Elephant Cafe

• ( 30 reviews )

Jalan Campuhan, Sanggingan (at Near Bintang Supermarket), Ubud, Bali, Indonesia, 80361

A vegetarian restaurant with clearly marked vegan options. Is part of the Taman Indrakila Hotel. Opened 2013. Eco and ethical-friendly. Part of the slow food movement. View overlooks the rice terraces in rural Ubud, about 2 kilometers northwest of the Ubud Palace. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by ole_ersson

agulden

Points +917

26 Jun 2021

great view

I discovered The Elephant during the last week of my stay in Ubud because we moved hotels for my friend’s yoga retreat. It was just down the road basically. One day I popped in to have pad thai and on one of the nights we, as a group, had dinner there.

The whole restaurant with its bar on one wall seem like it is a wide balcony overlooking a lush ravine with a river and a rice field in the vicinity. The view is spectacular.

Everything on the menu is either vegan or vegetarian although most of the vegetarian dishes can be made vegan if you ask. The style of food is somewhat international, including vegetarian versions of some local Indonesian dishes.

I personally picked Ottolenghi’s Sweet Potato Fritters which was served with mango and radicchio slaw. Yes, the name caught my eye. It was nice and I passed down the information to one of Yotam Ottolenghi’s waiters at his Islington restaurant in London that a vegetarian restaurant in Bali has Ottolenghi’s dish on their menu. Small world, right?

Pros: great ambiance, friendly staff

duckchocolate

Points +2075

03 Jan 2020

fair experience

my experience here was alright, i was disappointed at the limited amount of vegan options though. good thing i wasn’t hungry, so i only ordered a dessert for myself.

we ordered:
1. spaghetti bolognese (vegetarian)
i didn’t eat this but i heard its good. smells great, huge portion with cheese and a salad on the side. nice presentation too :-)

2. raw chocolate pie
it was kind of my fault on my end on ordering this (it looks so good) but i’m disappointed taste-wise. never been a fan of raw desserts.
overall it’s quite bitter, great if you’re not too into sweet things and love coconut.

the staff were really friendly which made the experience good. i went at night so there was (unfortunately) A LOT OF MOTHS. the place was a little too dark for my liking too. only candle lights on the tables.

would recommend this place if you’re a vegetarian.

Pros: really friendly staff, nice ambience , a lil pricey

Cons: limited vegan options :-(, LOTS of moths at night

istoleyouralmond

Points +48

17 Dec 2019

Pretty schnazzy

Had mango/passionfruit/pineapple frappes, which were presented beautifully in generous portions and tasted great. Also had the larb, which despite being a bit difficult to physically eat was a delightful vegan snack

veganamanda

Points +251

11 Oct 2019

Yummy food with a view

We visited The Elephant after trying Dumbo (their sister restaurant). Although there was only one vegan main, most could be modified to be vegan easily (remove egg, parmesan cheese). I got the Spaghetti Bolognese and the Chocolate Pie. Both were yummy. My only complaint is that seating it all outside, and we got bit by mosquitos.

Pros: Good menu choices, View

Cons: Mosquitos

Soul2Soul Educare

Points +906

24 Jul 2019

Lovely views and delicious food! Great Vegetarian/Vegan food!

There is another restaurant right next to The Elephant called Dumbo and since we liked some of the menu items at Dumbo but didn't care of the ambiance there (being all club like), we asked The Elephant if we could order from the menu of Dumbo and eat at the Elephant and they agreed! (They have the same owners). This would be unheard of in the US but they were so accommodating in Bali. Loved it! So we enjoyed the vistas, appetizers, drinks and dessert from the Elephant menu and also enjoyed the other yummy food from the Dumbo menu.

The food was delicious at both restaurants and the service was exceptional.

The whole restaurant is open air with gorgeous views of the Campuhan Ridge Walk trail.

