CLOSED: Elaine's Healthy Choice

Contact 203-773-1897

117 Whalley Ave (at Broad Way), New Haven, Connecticut, USA, 06511

100% vegan Jamaican take-out restaurant in New Haven. Staff is enthusiastic about veganism. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by beardxpunx

Superb! - Edit

I had the pleasure of tasting 3 amazing entrees from this establishment. I had the: Curry Vegetables, Veggie Fish and the Veggie Chicken Bites (BBQ). All three were amazing and the meat substitutes could fool the most avid meat-eater. If you ever find yourself in or near the Yale University area, do yourself a favor and stop in!

Pros: good food, great prices, outstanding service

Cons: limited parking

Amazing ALL Vegan restaurant - Edit

Almost 100% natural food preperation... totally vegan and amazing!! Tons of things to choose from and they all taste great and the portions are large! The owners are pleasant and friendly and make you feel like you are at home when you eat there.

Pros: Amazing selection, Great pricing, Large portions

Cons: Closed Saturdays

I love Elaine's! - Edit

Elaine's is one of those places where anything you order is going to be tasty. The owners are so friendly and remember you!(...especially if you're there once a week like me) My favorite is the Mac and cheese and the Pepper Steak. I order both every time. I just had the veggie fish and it was awesome too! Everything is reasonably priced and available for take out! It is definitely worth checking out!

Pros: Tasty food, Healthy and Vegan!, Friendly Owners and they deliver!

Cons: Location is not downtown New Haven

Fantastic food!! - Edit

Generous portions of fantastic Caribbean vegan food. The space is small, but clean and welcoming and the guy who was working that day was very friendly. I had the black pepper steak and my husband had a combo platter, which included barbecued seitan, curried lentils and mac 'n cheese. Everything came with a side of fresh and crispy salad. If you're hungry in New Haven, this is the place. It doesn't matter if you're vegan or not. Extra points for the clean bathroom!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Awesome!!!!!!!! - Edit

I love this place! I esp. love the pepper steak dinner. It is not easy in CT to find a place with great mock meats. Elaines is that place. The staff is so friendly and helpful. I want to see this little place become a New Haven staple for vegetarians, vegans and even omnis who want to try eating a little healthier. I have also tried the BBQ chicken bites and the fish...they were spectacular. The rice and beans is delicious. Ive tried the split pea soup as well and it was SO good that I am craving it right now! I cannot wait to go back to Elaines and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Elaine's is a breath of fresh air for vegetarians and vegans who are tired of the same old , same old. Check it out!!!!

Nice addition to New Haven's Restaurant Scene - Edit

This place is nice for on the go dining, since it doesn't (yet?) have any tables for dining in. It is conveniently all vegan, and the woman at the counter, who must be Elaine, was exceptionally friendly. I had the curried "chicken" pieces with rice and beans, which was wonderfully delicious! I also tried split pea soup, which was perfect. Also on the menu is a pepper-steak option, as well as a mock-fish option, and servings come with bread, and with salad if ordering the large portion. Although the menu is now small, that makes choosing easy, and we can look forward to new additions! I'm looking forward to returning to new haven so that I can try the pepper-steak! Also, the restaurant looks quite nice, and is brightly painted a pleasant mild orange.

Pros: All Vegan, Friendly, Delicious

Cons: take out only, probably not organic (?)

welcome to new haven - Edit

nice new place. i have eaten here twice both times the food was good. sadly the options is limited but the owner told me that once business picks up he will be expanding the menu.

Pros: 100% vegan, pepper steak, on my way home from work

Cons: limited menu, no dinning room, whacky hours

Return to New Haven Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Elaine's Healthy Choice closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 368 times since Jan 2009.