El Vergel

Contact 877064850

Carrer Major 11-13, Tarragona, Spain, 43003

First vegan restaurant in the city. Located in the heart of the historical district. Daily and weekend menu with organic ingredients. High quality teas. Cozy and nice decor. Open Mon-Sun 1:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic

First Review by MeriSero

Stranded in Tarragona turned out great - Edit

On our way to the mountains we got stranded in Tarragona and before heading in the woods to sleep we decided to check out the one vegan place there was.
What an incredible experience!
This was the best food I have ever eaten and that at a ridiculous price.
The waiters were super friendly and gave us some recommendations on where to sleep.
A food experience I won't soon forget!

Pros: Best food I had, Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Big restaurant

In a room with a window in the corner I found truth - Edit

The beautiful autumn shadows played their way across the Plaça de la Font in the picturesque coastal town of Tarragona. Time for a quick beer. At 80 European cents this was the cheapest Estrella I've ever had (and also one of the best). Then the time arrived to take the short walk to the highly recommended and rated El Vergel. Nervous? Yes. I always experience a form of twisted anxiety when entering highly anticipated vegan places. Upstairs, there was indeed a room, we were invited to sit in the corner right by the window, and then proceeded to find truth. We opted for the 3 course menu at €17.50. To start we had shiitake mushroom and seaweed tempura and brussel sprouts sautéed a in pomegranate and gooseberry reduction. The main courses were Argentinian empanadilas filled with chorizo and cheese and eggplant stuffed with tomato, basil and Parmesan wrapped in pasta. For dessert a Hazelnut cake and a chocolate and coffee milefeuile. Every mouthful of every course generated intense emotion and discussion. El Vergel you are now invited to enter my top ten Happy Cow listings. The only bad thing about this whole situation is that I need to decide which place to displace.

Pros: great food, great setting , wonderful staff

Cons: Find one and let me know

exceptional - Edit

This is a very special restaurant. It excels on so many levels. It is so fresh and tranquil. The restaurant sends a clear message that veganism is about beautiful animals and delicious food. The restaurant is artfully decorated with pictures of animals enjoying the life that they deserve, the pictures reflect their unique personalities and highlights the reason for being vegan. The ethics of this establishment are also evident by the animal charities that it supports and promotes and also by the pro vegan products it sells. The gourmet food is seriously out of this world, my partner was left speechless which doesn't happen often. I left feeling truly uplifted, knowing that a vegan restaurant of such a high standard like this exists, I defy even the most anti vegetarian to find fault.

Pros: everything is amazing

Cons: nothing at all

Espectacular - Edit

En pleno centro de Tarragona en un local chulísimo y muy acogedor.

Se respira libertad.

Comida original, fresca, de temporada, riquísima y más que suficiente.

Atención amable y con conocimiento de los platos y bebidas.

Y el remate: dogfriendly.

Pros: Precio, calidad y cantidad. Tienda y recogida de d

Amaizing!!!! - Edit

This restaurant is amazing!
The food is great, staff is very kind people and the environment is really nice! Also, you can find books about vegan cooking and information about animal rights. It is excellent!!

Us recomano molt aquest restaurant es menja molt bé i el personal és molt amable, altrament i podreu trobar molta informació sobre cuina vegana i activisme en defensa dels animals.

Sublime! - Edit

This is one of the best restaurants I've visited, both in terms of atmosphere and food. It's also in a great location, on the main street through the old town.

The lunch menu has three courses, bread and water for €13.50, which is good value for money in terms of quality of food, but also quantity - the starters were huge! We loved the arancini starters, they were perfectly cooked. The pflammkuchen was good, as was the leek, apple and cream cheese puff pastry parcel. The cherry pie was nice, but I wish the savarin was a little more special. The white chocolate cream was sensational, but I wish the cake was more exciting too.

Everything was so good, including the service. Highly recommended. It was packed by the end of lunch service, so I'd recommend booking.

Pros: Excellent food, Lovely place

Delicious - Edit

The food was very tasty. We had the chorizo starter and then choose over the menu. We appreciated a lot the desert (exquisite and subtle)
The waiter was really nice.
The restaurant is perfectly located in the old town of Tarragona.
I would recommend this place a 100% also because they aim for the true goal of veganism!

Pros: tasty food, quick, location

Cons: none

Exquisite - Edit

This restaurant is nothing short of outstanding in every way... decor, service, presentation and flavor.

A friend and I went here twice in the two days we spent in Tarragona, and wish we could have gone a third time! As it was, by sharing plates we managed to try almost all of the dishes on the menu at the time, though I understand the menu changes regularly. Basically, I was more impressed by El Vergel than I was by any of the 18 or 19 places I ate at during a three-week stay in Barcelona.

My favorite dishes were the ajoblanco (garlic and almond) soup with fresh shiitake and sesame oil, the fennel and mushroom omelette with marinated artichokes, the red lentil dhal, the carrot/curry croquettes with passionfruit aïoli, the lime sorbet and the rose marmalade cheesecake.

The decor was beautiful, predominantly a clean white with art nouveau floor tiles and birch-pattern flooring in another area, plants, creative chandeliers, small prints and cute restroom signs.