Pros: vegan/vegetarian options, beautiful views, great service and music

mjveganfitness

Points +1642

26 Mar 2019

Great for breakfast

Came here twice for breakfast, very good vegan options. We opted for a mix of the sides to create your own savoury breakfast - the hash browns are SO good, as well as tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and they have gluten free bread too. A nice modern looking place overlooking some of the rice fields.

Pros: Vegan options clearly labelled, Gluten free options clearly labelled, Good for breakfast

Dragonking

Points +215

04 Dec 2018

Tasty food but expensive

Have eaten here a few times
Some tasty dishes but expensive.There is a nice view of the valley.A bit of a distance out of town unless you have a motorbike or car.

Pros: Tasty dishes, Nice view

Cons: Expensive, Out of town

acarolina.amorim

Points +272

14 Sep 2018

Great food

Lovely place with an amazing view, a few vegan option but most of them can be made vegan. Parking and easy to access! Friendly staff

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Friendly staff, Terrace

katherine1_28

Points +24

26 Aug 2018

Spaghetti with a view

Lovely relaxed restaurant just a short way away from the hustle of Ubud town. The view is amazing and the menu has a good mix of options.

Pros: lots of options!

burgerabroad

Points +639

05 Jun 2018

Great views and food

The ambience and laid back atmosphere of this spot is great, and the views are excellent. Limited vegan options on menu but staff is happy to veganize if needed. Try the tofu larb, it's delicious.

Pros: great location , good food, friendly staff

Cons: few vegan options

Zazana

Points +106

25 May 2018

Lovely!

Lovely place near the ricefields..view is nice! Food is really good and staff is helpful and friendly. There were a lot of choices and the desserts (sticky rice) and smoothies (dragonbowl) were delicious.

RonjaMalmbo

Points +56

15 Apr 2018

Very disappointed

Nice view but that pretty much is it. Not many vegan options and for breakfast even fiewer. Ordered 3 brekkie toast and one of the plates came without the bread?? Had to ask for it. Kinda fascinating how you can miss the main thing on the plate when they gave bread on the other 2 plates. AND the butter on the plate was not even vegan even though it said vegan as option in menu. The salad was boring and bland.

Cons: Expensive, Boring, Giving non vegan butter even though it said vegan

Becka_w

Points +299

24 Mar 2018

lovely setting

I love the location of this restaurant-overlooking the rice paddies in Ubud. I thought the food could use a bit more flavour and spice. It’s not bad, just didn’t wow me. A nice spot for sunset drinks and dinner.

EmilyNolan

Points +149

Mostly Veg
03 Jan 2018

Lovely

More on the expensive side.. clearly you’re paying for the views - worthwhile though!

maegenq

Points +16

20 Nov 2017

Our favourite place in Ubud

We go to The Elephant whenever we’re in Bali. We love it so much that we booked the hotel next door. The food and atmosphere is great and the staff are friendly.

Pros: The best food, great view, friendly staff

vinz33

Points +172

11 Oct 2017

good

Expensive but good. Coffee is good too.

SusanRoberts

Points +959

22 May 2017

Served egg after asking/confirming what's vegan

Server recommended Pad Thai without egg, after I asked what's vegan. Was served Pad Thai with egg--took me a few bites to find the egg. It's a shame because the restaurant is lovely, and there's a wonderful view. They have free wifi as well. They were nice about it, the manager came to my table and apologized (kitchen, not server error), offering dessert and coffee--which was very good. Maybe safe for drinks and dessert...

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-22

JasonStark

Points +139

06 Mar 2017

not very vegan friendly

nice menu, nice place but not best for vegans. sad that there was a lot of things I couldn't order.

Pros: nice atmosphere healthy except eggs and dairy in m

Cons: eggs and dairy in most things

Smithy

15 Sep 2017

How ridiculous to leave a review like this for a vegetarian restaurant. Really unhelpful!

JasonStark

07 Jan 2019

Happy cow is promoting vegan not vegetarian. It would be helpful if eggs and dairy were not served.

