Engrained

480-965-4239

1290 S Normal Ave (at /2nd Floor, Memorial Union Bldg, ASU Tempe Campus), Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85287

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers at least 1 vegan choice in every menu section, including a daily soup and 2 desserts (such as banana brulee cheesecake). All items clearly marked as vegan or vegetarian. Some of the vegetarian items, like the veggie burger and the veggie pizzas, can be made vegan. Omit the bun and the veggie burger is vegan. Vegan cheese available for the pizza. Confirmed by Chef Rita, who also said there is a vegan sushi roll (not on the online menu). Gluten-free options as well. Big on sustainability and locally grown and harvested foods, some organic. Some of the restaurant is even made out of recycled resources. Spacious cafe with open kitchen, so you can see your food being prepared. As of Sept 2014, the only place on campus to get a decent vegan meal. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-4:00pm. Closed Sat-Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Tigra220

Fresh and Healthy Eats on the ASU Campus - Edit

I finally made it over to Engrained and I was pleasantly surprised at how great everything tasted. Fresh, healthy, organic, and vegan-friendly eats in the middle of a college campus.

I ordered the Vegan Pakora Platter - $10.75. It came with 4 pieces of pakora, saffron wild rice, and a chickpea & cucumber salad with mixed greens. (It also comes with tomatoes, but I omitted them.) Everything was so flavorful. This is a far cry from the boring campus food from my university days. I considered this to be a large and filling portion.

I got a side of their Seasoned Fries - $2.75. I loved the seasoning and the fries were light & crispy.

I also tried the Peach Rhubarb Crisp - $4. It was good, but next time I'll skip the Vanilla Bean Meringue that came on the side, which seemed to give it a sour taste.

A drink is included with any purchase, which was a nice surprise.

I love how many vegan options they have! There is at least one vegan option in each menu categories. For pizza lovers, they offer vegan cheese upon request; veggie burgers are also available upon request. There are lots of gluten-free options as well.

This cafe is pretty large and has ample seating for large groups. For wifi, connect to ASU's free guest connection (you'll need to register if you don't already have an account).

As a campus cafe, they are only open 11am-3pm, M-F, so be sure to get your fix before the weekend.

I was very pleased with my meal at Engrained and I'm looking forward to trying more of their culinary creations. Worth 5 stars!

Pros: delicious vegan options, healthy food; healthy portions

Return to Tempe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Engrained closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.