First Review by Tinavegan

Great local market, lots of vegan options! - Edit

Great local market with daily hot/salad bar and soup. Made-to-order juice, smoothies, and coffee. Make-your-own sandwiches and Buddha bowls.
Health & Wellness section.
Lots of vegan options! Everything is clearly labeled so that you know what is vegan. I shop here multiple times a week.

Pros: lots of vegan options, clearly labeled ingredients, one-stop shop

Cons: expensive!, crowded at peak times

Great place to shop - Edit

It's like a giant health-food haven, everything from full meals to snack, beverages, the whole shabang. Vegan options labeled and there's nothing you won't find! The smoothies were very unique and recommendable.

Pros: huge, variety, service

Contributions +16

expensive, but worth it - Edit

Great selection of everything vegan and organic that is actually good brands. Not just anything that slaps a USDA sticker on it and passes it as "organic". Their vegan raw bar is expensive but so good. Only complaint is the veggie section a lot of times is not fresh picking. The staff is super beautiful but can be pretty pretentious. Overall though this is my grocery store, I don't shop anywhere else unless I have to.

Pros: raw bar, actual good organic brands, friendly staff

Cons: expensive, old veggies/fruit

Love this place! Wish I could afford it. - Edit

This place is a vegan mecca. Hot bar, cold bar, juice bar, groceries, cosmetics and specialty items... It is packed full of wonders and goodies. There is an enormous downside however, and that is it's pricing. Ellwoods is crazy expensive. When you shop here, you are supporting organic, and local markets but all that comes at a very high price and it seems that Ellwoods is higher than it's nearby competitors.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Variety , All organic

Cons: Expensive!, Seriously, it's expensive!

I love Ellwoods - my wallet doesn't - Edit

I really love Ellwood's but it's become a special treat place for us. It's just too darn expensive, especially their fantastic food bars. I always end up piling on way more than I can afford and spending close to 20 bucks for lunch! A dangerous place to eat, unless money is not a concern for you. If that's the case then, well, lucky you.

Pros: fresh, great selection, comfy atmosphere

Cons: so pricey, can get really crowded

Love this place... - Edit

... but it has gotten super expensive - especially their produce.

They now have a coffee, juice and smoothie bar and local kombucha on tap. There's a wide variety of prepared foods and ready foods that are vegan - even have vegan and gluten free marked (on cupcakes, salad bar, hot bar, food cases, etc). The bulk section also has bulk spices. They have EatPastry cookie dough and local tofu.

Sometimes it's difficult to find someone to help you, though they are typically very friendly when you ask them for help. I waited about three minutes for someone to get me a cupcake last weekend... and I was the first in line. No one was there.

Pros: good variety , clean, Vegan stuff is clearly marked!

Cons: expensive, long waits for help

Our favorite grocery store! - Edit

We live an hour away but travel the Ellwood at least once a month and stock up. We get the majority of our supplements here. Love the nondairy and frozen food sections. Have a small raw bar and great vegan options on the breakfast/lunch bar. Seasonal line caught fish and local farms supported here as well. My wife loves the vegan cupcakes from the bakery!

Pros: Great variety , Specialized items, Love the buffet/bakery

Cons: Wish they were closer to home!

Yum! - Edit

This place is the best!!! Fantastically delicious and affordable vegan baked selection. The pineapple upside down cake and cupcakes were off the chain. So moist and ooey gooey. As well as many vegan options for food. Tons of local produce. I also love that they have bulk tincture dispensers. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Vegan cupcakes, Local, Yummy

Cons: A little pricey in some areas

Great buffet and foods to go - Edit

The store has a good variety of health foods but not necessarily the best prices. What I like is the good selection of vegan to-go food. They have nuggets, mac-n-cheese and other tasty foods. I recommend the chocolate vegan cake. They also have a nice selection on the salad bar.

Pros: Fast, Tasty, Vegan choices

Cons: Pricey

Wonderful Food bar - Edit

You can't find a better vegitarian or organic food bar in Richmond this side of Whole foods, but even they don't have the vegan selection and labelling of Ellwood Ts. I highly recommend it and they have tons of ethnic flavors.

Pros: Variety, Labelling, Taste Pallet

Cons: Pricey

Ellwood Thompsons Vegan friendly - Edit

ET is the best place to find vegan sandwiches, entrees and desserts pre-made and ready to pick up and have a quick lunch or take home for dinner. They have a hot bar with vegan selections as well as the few meat picks. They have a basic eating area and a couple of tables outside. There is more non vegetarian food than there used to be. And too much space devoted to overpriced wine and cheese. No one who is health conscious buys expensive wine if they drink at all. It is part of a trend with health food stores to turn away from the "health" part of their name and try to be an upscale la-de-da gourmet shop. When I first started eating vegetarian, I shopped at a real health food store with bins and barrels and the basics not overprocessed packaged foods. But, Ellwood Thompson's does still carry vegetarian food, though not as good a selection as they used to.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff

I miss ET - Edit

I have to say, is a NICE natural foods market. I'm in Portland Oregon now, which has a plethora of natural food markets peppered all over the city, and yet none of them quite match Ellwood when it comes to the deli area, especially.

The deli area is what really makes me miss this store. They had awesome pre-made vegan wraps, sandwiches and salads of all types, just waiting. I used to enjoy grabbing some stuff and taking it to a park nearby.

The service is good as well. Only thing is it can get rather crowded quickly. It's in a compact place...

Pros: the vast vegan option in the deli, nice staff, little cafe area

Cons: can get crowded

Vegan delights! - Edit

This store is delightfully surprising in its stash of vegan goodies and foodstuffs! There is a superb rice salad, great vegan burgers and tasty bbq tofu! Perhaps the tastiest is their kale with sesame seeds, I wish I knew how they made it so tasty! For the sweets fanatics, there are muffins, breads and oh yes, cinnamon rolls! If you're in the area, stop in, you won't be disappointed!

Pros: kale, rice, muffins

Best Store EVEEERRRR!!! - Edit

I heart ET to death, if I was without ET I don't know how I could be vegan. Ok I would cook every single meal instead of hitting them up for vegan bbq, indian food on the hot bar, vegan cupcakes, etc, etc!! Keep up the good work...staff rocks your face off with their knowledge & willingness to help you out.

Pros: all organic, all the time, no testing on animals on all beauty care, vegan fun stuff IE the slim jim!!!

Cons: want a restaurant, with ellwoods food, and juice and organic wine/beers!

Gourmet foods at gourmet prices - Edit

Ellwoods use to be a good, down to earth natural food store that would have oats/misc grains on the floor and the staff could talk at length about how to prepare/use products and other misc info. Since the original owner was bought out, the fancy cheeses and wines came in and it is now more of a status symbol to shop there. Still have vegetarian/vegan friendly fare, but the atmosphere can be a deterent.

Pros: good selection, good variety, lots of veg products

Cons: over priced, deli menu is 5 yrs old, poor quality staff

tater_tot I agree with you. Even a couple years ago, university students with hardly any money and people who actually *cared* about the environment used to frequent the store; the parking lot was full of small cars bearing progressive-themed bumper stickers. Now, it's mainly West Enders (read: People With Money) and their gargantuan SUVs, flooding ET's who are demanding the fancy wine and cheeses, and are consequently driving up their prices. Plus, their customer service has truly gone downhill since then. I rarely shop there anymore. I take my business to Good Foods Grocery nowadays.

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ellwood Thompsons closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1956 times since Aug 2007.