KokoPaulli

Points +86

08 Feb 2017

Great tastes and clean food!

A repeat experience considerating the many menu options. Always have had a great experience and felt amazing after a meal here.

Pros: plenty of vegan accommodations

Cons: Fair priced fusion Fare

freezer966

Points +176

22 Dec 2016

Great choice!

Very nice asian fusion restaurant. Thai, Indonesian and some japanese influences. Everything comes with great flavour. Also they don't use plastic.

Pros: great flavours, beautiful restaurant

Lizzyy

Points +52

17 Sep 2016

INCREDIBLE

Absolutely loved my meal here. The vegan options are plentiful and clearly marked. I had the laksa without egg, and garlic bread with an eggplant dip. Both were so good! Drinks are interesting and delicious too. I had a "coco-cocaine cooler" yum.
The restaurant itself is lovely and boasts amazing views looking out onto stunning greenery.

Pros: Great vegan options, It's not at all hippie, Will impress non-vego friends

Cons: none!

CherylKqy

Points +157

07 Sep 2016

Best meal In Ubud

We were greeted to a lovely interior and an amazing night view on the outside.

Vegan choices are slightly lesser but everything that we have were absolutely delicious. Our table was filled with oooh and ahhhh.

RebeccaWillén

Points +66

21 Aug 2016

Few vegan dishes and options

Beautiful place and views. Disappointingly few vegan dishes. This place is not really on my top 10 list on places vegans should visit in the Ubud area.

Pros: Beautiful place

Cons: Only 1-2 vegan dishes

EmilySmith93

Points +22

02 Mar 2016

I was in heaven it was amazing!

The views are gorgeous, service and food were amazing! Also was so excited to get a cashew milk frappacino in Bali and it was so delicious! Love the Eco friendly mission they have it was so nice to see them using sustainable reusable items such as bamboo straws and fabric napkins. Vegan dishes are marked but they're happy to adjust most dishes to be vegan. Was our first time in Ubud and sad to just be there for the day will definitely stay in Ubud next time so that we can come back here again. They had a promotion on to get a free juice coffee or chai when you post a picture on Instagram and tag them @the_elephant_ubud and just show the waiter your post.

eatinggreen

Points +608

21 Feb 2016

Beautiful location; food is only so-so

We were swept away when we first walked in to The Elephant. The views over the valley are stupendous - we felt like we were in a fairy tale. Service is very attentive and friendly and the décor is casually rustic but chic at the same time - perfect for Bali.

The menu looked great on first inspection but we did feel a definite lack of love for the vegan population - almost everything has dairy or eggs in it as a main feature. We ordered what we could find which was just enough for the two of us for dinner. The dishes unfortunately didn't quite live up to expectations. The laksa for example was a sour Penang style soup rather than the richly spicy curry-like Singaporean dish we had in mind. The coconut noodle soup was a bit too weak for our tastes, probably because the chef is not a vegan chef and is not adept at achieving balanced taste profiles without the use of animal products. There were other dishes but mostly forgettable and with similar stories.

My partner was not keen on going back but I had a chance to pop in again alone just recently for brunch. From the brunch menu I basically had the option of either porridge or toast - pretty lame in terms of vegan selections. I opted for toast with tahini and banana. It tasted pretty much exactly as imagined but let's face it - it's a tough one to screw up ;) Enjoyed the ambience and service though and would probably go back again if the opportunity arose, more for the vibe than the food. It will take a lot of convincing to lure my foodie partner back though.

Pros: Ambience, Service, View

Cons: Vegan options are lame

rogeryang

Points +49

19 Dec 2015

Great place! Excellent food.

Beautiful views, great food. So far, my favorite restaurant in ubud.

Pros: Great food, Views

jesse558

Points +312

19 Jun 2015

Good Times

Food is decent, went to elephant about 3 times during our stay in Ubud. Great views and excellent service, happy to help with learning Indonesian and Balinese, free wifi available.

Return to Ubud Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Elephant Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.