Get the HappyCow App

HappyCow mobile application
The App Stores #1 vegetarian and vegan restaurant guide
Thousand of listings across the globe
Featured on CNN, NY Times, and Wall Street Journal
Download the app

© HappyCow 2018

Elita

403-609-2613

107-743 Railway Ave, Canmore, Alberta, Canada, T1W 1P2

Serves meat, vegan options available. Formerly Sunfood Cafe, a vegetarian restaurant, now no longer vegetarian since 2008. But has a few vegan options.

Categories: Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by jd6

madisavv

04 Mar 2018

Delicious! - Edit

Small, family owned business who are very friendly and knowledgeable about any dietary restrictions. We were lucky enough to come at a time that wasn't busy and got to speak with the chef. He told us that as everything is made from scratch he can happily prepare many things on the menu vegan. I had the green Mediterranean fantasy and it was absolutely delicious.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

michael.morrison

01 Oct 2017

Not Recommended - Edit

Unlike other reviewers I did not have a great experience here. I found it extremely expensive for the very basic meal that you get. It is clear that most things are cheaply made with simple store bought sauces. The dishes are something that I would prepare in a few minutes, so not worth the high price. The taste of things is OK, but would still feel like a rip-off at half the price. The nachos were a relatively small pile of corn chips with a couple pieces of tomato/pepper and the odd bean on them, with store bought guac/salsa. I expect more for an almost $20 appetizer. The peach-mushroom-tofu curry which people seemed to like had one barely identifiable fragment of soft tofu. For a dish with tofu in the name this is not really acceptable.

Cons: Way too expensive

isabellar

Contributions +26

09 Sep 2017

great restaurant ! - Edit

It was quite so we were iffy to walk in. But the service was great and the vegan options were very yummy !

Cons: bit expensive (but it's Canmore)

Vegitrd

Contributions +85

Vegetarian
23 Jul 2016

Great vegan find! - Edit

Artfully prepared vegetarian food with great taste, complimented with personalized service. Also the restaurant is very aware of food sensitivity issues i.e. Gluten dairy etc. We also enjoyed the piano music during our meal!

leont

Contributions +198

06 Jul 2016

Great Vegan diner options - Edit

I was very happy with the three real vegan choices on the diner menu. Quite difficult to find in this region.
The Green Mediterranean Fantasy and the Peach Curry with tofu and mushrooms tasted good!

milie

16 Aug 2014

Yum! - Edit

Hands down one of the best vegan meals I've had in my lifetime. We had saffron mushrooms and ras el-hanout rice and could have picked other options. The spices were so delicately balanced, it was a true feast! We went in the middle of the afternoon on a Friday. The dishes were clearly marked (they have a bit of everything, meat, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.)

Go Veg

Contributions +13

Vegetarian
30 Jun 2012

Healthy and Delicious! - Edit

I have visited this place three times over the past two months. I have tried five vegetarian dishes and have been quite satisfied with the volume as well as the quality of the dishes. Among all, I love the pasta which has various kinds of spices. Victor and Lana were very friendly and they always greeted us with a big smile. We will return for sure.

veggiebear

Contributions +45

24 Oct 2010

No Sunfood Cafe. - Edit

At the location, there is a restaurant which I believe is called Elita (it was also listed as Sunfood Cafe on the hotel's restaurant guide, but that's not what it says on the building.)

It is not a completely vegetarian menu, half of the menu is vegetarian and half have meat, with each having 7 choices. The food was fairly good, but it was a bit expensive. Not the best atmosphere either.

Pros: good food

Cons: only half veggie, small menu, not greatest atmosphere

Amanda Chan

Contributions +11

Mostly Vegetarian
23 May 2010

Delicious! - Edit

My husband and I have been to Elita twice in the past few months and we were very impressed with the quality of food that was provided. We have tried four dishes and each has been wonderful. The flavours are brought out in each dish - this is not a restaurant for those that enjoy bland food. There is a great selection of vegetarian dishes from the menu and the chefs are able to adapt meat dishes to suit your diet. We will definitely be back!

Pros: flavourful food, good selection, different types of cuisine

Cons: off the main road

jd6

Contributions +25

02 Sep 2009

Not open & rude staff - Edit

Wasn't open at 4pm on a Saturday?! Guess they don't need the business. We went to see if it was open a staff member rudely snapped "we're closed!" at us! Definitely would not return!

Cons: Rude staff, Not open

Return to Canmore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Elita closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.