow split peas), Ata-Kilt (cabbage & potatoes), Gomen (greens), and salad.

On my first visit, I ordered the veg sampler along with an extra order of Messer Wot. It all came out on one platter, which was nice, but it was a lot of food. On my second visit, I requested, and was allowed, to get double Messer Wot instead of the Kik Alicha (which I don't like) and it was the perfect amount of food. All of the veggies were excellent and they give plenty of injera.

If you’re a fan of Ginger Beer, they serve a pretty good one here. There have a new vegan dessert, which is banana and cream based. I’m not a big banana fan so I skipped it, but was happy to see it being advertised.

I only had a couple of dislikes. I thought service was a little lacking. It was hard to get our waitress's attention on both visits, and my hummus didn't come out until we were almost finished eating on the second visit. Also, gratuity is automatically included on tables of 4 or more. This peeves me. 4 is not a large party and it's probably why the service was sub-par.

Pros: delicious vegan options, vegan desserts

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Enssaro Ethiopian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.