Contact 413-644-8999

70 Railroad St, Great Barrington, Massachusetts, USA, 01230

Small vegan restaurant, tea salon, and and elixir bar. Offers 3 menus: mid-morning tea time, lunch, and dinner. Open Mon 10:00am-6:00pm, Thu 10:00am-6:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-8:00pm, Sun 10:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Fusion

First Review by mread

Delicious though pricey - Edit

Looking for gluten-free vegan food in the area I was psyched to find Elixir. Nancy and the staff were very friend and accomodating. One of the best Thai coconut curries I've ever had, though for dinner it was $25.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-27

Pros: Delicious healthy food, Very friendly

Cons: Expensive

Wonderful Vortex for Organic Vegan Sustenance - Edit

Excellent source for organic vegan sustenance, and an amazing atmosphere that is comforting and enlightening! So many great dishes, teas, and pastries!The being who runs this place is truly amazing, and emanates love to all the food, as well as to the people who walk into this vortex. The place feels like a scene straight out of a movie like Harry Potter, Elixir and everything in it is alive and conscious.

Great Restaurant in the Heart of Great Barrington, Mass. - Edit

Elixir is one of those great finds for a hungry vegan looking for healthful and delicious food that you can trust will be good for you. Thoughtful owner, Nancy, is attentive to individual restaurant-goer needs and service is friendly and prompt.

A Truly Magical Tea Salon and Café - Edit

Since stumbling upon Elixir on a cold and snowy January day, I have returned countless times for the unparalleled food, the peaceful and cozy atmosphere, and the heartfelt conversation and kinship among those who gather here. I haven't had an Elixir meal that I didn't love, and the green leaf and blue flower printed tea cup from which I have sipped my tea so many times has become synonymous with contentment and peace.

Elixir's food, tea, and desserts always satisfy and never fall short of perfection. Whether coming in for savory morning porridge at breakfast, a hummus plate at lunch, or a rice bowl at dinner, I feel better and more restored in my body, mind, and heart after each Elixir meal. As a busy full time student at a nearby college, Elixir has kept me sane on more than one occasion when papers have mounted and the pressure of school has run high. At Elixir I am reminded to slow down, to take care of myself, and to make time for my well-being. When I caught the fall semester illness going around campus this year, I was nursed back to health by many cups of Nancy's tea blend for colds and the curried rice bowls that helped clear my congestion.

This review wouldn't be complete without some recommendations. As for drinks, the turmeric ginger Elixircino is delicious, the perfect indulgent and warming drink on a chilly day. The hummus plate with toast and salad greens is a go-to snack or appetizer. And everything on the breakfast menu is delicious. Like a hobbit, I am partial to my second breakfast, something embraced at Elixir!

This wonderful tea salon and café is truly magical. The things that happen within these walls are difficult to explain and almost must be experienced for oneself. I would recommend a visit to anyone in a heartbeat. Thank you, Nancy, for opening a café that has brought healing and joy to so many (and happiness to our taste buds). Your cooking, compassion, and all that Elixir stands for has been a gift to everyone who crosses the threshold and enters into this beautiful place.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-21

Pros: Wide selection of tea, All vegan and all DELICIOUS, Serene atmosphere

ELIXIR of LIfe - Edit

Last night was a special occasion, my son’s 23rd Birthday.... What better place to celebrate than at ELIXIR where we reserved the entire restaurant for a gathering of his dear friends. From appetizers to dinner, the cuisine was delicious. And to our surprise and delight, we had the most heavenly vegan chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. It was rich and moist and spectacular.
Thank you Nancy for a sensational meal and Thank you Aly for assisting.

For those who haven’t been to Elixir............what are you waiting for......... The delightful marriage of cozy atmosphere and mouth-watering home made organic food, is the perfect match. Nancy, the owner & chef, takes great care in selecting the best quality organic ingredients and prepares a meal of the most exquisite flavors.
This dining experience will be a memorable one, I promise.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-16

Pros: all vegan, delicious/all local ingredients, friendly & attentive owner and staff

Cons: I wish I could cook like that

Destination Delicacies - Edit

This is a restaurant worth the trip for anyone, vegan or not. My husband and I take day trips two or three times a year to Great Barrington for the shopping, the scenery, and the restaurants, many of which are very vegan-friendly. Now we have a true vegan restaurant in Elixir! And what a healthful indulgence!

The small dining area is cozy and eclectic lending it an informal, comfy vibe. We were there on a chilly, overcast day and it felt nice to settle in with a pot of Ceylon tea which we ordered from a nicely rounded tea menu.

I ordered the tempeh Rueben and my husband had the brown rice and beans bowl. My Reuben was delicious and flavorful but not sloppy like some vegan Reubens tend to be when vegan mayo gets overused. The crisply grilled tempeh was complemented with tangy brown mustard and golden sauerkraut. I had plentiful fresh greens. My husband's rice bowl was simple and delicious- brown rice, black beans, greens, and a hearty slice of butternut squash, all sprinkled with pumpkin seeds. The portions were generous, but we finished everything!

The food selection is definitely healthy and healing, as the name Elixir implies. And this is a place that proves that "healthy" and "delicious" are not mutually exclusive when it comes to a whole-foods, plant-based menu.

We finished our meal on a decadent and mouthwatering note by sharing a slice of super moist dark chocolate cake. It was just so good! We savored every bite of the gooey cake as we finished our pot of tea.

Owner/chef, Nancy Lee, was friendly, as was her server. Nancy seems dedicated to locally sourcing as many of her ingredients as possible and to providing scrumptious and uncompromising vegan food.

This place is so worth the trip! We live a little over an hour away but already have plans to go again next week. Go to Elixir! Indulge and be healthy.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-10

Pros: all vegan, delicious and healthy food, friendly server and owner

Cons: I can't think of one

Return to Great Barrington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Elixir closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.