Near the front there is a good selection of books in Spanish, including The China Study and some cookbooks. You can also pick up a T-shirt or tote bag with inspiring animal-positive messages.

I also really liked the sign next to the door that people see as they leave, which reads "You have saved lives today". This is so true, for vegan restaurants, and it's a very important message to convey.

Pros: elegantly presented gourmet dishes, beautiful decor, great service

Cons: none

this is the place. - Edit

what a wonderful surprise we had. it's in the center of old city and as soon as you walk inside you you already love this place. super nice decoration, where you can also buy books, tshirts, and even vegan dog and cat food.
but oh my, when you sit and start reading the menu... soo hard to choose, everything sounds wonderful! and actually it is! all four of us where absolutely delighted and over the moon when we ate. we were even thinking on going back the very next day!!
you can get a starter, main, dessert and bread for just 13.50 euro. gluten free choices and a huge list of wine and beer list.

Pros: wonderful food, lovely service, good price, good l

Great location, better food! - Edit

It was my first visit to Tarragona and my first meal in a completely Vegan restaurant. All meals looked wonderful and they tasted even better! The price is not too bad; if I remember correctly, the "menu del dia" costs 13 euros during the week and 18 euros in the weekend. They also have a good selection of beers from a microbrewery in Tarragona and the best vegan pumpin cake I've ever eaten!

Pros: -Delicious vegan food!

Cons: - We had to wait a bit because there was line.

Highly Recommended - Edit

Light, beautiful environment and a 'menu set' make this place a delight and a true find! One of the most enlightened vegan places I've been to and I've travelled all over the world. Do not miss this place!

Pros: light, airy interior, exceptional all-vegan set menu, better than gourmet food

Nice place, good food! - Edit

I came here after a long traveling day. Everything was good. Maybe not great, but good. The dessert was amazing. Just one problem: servings were very small! I would have eaten two menus... And I usually eat like a bird! Anyway, it's a very nice place, with a nice staff and good food. Recommended

Best veggie option in town - Edit

They have a daily menu that changes everyday with lots of options! Very healthy and great taste, great size of the portions. I will definitely come back.

Pros: variety, size portion

Cons: book in advance

Close, but no cigar - Edit

el vergel is a beautiful space, managed by nice people, and serves food that is incredibly well executed
sadly, except for the stuffed mushroom starter and the croquettes, the food is lacking in any real zing - it seemed as if the chef was afraid of flavour.

Pros: lovely space, reasonable price, great wine list

Cons: no depth of flavour, too much fake meat

A great vegan fine dining experience - Edit

I was delighted to find this place. The white interior with large, leafy plants made for a wonderful ambience.

The menu was creative and very impressive. I had pumpkin and vegan cream cheese, daal with dried apricots and sprouts, then a brownie with ice cream and chocolate sauce. 3 courses for €18.

The staff were friendly and there was a menu in English.

Pros: Great place, Creative menu, Friendly staff

El Vergel - They've Done It So Well - Edit

Like entering some sort of vegan heaven! The restaurant decor is beautiful, even a visit to the toilets is a pleasure! Lots of engaging details have been considered in the design of the interior and service is fantastic to match.

Dishes were imaginative and really well cooked and presented. The also serve a huge range of different types of tea and juices also - so you can call in here at any time for those.

An amazing place to find in Tarragona. It is a little bit expensive; but the overall experience makes it fully worthwhile. Go here and you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Everything

Absolutamente buenisimo!!!!!!!! - Edit

Pros: Buenisima comida vegana, Personal encantador, sitio estupendo y acogedor

Vegan paradise - Edit

I'm really happy that there is a vegan restaurant in town, finally! The food is amazing, the staff is friendly and the decoration is beautiful. It's a bit pricey though but it's worth every cent, plus the food is bio. It's great for fancy or special occasions (birthday, date, anniversary...).

Es genial que por fin haya un restaurante vegano en Tarragona! La comida está deliciosa, el personal es amable y la decoración es muy bonita. Es un poquito caro pero lo vale, además todo es ecológico. Es perfecto para ocasiones especiales como cumpleaños, citas, aniversarios...

Pros: awesome food, friendly staff, beautiful decoration

Good vegan restaurant - Edit

Fuimos en menú de fin de semana nos encantó.
De momento, sólo tienen menú pero está muy completo, con un primero, segundo, postre y café o infusión.
Las raciones nos parecieron un poco escasas pero la verdad, es que si haces todo el menú te quedas bien....ni muy lleno ni con hambre.
Muy recomendable y muy contentos de que haya un restaurante de este tipo por fin en Tarragona!

A really good choice if you are visiting the city and you would like to try vegan/vegetarian good food. Friendly staff and nice decoration. Perfect place to have a break.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 13, 2015

Pros: Platos elaborados, Decoración, Trato del personal

Cons: Precio, Raciones escasas, Falta de carta o de tapas

TresDedosdeFrente 19 Jan 2015 - Sitio y comida superiores!!!!!!!! Absolutamente recomendado! Buenisimisimo todo, la comida el trato de la gente y el sitio!Menú variados y super originales! Un paraíso vegan! :) :) :)

Return to Tarragona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Vergel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.