Elaichi Vegetarian Street Food

Contact 01-40389757

7 rue du Faubourg Saint-Martin, Paris, France, 75010

Vegan restaurant offering organic, made-in-house Indian street food. Oct 2016 reported fully vegan. Open Tue-Sat 12:00pm-2:30pm, Tue-Sat 6:30pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Indian, Organic, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by hippywoman

Good vegan indian food - Edit

I had dinner at Elaichi and enjoyed my meal. You have to choose 4 out of 6 dishes to put in your plate, most of them being curries, vegetables and rice. They were good and portion are generous. I also tried their samossas that were good even if they use pastry sheet instead of dough. For dessert, I took the vegan milk rice that was simple but good too. On the whole, I enjoyed the experience, the waiter was friendly, the price was really fair and you can have some Indian beer. The choice is rather limited but it worth a try sometimes when in the area.

Pros: 100% vegan, inexpensive, nice vibes

Cons: limited choice

original et sympa - Edit

Le concept est totalement vegan et bio selon le serveur qui nous l'a indiqué plusieurs fois. Cependant il est possible d avoir des nans au fromage (partage avec un autre restaurant ? ). le restaurant est également l entrée d un bar à cocktail. Nous avons pris les entrées (samoussas et raita) et le plats -possibilité de choisir 4 légumes. Le ambiance est agréable et le serveur sympa.

Pros: premier restaurant indien vegan, plats avec 4 légumes ce qui permet de tester plusi, ambiance bar gréable

First Vegan Indian Cafe in Paris - Edit

Visited in October 2016.

Elaichi is a fully vegan cantine serving indian food, which is something Paris didn't have (yes, the name is misleading).
It's located very close to the Strasbourg-St Denis station on metro lines 4, 8 and 9; and it's walkable from Republique station.

They offer about 6 different dishes (curries + rice/lentils) each day, and also side dishes such as samosas, raita, roti, etc.
Desserts include halwa, rice pudding or tapioca.
There are two sets to choose from, one costs €10 and includes 1 appetizer or dessert + small portions of 4 dishes; and the second set costs €12 and includes all of the above.

On the day we visited we had curries of aubergine, potato, pumpkin, zucchini and red lentils; and also the rice pudding and tapioca.
We found the food not to be spicy, compared to what normal Indian restaurants offer; but it worked for us.
The desserts were ok; too bad they didn't have Halwa available. We also had a lassi and a lemonade, which were quite good.

The cafe is not so big (accommodates around 20 people I guess); and, as I understood from the staff, during weekdays it gets busy; so if you could make a reservation that would help.

The staff was friendly and attentive; and assured me many times that they are vegan, even by explaining the ingredients they used.

Pros: indian vegan, location, good value

Cons: none

Très bizarre - Edit

Strange restaurant. We went because the food was all vegan. When we went it is buffet-style and you choose 4 (out of 6) curries which you can eat with rice or roti. I would have preferred that you could choose less (like 2 or 3 curries) as I wasn't that hungry for 4). During our meal we found out that the room at the back was a separate omni restaurant. The waiter insisted that there were different kitchens for both restaurants (personally important to my family) but a waiter from the other restaurant brought a plate out so I am really unsure about this. If we had known this earlier we would've gone elsewhere. The waiter also kept encouraging us to go to the omni restaurant which to us was a bit WTF (maybe this was because he wasn't veg*n). The food was okay, pretty bland but they do give some chutneys which are quite spicy.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-18

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Elaichi Vegetarian Street Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.