First Review by Marco

Lunch - Edit

We went for lunch once. It was still pretty early, but they already ran out of some items on the menu. Then again, the kitchen is tiny.
We had some lovely vegan lentil soup, an oke potato and leek soup, and an uninspired empanada.
Nevertheless, it's a pleasant place with nice food.
Would go there again

Pros: Honest food

Cons: It's cosy but tiny as well

big portions! - Edit

Tiny and cute place. There are only a few tables inside, so making a reservation is recommended. The menu changes daily but there's no choice; they only have one dish :)

The food is great, maybe not that experimental because most of the dishes seem quite standard in the veg kitchen, but it's tasty. Getting a vegan option was no problem when calling ahead of time. Mostly their dishes are not vegan, but occasionally they do have a completely vegan menu the waitress told me. We had couscous with sundried tomatoes, a salad with white cabbage, smoked tofu, apple and lettuce and a beetroot cake (not vegan).

I'm used to eat a lot, but was barely able to finish my portion. They serve a lot, maybe even too much. I'd normally eat the portions of the people I'm with to avoid food getting wasted, but I couldn't this time... ;) So for a price of 11,50 euro you get a lot of food.

The interior is nice and cozy, gives it a bit of a living room atmosphere. Some might not like it but I did!

Pros: tasty food, big portions, friendly staff and good atmosphere

Cons: dishes heavy on cheese sometimes

honest and simple - Edit

I often go here. It is not expensive, and I never have to think what the other dish would have been like ... because there is always 1 daily changing dish - and it is always good. But If I forget to make a reservation ... I often get disappointed because food and space are limited. Lunch is a good option too, soup or sandwitch and no reservation required then.

Pros: price, quality, don't have to choose

Cons: limited space

simple, but very decent - Edit

The woman who runs "Enig Alternatief" ha been doing it for over 15 years now, quite impressive.
It's very small with only a day-menu. Make sure you make a reservation before hand, also when you're vegan. I liked it very much, but nothing I couldn't make myself. It's simple, yet very decent.

Pros: cosy atmosphere, a pioneer in vegetarian restaurants! , decent food

Cons: you have to make a reservation, dishes are not really special

Lives up to its name - Edit

A very small and simple restaurant. You have to go with the menu of the day (yet another way to translate the name of the restaurant ;-) but the times we have been there, the dishes were fine: simple, healthy, tasty. The menu usually is not vegan. The interior is basic to, but with a cultural touch. The name means both 'the only option' and 'alternative in a lovely way'.

Pros: nice food

Return to Arnhem Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Enig Alternatief closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2339 times since Aug 2007.