First Review by imogenmichel

Vegan Mezze - Edit

This restaurant serves 4 types of Turkish mezze plates... One vegan, one veggie, one meat based and one dips based (this may have been veggie friendly, can't quite remember). All mezze plates come with a basket of pitta. Kudos for offering a tasty vegan option... I have posted a picture of what I had. 2 Falafels, 2 dolmades, artichokes, hummus, warm green beans in a tomato sauce and salad. Food was filling and tasty. The sticking point for me was the price at £14 per plate it doesn't feel worth that for such basic food. If it was half the price I'd be recommending wholeheartedly.

Pros: proudly serves a vegan option , cute decor

Cons: overpriced for what it is

Lovely atmosphere and food - Edit

Lovely restaurant that greets you with the smell of incense, a beautiful atmosphere, and friendly staff that cater to vegans. We were seated at the window booth, which was lined with pillows and very comfortable. We ordered a bunch of Mezes and our favorite was the Fasulye, which was a delicate green bean dish that didn’t need any naan to go with it. The Ezme was also good as was the Humus. Their mint tea was delicious too. We were too stuffed for dessert!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly, knowledgeable staff, Great food

Cons: Salad could use a better dressing

Empires Cafe, Edinburgh - Edit

I've just eaten here. I asked the waitress what was vegan friendly and the waitress talked me through the menu. There was nothing she said non vegan that wouldn't have appeared so at 1st glance at the menu. Thus I had quite a bit to choose from.

The menu and pricing goes based on the client chooses a platter based on the number of mezze dishes in the platter, It was £12.95 for the 3 mezze platter and 15.95 for the 5 mezze platter. I had the 5 mezze platter. I have to say it was delicious. each of the mezzes though wasn't overly so I am glad I went for the 5 as the 3 I don't think would have been enough. There bread and a little salad included.

There's also a special all you can eat party platter at I think was £21.95.

Delicious as the food was, it felt a little on the pricey side. 10% was added to the tab for the mezze (not for the drinks that while extra, didn't seem to incur the service charge). Thus if you are watching a tight budget, there's defo more economical alternatives elsewhere foodwise. If you are looking to put some booze away though, you could maybe save some cash utilsing that this place is BYOB.

Decor and atmo were utterly fine as was the demeanour of the waitress.

If I was eating with someone who refused to go to an all vego restaurant, I'd be happy to eat here again no problem at all. Otherwise it would be one of the nearby all vego restaurants in Edinburgh for me.

If this place was all vego I'd defo rate it higher.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Tasty, Nice staff

Cons: Not 100% vego, A little pricey for the food

Great vegan meze - Edit

I came here with some friends and had some amazing vegan meze - around 1/3 of the options on the menu were vegan and all the ones which I tried were amazing, especially the acili! The decor and atmosphere is wonderful, cosy and beautifully decorated, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. They are happy for people to bring their own alcohol, and I highly recommend trying their lovely teas too.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 22, 2013

Pros: Great vegan selection of delicious food, Friendly staff, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: Not 100% veg

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Empires Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2456 times since Jan 2013.