Ellen's Stardust Diner

Contact 212-956-5151

1650 Broadway (at 51st St), New York City, New York, USA, 10019

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegan choices such as shepherd's pie, pastas, salads, desserts. A fun retro 1950s theme diner filled with nostalgic memorabilia. Watch 1950s videos on authentic 1956 Predicta televisions and drive-in theatre screen. Unique diner also features a singing waitstaff and variety shows. Loud atmosphere due to singing and customers applauding. Free Wi-Fi. Mon-Thu 7:00am-12:00am, Sun 7:00am-12:00am, Fri-Sat 7:00am-1:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by davidkim

Vegan's Be Wary - Edit

There are 2 vegan items: pasta with no sauce and vegan Shepherd's Pie. The veggie burger is NOT vegan (sorry to the previous reviewers who assumed it was). This assumption is understandable as the menu is not at all clear (see below) and our two different wait staff told us that it was vegan, luckily we insisted that they check with the kitchen and they found out it has eggs in it.

Good: it's a really cool place - the staff sing karaoke style pop and broadway songs and they're fair, fun entertainers. The large selection of in-house made vegan cakes is AMAZING and unique. They are named after musicals and a fair size for $8.50. For a late-night vegan dessert date, this is perfect.

I personally like that the servers are very laid back and casual. I don't mind things like them spilling my mom's float all over her glass and serving it anyway in exchange for no pretense and super fast service. I do not like the casual attitude about vegan/vegetarian items though. In a meat diner, this is one thing, but in a place that advertises having vegan options this is more of a problem that none of the staff had any idea what items could be made vegan and told us non-vegan ones were vegan.

Bad: The menu has one item with a V-vegan sign beside it (sauce-less pasta $17), another with a green box around it and a V (vegan shepherd's pie $17-18), and one more with a big green box around it, no V (veggie burger $16-17). Apparently, this last green box means vegetarian but not vegan, unbeknownst to the wait staff or to any guest that thinks logically.

The restaurant could go a LONG way to being more accomodating by having a few simple vegan dishes. Like, french fries maybe? (None of the sides are vegan) Or a veggie dog or veggie burger without eggs? Or one fun sandwich like BBQ tofu? Seriously not that hard to do and it would make a huge difference. Something easy and fun so that vegans could join their non vegan friends in the fun, loud, diner experience. Why advertise that you have vegan options if the only one is Shepherd's Pie?

This place could be a vegan destination with a couple easy vegan dishes and their delicious vegan cakes. The singing staff and loud, fun atmosphere and the super fast service is great. Unfortunately, they have no committment at all to accomodating vegan guests. I guess the dessert chef just likes making vegan cakes and that's the extent of it.

For late-night dessert - 5 stars. For a vegan-friendly restaurant dinner - 1.

Pros: Fun atmosphere, Great vegan cakes, Fast

Cons: Very limited options, Expensive, Unknowledgable staff

Yum! - Edit

Despite the cold long line outside Ellen's the wait really wasn't all that bad! The vegan shepards pie was delicious with tons of flavor and filling too. Don't forget dessert because the Wicked cake is absolutely wicked good! I can't wait to go back the next time I'm in New York!

Best Diner I Have Ever Been Too - Edit

This diner is just amazing, the staff are incredible, entertainment WOW, great selection of vegan food. Visited several times on my visit to NYC

Pros: Entertainment, Amazing Staff

Cons: Very busy, Vegan food could be improved

Vegan-friendly: A must for this unique atmosphere! - Edit

I've been there with a friend of mine living in NY and I was not disappointed. Apart from the food, the place and the principle of singing and dancing waiters/waitresses is great! They are so good! Eating here will offer you a very nice show on Broadway. And you can eat vegan American food!

In terms of food, I took a vegan burger (Jack Lalanne) that was delicious and generous. There were also other vegan options but I didn't try them. The service was really nice and if it was a little expensive for a burger, the whole experience worths the cost.

Pros: really good vegan options, great vibes!, service, location, singing staff

Cons: not cheap

Great start to our day !! - Edit

I took my daughter to the city on 8/16/14 for her birthday. The restaurant was exactly where it was supposed to be, a short walk from Grand Central. At 11:00 am there was a big line, but it was handled well and we were seated quickly. LOVED the place. Typical offerings for the vegan, quinoa, black bean burger, but it was good with fresh, well prepared veggies. My Daughter, when given the chance, will eat anything and she wasn't disappointed. Atmosphere was very fun and I will return to show my wife next time we get a chance to go. Two sandwiches and two coffees with tip....$50

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ellen's Stardust Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3606 times since Jan 2014.